any one want some H-13 round

Sorry I will not at this time be selling H-13 instead I have C-1050

I have a bunch of H-13 steel in rounds from 3/8 to 2 1/2. H-13 is a steel used for hot work tools such as forging dies. I plan on taking most of what I have to the scrap yard but if any one wants some for say a drawing die for their press I will post over in the for sale section. The length varies on these pieces from 6" to around 2'. I dont believe this would be a good knife steel. They are actually pins for injection molding. Most of what I have is new and in original packaging. For specs on H-13 go to the Latrobe website. http://www.latrobesteel.com/assets/documents/Sheets/Hot_Work/LSS_H13.pdf

If any one wants some they can have it at scrap price plus shipping. $0.20 per pound

I just thought I would throw this out there.

Last edited:
I'll take a bunch!!!! Please let me know what specific sizes you have Will, H13 is great stuff!

Ok I will go through and measure what I have here. What all have you been using it for Sam?

The H is for hot work, it's not the best out of the hot working steels but it works pretty dang good. Makes nice hot punches, chisels, drifts, various tooling for different textures (alot of stuff under the treadle hammer for different artistic effects), makes GREAT hammers, hot cutters both handled and for the hardy hole, if you have some smaller size round bar it is good for scrolling tongs, all kinds of good things :) . Easy to heat treat on a "blacksmith" (non scientific) level as well. A great steel for tools that normally get pretty hot during use.

I could use about a foot or two. in about 3/4'" stock if you have some ?

It makes the best pitchrel punches there is if you want to really pick up some time making horseshoes.

I could use about a foot or two. in about 3/4'" stock if you have some ?

It makes the best pitchrel punches there is if you want to really pick up some time making horseshoes.

Sir William the Steel Shaper,

I didn't see this posted in the for sale forum yet. I feel a bit awkward posting my buying intentions in this one, but if it'll help encourage you to list it for sale...I'd like a couple (of up to 70 pound) USPS flat rate priority mail boxes full of assorted diameters. We could definately put this stuff to use in our high school metal smithing classes.

Thanks, Phil (the metal mangler)

Last edited:
I will take some also. Let me know how much will fit it the flat rate shipping box. Thanks.

Wow! To be honest I did not expect this kind of response. It looks like you guys are going to make me work. I have not posted in the for sale section yet but when I have it all mesured out I will. There is still more that I have not picked up yet. Hopefully I will get the rest in the next few days.

I do hope that everyone here knows that this is not a for sale thread but I wanted to see if there was some interest. I didnt want to take it to the scrap yard if I could find some homes for it. Of course I plan on keeping some of it myself but I have more than I will need.

I will post a note here when I get the for sale thread done.
thanks

Well Guys I was wrong. Do to a miscomunication with the ditributor I thought I had H-13 when In fact only a small portion of the steel I have is that grade. I did a double check with the maker and that was when I found out what I really had. Most of the steel is in fact C-1050. I will not at this time be selling any H-13 but that may change. I did start a thread in the for sale section for the 1050 if any one wants some.

Again I am sorry for this mix up I am just glad I had not sent any out yet.