Any Info on This Old True Temper Boy's Axe?

Any idea how old this axe is or how it compares to the really old vintage True Temper Kelly axes? The head weighs about 2lbs 12oz, handle is ~28" and looks good. Does anyone know what time frame to look for if I'm hoping to find a solid axe with hard steel to compete with the modern Swedish offerings? Thanks!
iDJAulv.jpg

BQQ28u0.jpg

iDJAulv

BQQ28u0

New handle's approx. $15 so the head's $35 which seems like a good price. To me it seems high but the most I've paid for an axe was $22 for a Plumb jersey and $30 for a broad axe. I am content to wait for the really good deals in thrift stores, etc and not pay the market price. But that's just me. I'd say get it. Life's short.

Grab it. An FSS boys axe by True Temper is worth it. And that's in pretty nice shape. It's probably as good as any boys axe and surely better than the Swedish stuff.

Oh man, you just helped me figure out what's wrong with the Kelly axe I bought for $3 the other day! Luckily the one I'm looking at buying that I already uploaded photos for has a normal eye (I'm pretty sure the seller just didn't get an accurate weight because of the handle--laid it flat on the scale and tried to support the handle with his hand or something), but the one I already bought and was SO excited about, only to wonder why the butt had a giant lump and why the eye was symmetrical, is definitely a pulaski with the adze cut off. It also weighs 2lb 11oz. Oh well, I only paid $3 for it. You think it's worth rehandling? I can get a 28" cruiser handle for $17, but I've never used a straight handle boy's axe before, no idea how it would feel. I could just save myself the trouble and buy the $50 one...

CNvGo7J.jpg

ZzLt1Fd.jpg

5G38Umi.jpg

A cruiser handle may not really fit, pulaski eyes are almost identical to a regular full size double bit eye, the same length but slightly narrower.
As oversize as most handles are, likely a cruiser can be made to work with an oversize wedge though.

These things work fine really, and a straight handle isn't bad on a boys axe.

That said, a 28" Adirondack would be a neat way to set it up.

Back