Any info on the laws for Axes/tomahawk?

I was wondering what the laws are for carrying an axe or tomahawk in public. Is it legal? Are there specifics? I searched it up and didn't get much. Help would be appreciated.

In most states, you could probably carry it in plain sight and not have any worries, especially if it's in a wilderness setting. Concealed is another matter of course. Having it in you car, where you could reach it, is the same as a concealed weapon in most states and will get you arrested. Carrying it in your hand down a busy street will at least get you investigated...

Get a weapon's permit. Then you can carry almost anything without worry. Plus most states recognize each other's. Still, you've got to check individual laws. Here in Montana, weapons permits from any other state are recognized as valid.

Which type (read purpose) and how you carry, open, concealed, or with your camping gear, and the state your in, are all factors. If I carry my Winkler Sayoc under my jacket, in the city, then it's a concealed weapon, IMO and probably most police, judges, juries, etc... That's when a CCW permit comes in handy.
OTOH, if I'm going backpacking with more of a camp hawk, then it's obvious why I have it, and it won't be concealed on my person.

I've got a plan to get my CCW permit very soon, not just to carry a handgun, but to legally carry a small hawk when I want. I've already made my down payment for a Jenny Wren from RMJ, and I also have the Sayoc. I'm also working on an integral G-11 tomahawk, with the idea that it's a "covert" self defense weapon. How sharp I make it is to be determined, because even blunt, it will be a serious impact weapon.

When I need to transport an axe I always try to be as discreet as possible. At the very least sticking it in a backpack or shoulder bag. I've never had any personal problems with the police, but an attendee at a restoration workshop in NYC once told me he was removed from a subway car and questioned by transit authorities about why he had an axe on the subway, and he even had it wrapped in a duffle. After a few minutes they let him go on his way after he explained that he was on his way to learn how to restore it. It was a nice Kelly Perfect that had belonged to his grandfather. He was most grateful that it wasn't confiscated. I figure you gotta know the risks and use your own judgement.

The laws vary from state to state. Here's the knife laws by state. The wording is important. As Oso Grande points out in Texas hawks are explicitly singled out as falling under the definition of 'club' and it's illegal just to carry one (could be different with CCW permitting though, don't know). In Minnesota, where I live, the law states it is illegal to "possess any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully as a weapon against another." Which is murkier and may allow for lawful carrying, but also requires knowledge of self-defense legislation. But it's a discussion I'd rather not have from the back of a squad car.

Do the research, inform yourself, be smart and you should be fine.

As Oso Grande points out in Texas hawks are explicitly singled out as falling under the definition of 'club' and it's illegal just to carry one (could be different with CCW permitting though, don't know)
I assume, that only means urban carry right? As in, I could still carry a hawk when I'm camping?

"Exceptions: official; actor was own premises; was traveling; engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity; security guard"

I'm assuming camping would count as a 'sporting activity.'

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV. I just watch a lot of Law & Order. Seek the advice of your own counsel.

Although all states are different, almost no state allows you to carry anything defined as a "weapon" concealed. As to a CCW permit, they are specifically designed for handguns. No state that I am aware of allows for anything other than a firearm as a concealed weapon. Just because you have a ccw it doesn't allow you to carry anything. I know for a fact here in Ohio the knife laws are almost no existent, they basically states anything used a weapon is illegal to carry concealed. So even if you carry a tomahawk concealed you would have to explain to a cop that it was a tool for a specific task, and even then it is up to him/her if he thinks it is a tool or a weapon. Just my 2 cents

Laws are VERY murky. I agree a CWP doesn't guarentee you the right to carry ANYTHING concealed, but it doesn't hurt. It all depends on the situation.

If you have to USE the hatchet in self defense, be prepared to answer close questions about why, where, and when, you were carrying it. That's the same for everything you carry that's even remotely a weapon.
If you just get caught with the hatchet, you haven't broken any law, you haven't used it, or even taken it out, and you have a wepons permit, I can't imagine the police doing anything to you. A weapons permit proves that you aren't a felon (they'll still check). The "I'm sorry officer. I have a permit and I thought it was OK to carry the hatchet," argument will probably work here.

Your best bet is a good walking stick, or cane. They are probably the only thing you can effectively carry for defense, that is above reproach. I always pump House of Canes. They make a walking stick that is heavy Dymondwood (A super laminate) and REAL quality. They are all custom. If you've never ordered a fitted cane, 1/2 your body height is usually right. In other words, if you're 6' tall (72") buy a 36" cane. It's always good to guess long. You can shorten them, but you can't make them grow. House of Canes even makes a Dymondwood walking stick with a solid brass ball. Here's the page for their Dynondwood canes, but look around, their website:

http://houseofcanes.com/index.php?m...id=705&zenid=72cc6a2c82682ccd187871ae1d722155

I'd get a weapons permit before anything. It's WAY more valuable for the money than a new toy.

Although all states are different, almost no state allows you to carry anything defined as a "weapon" concealed. As to a CCW permit, they are specifically designed for handguns. No state that I am aware of allows for anything other than a firearm as a concealed weapon. Just because you have a ccw it doesn't allow you to carry anything. I know for a fact here in Ohio the knife laws are almost no existent, they basically states anything used a weapon is illegal to carry concealed. So even if you carry a tomahawk concealed you would have to explain to a cop that it was a tool for a specific task, and even then it is up to him/her if he thinks it is a tool or a weapon. Just my 2 cents

Here's a list of what is allowed in Kentucky, with a conceal carry permit....from the Kentucky State Police website..

•Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
•Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
•Billy, nightstick, or club.
•Blackjack or slapjack.
•Nunchaku karate sticks.
•Shiriken or death star.
•Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material

So, I can carry "ANY" knife according to this info. I could carry a 12" blade if I want, so what's wrong with a 11.5" long, 16oz tomahawk with a 2.5" blade? I know that answer would be more up to the Police and the legal system, which may not be the most logical, IMO.

I haven't got around to getting a CCW in Missouri yet, nut have asked quite a few people that know more than I about this and they say that this is for guns only, not knives and such.

Although I walk around now and then with my GB Mini in my back pocket with handle sticking out, no problems yet. But not going around waving it like a Banshee either.

But it isn't a weapon it is a tool? I also have a crap load of the collection in the truck too. either coming from a flea market or taking it to work to use some of the tools there to clean it up.

If they want to hassel you they can find something. Also may depend on rural or metro area.

I believe my state (WA), the CCW permit only allows for concealed carry of a gun, nothing else. The statutes specifically cover concealing dagger, dirk, or any other "dangerous weapon" which is not readily defined (kind of a catch all).

Back