Any Knife News from the CA Legislature?

A few weeks ago, there was some discussion, here and between AKTI people and some California district attorneys, on tinkering with Section 653K of the penal code concerning switchblades and especially "gravity knives." There was some lively discussion for a while in the "Politics" forum here.

I did a search on the CA Legislature's database this morning at www.leginfo.ca.gov, and I couldn't find any bills that proposed to change anything concerning cutlery in the 2000 session. It's a little late in the session new bills to be introduced, though maybe an amendment could still be tacked onto a bill that's about something else that's more or less related.

Is this a live or dead issue for this session?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Live issue. it will be an amendment. not sure what bill.

i am out of town for next couple of weeks and will ask Chris to update.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

Here is Chris' summary of current events as of today:
"We were unable to secure the bill that we have been seeking. As a result,
we are continuing our search, working through the Senate leader's office and
the Speaker's office. They return on Monday to the Capitol and we should
have direction next week sometime. Even though we have agreement on the
language, I am disappointed that we have not gotten an easy reception on
putting the language into a bill so that we can move it through the process."
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Is the language under discussion the same language that was posted a couple of months ago (on which we forumites had "diverse comments" here), or different?

The language proposed back then was as follows (from the above link):

The current exemption reads: "Switchblade Knife" does not include a knife that is designed to open with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade,...

We are working with the CDAA to add the following language instead of striking the exemption:

...provided that the knife utilizes a detent or other mechanism that (a) provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or (b) biases the blade back toward its closed position.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Back