Any improvement on the Secure Ex Sheaths

Hi Folks,
I just took delivery of another O1 Natchez complete with its accompanying Secure Ex Sheath. The last O1's Secure Ex sheath that I got has a distressing tendency to roll the edge, I guess due to the glass mix in the polymer. There have been some complaints here about it and I'm curious as to whether anyone has found that recent models now come with improved Secure Ex non-dulling sheaths. I'm planning to commission some leather sheaths for both my Natchezs any way and unless I hear differently, I do not plan on letting the Secure Ex sheath anywhere near my blades.
Thanks for any feedback,
Alan

No. Cold Steel denies there even is an issue with the secure-ex, despite all the people saying otherwise.

No. Cold Steel denies there even is an issue with the secure-ex, despite all the people saying otherwise.

If Cold Steel admits that there's a problem with the sheath as is, they're opening themselves to a lot of liability suits. Think millions of suits.

The best course of action to avoid that would be rework the GFN formula that's being used to lower the glass content percentage, and quietly slip it into production and thus phase out the old formula.

That's what I was hoping that they would do. And that's why I asked if anyone had discovered the improved formula on a recently purchased sheath. Oh well, leather it is.

If Cold Steel admits that there's a problem with the sheath as is, they're opening themselves to a lot of liability suits. Think millions of suits.

Not really. There's no law that requires a sheath not dull the blade, they aren't even obligated to sell you a blade that's been sharpened at all. Now if the knife was punching or cutting through the sheaths causing injury, you could maybe try a liabilty suit, but a sheath dulling you knife? Not even close.

But they decided that calling their customers who have issues with the sheath liars makes them look better than admitting the sheaths were poor.

I don't know how old the knives I bought are (how long they sat on the shelf before I took delivery) but I bought two Cold Steel fixed blades in 2016, a Pendleton Hunter in 3V and a Mini Pendleton Hunter in 3V, and the sheaths dull the peas out of the edges. Drives me insane. I put a knife in the sheath that is fresh off the Edge Pro . . . hair whittling . . . carry it for two days unused. Take the knife out of the sheath and it is _______ up.

Thank you Cold Steel.

Here is one solution I found. The boot knife style sheath for the Peace Maker is so inexpensive they didn't put rocks in the plastic so at least I can use that. Doesn't help you but . . .

So yah you will probably have to have some REAL sheaths made for your knife(vs). Fun, fun, fun, fun

Here is my other solution . . . just let the knife sit around the house out of the sheath and use something else for EDC. that away the edge stays sharp.

Cold Steel this DOES NOT inspire me to purchase more Cold Steel fixed blades even though I REALLY like your knives.

Last edited:
I've not experienced as much dulling of the blades as I have serious scratching along the flats or sides of some blades. On occasion there are also some Securex sheaths that won't release the blade from the sheath smoothly or at all.

Never Say Never Again

I bought the knife, checked it for sharp on my finger nail; it grabbed the nail fairly well, put the knife in the sheath and carried it around the house on my day off, pulled it out a few times to look at it, I never cut anything with it, tried it on my finger nail for sharp and it easily skated across my nail. The ##(*&$#(*&$# edge was totally dull.

To night I spent a fair amount of time with a Spyderco Ultra Fine triangle rod and was able to get it back to sharp again; grabs my finger nail again and shaves hair.

There is no question that the rocks in the sheath dull the knives but if Cold Steel can’t make up their minds about that I suggest their R&D take a Mora sheath (which is just plastic and has no glass fiber or what ever in it) like what comes with their Classic No 1 Wood Handle Utility Knife with Carbon Steel Blade, 3.9-Inch and pull a sharp edge through the edge of the plastic several times as if destressing the edge for an apex sharpening session.
Still sharp huh ?
then
take that same edge and draw it through the edge of the SecureEx sheath, once or twice should do it.
Dull as hell huh ?

How is this glass rocks on the SecureEx a good thing ? It isn’t.

I suppose what I will do is what I have been thinking about for some time; ream out the hollow rivets and add a layer of some material that will be protective of the knife edge. Maybe some sort of cotton rag paper would be enough. Could use leather but that’s not the best either. Got it . . . just plastic.

Sweet.
thanks for listening. I feel better now.

I've noticed that the sides of the blades on my SK-5 Gurkha Kukri and my 0-1 Natchez get scratches from the accompanying Secure-Ex sheaths —
even though they have been meticulously cleaned. Not a super-big deal on a user-blade such as the kukri, but it is definitely annoying on a display/collectors piece, such as the Natchez.

^yes it does. i read somewhere on the cold steel site forum that it was our fault. cause we didnt put the knife in the sheath perfectly and cut the sides and all that glass then scratches the sides of the blade.

might be true except i got a brand new vg1 recon. sat and meticulously slid the knife in without touching anything with the blade sides. slowly and carefully using extreme caution pulled it out and scratches in the teflon on both sides of the blade near the front end about halfway up the blade. end result...impossible for me to have cut both sides at the same time that high up.

knife came not in the sheath but a carboard sleeve and sheath was factory plastic bag sealed. so impossible to have done this as someone once claimed.

worst part is using the knife on a belt doesnt always allow for cautious sheathing. this sheaths are crap. wish cold steel would wake up.

hard use sharpest knives made just dont ever sheath them in a secure ex and you will be good.

This is disappointing to read. Other manufacturers have also done the denial dance. Give us a break!

Back