Any ideas for building a group tarp shelter with 2 Chinook tarps?

Macchina

Gold Member
I have 2 large Chinook tarps (12'x9') and we usually hang them in a huge inverted V for a group shelter. It works well but we do all get scrunched in the centercen the walls being so vertical and wind blows in from the 2 open sides. Any ideas for a group shelter that has 3 walls and a ceiling?

PS: we set this up for a week long pack-in hunt and I've been thinking about buying/making a large floorless shelter for 7 guys to hang out and eat in. I've been going down the Large teepee path but all the good big ones are many hundreds of dollars... Any ideas?

High up in the trees for a group shelter. they need their gear and space?

These were all done with a 4mx3m (approx 12'x9') tarp, so you could probably do something with doubling up to cover more ground.

You always need more cord than you expect!!!

Chris

These were all done with a 4mx3m (approx 12'x9') tarp, so you could probably do something with doubling up to cover more ground.

You always need more cord than you expect!!!

Chris
Any recommendations for tarps? I'm on the prowl I love that last photo set up

I've owned a few tipis and They are awesome,but, the amount of poles you need and depending on where you'll be setting up is a bit of a detriment.
I'm not sure you'll get by cheap on this one. One option is a parachute over top and the large tarps around the sides. Used parachutes can be had pretty inexpensively.
maxresdefault.jpg

Any recommendations for tarps? I'm on the prowl I love that last photo set up

All those tarps were by Jed Yarnold's UK based True North Outdoors. I don't know what availability is like these days. Jed said at one point he was getting out of importing his tarps. They were made to his specifications, just for him, so not just a re-brand of something generic. PU nylon with 1" webbing down the ridge and at the tie outs.
may still be available here.
https://www.canoeandkayakstore.co.uk/4008715/products/true_north_big_tarp.aspx
Good review of it here:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/19345-True-North-Big-Tarp-Review

Tarp-Configs2.jpg

Depends where you are in the world. Doesn't make a lot of sense for you to buy from a UK source if you are in the US.

The MEC Guide tarp was a similar size, but lighter and with fewer tie outs...but it will be cheaper and easier to get west of the Atlantic ;)

Back on the OP's question, 3 walls and a roof, enclosed, 7 men, room to lounge and eat...

Big flat tarps are not all that efficient for making enclosed spaces. If you had a tarp twice the size, you could make a larger version of what I show above in Image 2, kind of an open front lean-to. You need poles and guys around the back to lift it to give volume, but when strung out properly it is very wind resistant, gets surprisingly warm from body heat.

Regarding parachutes. You can make a tipi type shelter with one, although they tend not to be very efficient with material, unless you can sew and modify the chute. Use double layer. I am told that even without waterproofing they can be pretty dry when filled with people.

Have you tried a Google search for Tarpology? You should get some good ideas for that, looking at Images.

Best of luck!!!

Chris

All those tarps were by Jed Yarnold's UK based True North Outdoors. I don't know what availability is like these days. Jed said at one point he was getting out of importing his tarps. They were made to his specifications, just for him, so not just a re-brand of something generic. PU nylon with 1" webbing down the ridge and at the tie outs.
may still be available here.
https://www.canoeandkayakstore.co.uk/4008715/products/true_north_big_tarp.aspx
Good review of it here:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/19345-True-North-Big-Tarp-Review

Tarp-Configs2.jpg

Depends where you are in the world. Doesn't make a lot of sense for you to buy from a UK source if you are in the US.

The MEC Guide tarp was a similar size, but lighter and with fewer tie outs...but it will be cheaper and easier to get west of the Atlantic ;)

Back on the OP's question, 3 walls and a roof, enclosed, 7 men, room to lounge and eat...

Big flat tarps are not all that efficient for making enclosed spaces. If you had a tarp twice the size, you could make a larger version of what I show above in Image 2, kind of an open front lean-to. You need poles and guys around the back to lift it to give volume, but when strung out properly it is very wind resistant, gets surprisingly warm from body heat.

Regarding parachutes. You can make a tipi type shelter with one, although they tend not to be very efficient with material, unless you can sew and modify the chute. Use double layer. I am told that even without waterproofing they can be pretty dry when filled with people.

Have you tried a Google search for Tarpology? You should get some good ideas for that, looking at Images.

Best of luck!!!

Chris
I'm in ireland so it's handy enough to deal with the UK thanks very much for the info :)

Back