Any long-term users of the Delica or Endura?

I carry a K390 Endura about every second day and then the ZDP-189 version in my pyjamas most evenings. Reason being they are super light and slim yet pack a lot of blade. The K390 is a beast but does take some maintenance. The ZDP-189 version (now discontinued) is a great kitchen knife. Slices tomatoes and other fruit like nobody's business (will demolish a pineapple). Also more rust-resistant so I use it on food a fair bit. For years I never owned one and then the K390 brought me on board now I'm looking for my third one.

The only criticism I have is I wish polished steel clips were more easily available as replacements for the Endura as I prefer a bare clip to a coated one as clips tend to get hammered and I don't like a half-coated clip. In the same way ladies don't like chipped fingernails. šŸ˜œ

I bought my Endura in 1994. Within a few months I broke the plastic pocket clip and sent it back to the home planet for replacing. They added a really nice metal clip, sharpened it, and sent it back. It was my daily driver until 2013. I used it in both my roles as a Firefighter/EMT and Reserve Police Officer, so it had a very full life. It was never as sharp as I wanted it to be, even after sending it in a couple of times to see what the factory could do. I think it was the steel they used that year, but it never failed to cut what I needed cutting, so in the words of the famed Greek philosopher Mediocrities "Meh, Good Enough". She's retired now.
W9Fob4m.jpg

For a time I was in one place and much of my stuff was elsewhere. What I had with me was a Foliage Green FRN Delica in VG-10 core Damascus. During that time I worked several different jobs. I manufactured plastic, delivered furniture, landscaped, sold Christmas Trees, stocked overnight at Lowe's, ended up at Sam's Club for over 2 years. I kept the Delica clean. I touched it up regularly on the fine stones of the Sharpmaker. It was the only one-hand opener I had to walk to and from work either very early or very late. The tip is intact. Despite all the opinions that it is too thin. Still operates perfectly, I have absolute faith in the Spyderco lockback. Before I could get the Delica out of my luggage, I went right to a sporting goods store and bought a Victorinox Fieldmaster. Just an aside, all those jobs I had, not one of those working men carried a pocket knife. I teach everyone this. My wife works at all the local car dealerships. Inevitably a coworker will ask to borrow your knife. She paused and said, "Now do you need a knife to cut something or do you really need a screwdriver?" Every. Single. Time... the answer is "a screwdriver". I've watched guys take someone else's folding knife and hammer on it. They won't be snapping the tip off my treasured knife. I always carry an SAK, pliers, and a mid sized flathead, and an awl at work. For dealing with rope, I need them all. Spyderco is my favorite brand. Hands down, no regrets.

I don't see the Delica, nor the Endura as "rigorous use knives", therefore, I've never had a problem with either model. Seki-City does an excellent job at manufacturing knives, regardless what the slew of complaints (read: nitpicks based on preferential bias) that they get lashed with on the regular might try and sway your mind otherwise.

I only have experience with the Delica 4 since unfortunately the Endura is not a legal carry where I live. That being said, the Delica has always been enough knife for my EDC needs which include opening envelopes and packages, cutting boxes, light wood and wire, hoses and some plastics. If I need something heavier, I go to a fixed blade. I have owned and used most of the steel variations: VG-10, Super Blue, Super Gold, S90V, ZDP189, Cruwear, and K390. The platform makes an awesome EDC for my use, and I have never had any issues of any kind. The K390 version which I have been using exclusively and on a daily basis for the past few years is my favorite, and it punches way above its weight. The Delica is simply a good great knife!! Thank you Sal and Spyderco for designing and producing such an extraordinary knife.

Back