Any news on the Spydiechef's availability?

I have two 20 year old Sebebzas with no lock inserts. This locks are at 75+% and have not changed in 20 years?
Congratulations. How often do you use them? I’ve sent multiple sebenzas in for spa and tune up, where CRK themselves adjusted the lock spring to bring it back earlier. Why do you suppose they started using the ceramic ball insert in the Inkosi’s lockbar? Have you ever USED a spydiechef for an extended time period? Have you ever had your sebenzas spa’d? I’ve had two spydiechefs go to 100%. One stayed locked up solid at that point, but the other had notable blade play. Also, a spydiechef will never be a sebenza, so let’s try and keep our comparisons apples to apples

Unfortunately in the EU the Spydiechef is since month not available. I plan to buy one if they become available again.
Then I start a long-term test:)

Unfortunately in the EU the Spydiechef is since month not available. I plan to buy one if they become available again.
Then I start a long-term test:)
They appear to be rolling in to stock here in the states all over the place. BHQ hasn’t even sold out there new inventory of them yet, so hopefully you’ll see them popping back up over there very soon. Despite the criticisms I may make, Ive already ordered another ;)

:eek: Dang. Did you ever attempt a warranty return?
No I didn’t, as both has been disassembled (for maintenance, and a scale swap) at some point previously, voiding the warranty. The one that stayed solid at 100% I just kept on using, no sweat. The other, I sold as a heavy user, disclosed the blade play, and discounted heavily to compensate. Everybody’s happy :)

Reactions: mb>
I just received mine so I did the preliminary comparison to compare to my older and non-CQI Spydiechef:

The lock up seems to be even later than the first Gen 'chef which I used to own! Just by eyeballing it, looks like 75% lock up; I don't have my older one anymore, but just going by my fuzzy memory, it wasn't as late as this newer version.

The dreaded lock-stick is again present, just like the older one had it which I eventually had eradicated by using the Sharpie trick and copious amount of opening and closing, repeat x 100s! I have gone ahead and applied Sharpie to this one's tang too and will repeat the previous routine!

That annoying lanyard hole barrel rattle is there too, FWIW.

U8CpG6q.jpg

pKotFeP.jpg

CJ4Iagh.jpg

dvtnEdW.jpg

MsbIjfw.jpg

I just received mine so I did the preliminary comparison to compare to my older and non-CQI Spydiechef:

The lock up seems to be even later than the first Gen 'chef which I used to own! Just by eyeballing it, looks like 75% lock up; I don't have my older one anymore, but just going by my fuzzy memory, it wasn't as late as this newer version.

The dreaded lock-stick is again present, just like the older one had it which I eventually had eradicated by using the Sharpie trick and copious amount of opening and closing, repeat x 100s! I have gone ahead and applied Sharpie to this one's tang too and will repeat the previous routine!

That annoying lanyard hole barrel rattle is there too, FWIW.

U8CpG6q.jpg

pKotFeP.jpg

CJ4Iagh.jpg

dvtnEdW.jpg

MsbIjfw.jpg
Thanks so much for the first impressions of the new one, and the comparison, Mat. Great info! I was hoping they’d have resolved those issues in this latest run, but am still happy to see them coming back on to the shelves. Hope yours serves you well brother

Thanks so much for the first impressions of the new one, and the comparison, Mat. Great info! I was hoping they’d have resolved those issues in this latest run, but am still happy to see them coming back on to the shelves. Hope yours serves you well brother

Thank you Seth :)

To its credit, it came very very sharp outta box like almost all my past FFG Spydies. This is not a $300+ folder like some paid for when supplies had dried up, just like the S. Bowie was not a $450-500 folder! I have dabbled in enough $1000ish folders to know that on those a wrong sneeze here and there will cost the owner the price of a whole Spydiechef if that owner decides to sell on.

This new Spudiechef has some quirks, just like its previous iterations did. I wasn’t expecting it to be as “perfect” as my past Shiros but that perfection is in the mind of its beholder ;)

I’d imagine unless one receives a real lemon, the Spydiecheft is still a very neat little folder :thumbsup:

You deprived Mat of $7.75 worth of thanks. But if you're anything like me, all you've really done is delayed deployment of your knife $ elsewhere. ;)

LOL! I didn't miss the minor price discrepancy but I just had assumed that maybe our friend sharp_edge had $7.75 worth of credit or some reward points with his fave vendor :p

FWIW and ETA to my short "review" post:

The Sharpie trick on the tang + copious opening / closing is diminishing the lock-stick / click when disengaging.

I went back and looked at my bank of photos from when I sold my 1st-Gen Spydiechef on here and I should stand corrected: the lock % on that one seems to be around the same 75%-ish!

The detent is quite good, but I had not checked so rigorously on my first one! This one deploys with the fastball throwing motion but it is solid if mimicking salt-shaker motion!

Last edited:
LOL! I didn't miss the minor price discrepancy but I just had assumed that maybe our friend sharp_edge had $7.75 worth of credit or some reward points with his fave vendor :p

FWIW and ETA to my short "review" post:

The Sharpie trick on the tang + copious opening / closing is diminishing the lock-stick / click when disengaging.

I went back and looked at my bank of photos from when I sold my 1st-Gen Spydiechef on here and I should stand corrected: the lock % on that one seems to be around the same 75%-ish!

The detent is quite good, but I had not checked so rigorously on my first one! This one deploys with the fastball throwing motion but it is solid if mimicking salt-shaker motion!

:p I do have more credit than that at DLT.

The sharpie trick for me has only been a temporary solution. The sticky issue most often will come back. Opening and closing the knife non-stop for thousands of times will help though I often lose my patience before reaching a few hundred times. :D My first PM2 (still have it) had and still has a sticky lock after numerous times of applying sharpie. I'm fine with it though, as the issue is not very severe (compared to the K2, which I returned to the dealer).

Mine came in this afternoon. Lockup looks just like posted above - right around 75%. Somewhat of a sticky lock, but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m more concerned about lock wear from here. If it doesn’t move much it’ll be fine.

The lanyard tube...if you hadn’t pointed that out I probably wouldn’t have noticed! But sure enough, if you shake it there’s a little rattle. Fortunately, I don’t dance with my knife in hand. ;) But that one is a little surprising. Sounds worse to read about than it is.

Initial impression though...I like it. I can see why they’re popular. Feels like a quality piece. Smooth. Great ergos.

Mine came in this afternoon. Lockup looks just like posted above - right around 75%. Somewhat of a sticky lock, but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m more concerned about lock wear from here. If it doesn’t move much it’ll be fine.

The lanyard tube...if you hadn’t pointed that out I probably wouldn’t have noticed! But sure enough, if you shake it there’s a little rattle. Fortunately, I don’t dance with my knife in hand. ;) But that one is a little surprising. Sounds worse to read about than it is.

Initial impression though...I like it. I can see why they’re popular. Feels like a quality piece. Smooth. Great ergos.

Mark, I did make the lanyard tube rattle sound worse than it actually is and I ain't a twinkle toe either :D

I didn't mean to scare off our friend Sharp_Edge a few posts back! I'll be holding onto mine as it's quite functional with very good ergos, it's a cutting demon and it's relatively easy to maintain. I went through a purge of my Spydies about a year ago this time, because I jumped into Shiros deep end back then. Now back on regaining some of those Spydies which I had let go plus testing out a few newer models which look promising on paper. I would not pay a hefty secondary market premium for any Spydie, I just would not!

My conclusion is that if you happened to own a Spydiechef at some point in the past which you already let go of, the ones released in this phase with the exception of the black oxide (or whatever the finish) hardware, you will find similar to your old ones. Your choice whether to go for one or not, but I'm happy that I did because if these get discontinued, I would not pay 300+ for them on the secondary market. I also suspect that you will see some pop up here on the Exchange for less than the current $217.75 MAP, till they sell out again on dealers' sites.

Got one of these new ones. This is my 4th attempt to like this knife. So far, I really like it and virtually no stick out of the box. Not even sure I would call it stick so much as lock scratch. Cuz it barely makes a scratch sou d when disengaging but nothing to overcome. When I hold it up to the light and look thru handles the lockup is about 55 percent on tang. My only irritation is the stiffness of the action. Can't loosen pivot as it gets off center if I do. So, guess I will just have to hope the washers wear in and get smoother over time.

But boy, the thing cuts like a laser.

That is basically 3 for 3 with issues (granted they might be small issues in some peoples eyes). I am not scared:D but definitely warned.:eek:

Welp, add me to the list of the underwhelmed. None of the little ‘quirks’ we’ve all mentioned previously have been remedied. Just unboxed my new one, and yep, lanyard tube rattle same as always, lockup around 70%, some lock stick (on the less severe side compared to some previous chefs), and I still don’t get why they’ve been feeling the need to send these out with oil all over em. I’d figure there’d be no need for any lube or protectant (outside of the tiniest dab on the pivot/washers) on such a noncorrosive knife. On the bright side, it came with the sharpest factory edge of any of the chefs I’ve had, and although I haven’t measured it yet, it looks like the edge bevel might possibly be ground just a hair more acutely. Not to bash the ‘co, but I feel like they had a chance to make some real improvements on a cool, unique, and utilitarian design, and blew it. I mean, it seems like all they did was coat the fasteners (still don’t know with what. Black oxide maybe?). Geez, thanks. They could’ve at least made them Ti also, instead of coating them, or even out of LC200N themselves. The tuning of the lock spring should’ve been relatively straightforward to bring it back closer to at least a 50% lockup, and the lanyard tube rattle has a couple possible fixes (or aftermarket scales that eliminate the tube can also be purchased). It’ll stick around for a little while at least though, because sometimes, there’s just no substitute for the chef.

Reactions: mb>
Back