Any just round off their tanto's?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Seanski, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Seanski

Seanski

Nov 20, 2007
    Guys,
    Just wondered, if any of you with some of your cheaper tanto knives have just gone ahead and sharpened them just like
    you would any other swept blade and forgone the 2 stage angle sharpening? In other words just rounded it off? If so how is
    it working out for you, sorry you did it, or is it working well? Any pics of what you've done appreciated. I'm thinking of trying
    it.

2. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    I have a Boker that I did that to and it turned into a knife. I don't like "tanto" blades and have seen no use for them.

3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    i do this for ease. if there is a thick line, meaning a high point between the grinds........ separating the two cutting edges....... that gets thin from sharpening as one edge. i sharpen at typically 30 degree inclusive and a secondary bevel at 40 degrees. i find it works well for most steels. to put it into reference.

i haven't noticed any "strength" issues from doing it, but visually i could see some or most not liking it.

4. wolf5391

wolf5391

Sep 23, 2010
    Ive done it to many knives.

my CS gi tanto sucked at chopping until I removed the pronounced yakote and made more of a spanto.

when you do that it also makes the edge thicker. which is more durable when chopping.

5. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I did it to my CS Recon-1 tanto blade. (3rd knife from top). Sorry - I had several pics of it but I deleted them.

[​IMG]

6. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I don't do this to any of my tantos.

Looking at the tanto as a martial arts weapon - there are two main purposes for the secondary tip on the tanto. The first is that during a slash, it pierces and cuts at the same time. The second is a technique known as a snap cut, which involves flicking the blade at your opponent in a fight; it is the fastest strike you can make with a knife.

The tanto point, both traditional and American versions, were designed primarily as weapons. I find that they also have their uses as a tool; scoring, scraping, and while I strongly advocate against doing this with a knife, prying. It's also great for cutting certain kinds of food, like pizza and sandwiches.

7. pvicenzi

pvicenzi

Dec 25, 2008
    I don't understand. if you don't like tanto blades, why get one to begin with? There are plenty of blade options out there.

8. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    My mini cqc 15 is now a spanto(unintentional at first, just went with it), and i love it! After more use and more sharpening my ZT 0700 will be a spanto as well.
    [​IMG]

9. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    This. Most knives available in tanto point are either available in other blade shapes, or there are very similar models from the same manufacturer with different blade shapes.

10. markpmc

markpmc

Aug 10, 2011
    I couldn't find the lefty model of the CRKT M-16 bigdog with a spear point blade. So I took it to the sander ....

[​IMG]

11. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    I agree with post #7.

12. Seanski

Seanski

Nov 20, 2007
    Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts, input, and pics. The one's I've seen pictured look great, nice job. The reason for doing one is that I don't like the look
    of the deep bellied spear point blade crkt does. I'd rather go with the shape of the tanto and go from there like "markpmc" (nice job!) has done.

cheers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  13. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    I did this subtle mod to a Benchmade Mini-Stryker. Can't say that there is much difference in real use but it made sharpening easier anyway.

14. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    Tastes change. I've got a few knives that are not really what I'm into nowadays. I changed my Mini-Stryker because I'm not into tantos much anymore. I like it better now so...

15. Jamboi

Jamboi

Feb 7, 2013
    I think the tanto and reverse tanto are very good utility blades. If I buy a tanto blade knife, I plan on keeping it as a tanto blade knife.

16. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    Dont detanto a tanto...