Any ideas who could have manufactured this ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I picked up a Solingen made Boning knife today for 69¢ at Goodwill because I just could not pass it up at the price and because it seemed well made.

It's branded Kitchen Source, and marked Solingen Germany Ice tempered No stain x50crmov15 ( which I understand is very similar to 420hc ).
I've never heard of the brand / importer before, but I'm most curious to find out to who could have manufactured it for this brand.

I'd definitely appreciate any info or thoughts anyone may have.

I found a website called Kitchen Source , but they don't seem to do cutlery and kitchen tools.
They do stove hoods and butcher blocks and stuff, so either it's not the same company or they did offer a line of knives at one time.

Here are a few better pictures of this 5" blade boning knife.

The handle appears to be some sort of resin impregnated laminate, rosewood if I had to guess.

I took to Google searching different combinations / parts of what's marked on the blade.
When I got to " Ice tempered solingin Germany " I found a near exact match by Hoffritz, with only a few suble differences to the handle ( I added the sharpening choil as I always do ).

Last edited:
I forgot that Hoffritz was an importer not a manufacturer so that means I'm no closer to figuring out who actually made this knife for Kitchen Source and Hoffritz.

Many Hoffritz blades were made by F Dick.
Thanks for the info.

It's not an F Dick, but in searching F Dick I turned up a couple Wusthof's that are almost dead ringers.
And of course Wusthof used the x50crmov15 blade steel.

Of course there are minor differences in the handle, but I'd attribute that to the contract or age.
I'm assuming this would be late 90's or something if that website I found is in fact who contracted and imported this knife.

Lots that have passed through my hands were dead ringers for F Dick but they are not based in Soligen.

I was surprised to see a Forschner made by F Dick once and last week saw some Victorinox professional made in Germany. While the handle was unique, if I had to guess based on the blade thickness I would guess F Dick made it.

Jim

Back