Any information on this knife?

Hi all.

I was home visiting my family for the past week and ended up with a new toy. About six years ago my grandmother's brother decided it was time to move into a nuring home. Before doing so, the family had an auction and sold most of what was in his house, with the exception of the clothes he'd need and a trunk of stuff that he took with him. When he died the trunk went home with my grandmother.

Knowing that I like knives, she said there was something in the trunk that I may be interested in, and if so I could have it. So I opened it up and found a rusty old Boker stockman. I don't know if it's an older knife or a more recent gift from a family member that he kept.

The blades are carbon, full and still very sharp (it shaved after going over the white Sharpmaker rods and a strop). I cleaned off a lot of the surface rust but there's some more that needs to come off and I'll do that as soon as I have time. All three blades walk and talk very well with no play.

My scanner died, so I can't get any pictures up yet (I hope to remedy that by tonight or tomorrow), but I'll describe it the best I can.

It's a stockman pattern, same size and blade configuration as my newer 7474. The scales appear to be brown bone as the corners show some wear that would be consistant with bone, but they could be delrin. Bolsters are nickle silver, and I assume the pins and sheild are too. The shield reads "SOLINGEN", the tang stamp has the tree logo on the left side and reads "BOKER/SOLINGEN/GERMANY" to the right of the tree.

EDITED TO ADD: The bolsters are more squared off than the rounded bolsters of the 7474.

When I can, I'll post some pictures. I hope I've done an acceptable job of describing the knife. It's a nice little knife, but my collecting interest lies with Buck so I know very little about Boker... but my interest is growing.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll take a look in the old catalogs for you when I get off vacation.
I'm glad you like it.
Thanks, TJT

I finally got my scanner working so here's some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality on the second picture of the tang stamp.

boker1.jpg

boker2.jpg

Back