Any one ware a vest daily ?

I seldom ware anything but shorts, even in winter. I was thinking a photographers vest might be perfect for everyday. Always have 2 or 3 knives with me and a snubbie 38.Along with small survival kit , cell phone, keys, you all know what I mean. I have been carrying a small Possibles bag with me for some time now, but a vest might be the Ticket . I dont want it for warmth, Just to carry all my junk with me. Thanks... Dale

gunknifenut

KILJOY KutLery, hand made in Luling Texas
I dont wear a vest, but I think that the safari style vests with lots of pockets seams like a great deal. I dont see myself wearing one, but what the heck, whatever floats your boat, right? I usually just keep my BOB and PSK in my car, which is always pretty close to me. Gene

for a little while i wore a BDU jacket with the breast and handwarmer pockets...i filled it up pretty well and it distributed the weight well. it carried some extra goodies that don't fit into my pants pockets that weren't absolutely necessary but were good to have on me, and came in handy once or twice.

i have also carried a possibles sort of bag, usually a small backpack or more commonly a satchel/shoulder bag...aka man purse. i tend to want to fill it up though, and i have a tough time organizing with the bags that i have had. i also like to switch up bags frequently (sometimes i feel worse than a woman with her purses) so i don't like to put too much stuff in the few accessory pockets i have. i have more or less settled on a small pouch with all the stuff in it that i can switch between different bags, but i still have trouble keeping that small and light.

anyways, back on topic...
i have considered after wearing the BDU jacket for a while that maybe something like a basic photographer's or even a fishing vest could be pretty cool for carrying some basic backup gear.

i once read a cool article that a guy wrote about a vest he wore every single day that looked pretty snazzy, he fit alot of neat little goodies in there too. i will have to see if i can hunt that up, it would be cool to read again.

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I wear a photographers vest often. It has pockets for everything and hides bulk well. It tends to distribute weight very well.
I like them a lot.

If I could find one that I didn't think looked so ghey I probably would...I get tired of having to stop and dismount the pack to find stuff...

....i once read a cool article that a guy wrote about a vest he wore every single day that looked pretty snazzy, he fit alot of neat little goodies in there too. i will have to see if i can hunt that up, it would be cool to read again.

That sounds like Schwert on OMF.
http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=171

I have a wool vest from Duluth Trading with just about the right number/size of pockets. It cost more than it was worth, in my opinion, but is reasonably decent. It lacks the best pocket of all though - the map pocket in the back for stowing a poncho or rain jacket,... or a map, I guess.;)

Everything else I have seen looks too "Safari," too tactical or was designed by someone who has no idea what the pockets are for. I am open to any suggestions myself, especially for warm weather.

During the fall and winter I occassionally wear a travelers vest, instead of possibles bag. It's too warm for warm weather wear, but being cotton, it isn't the best choice for wet weather wear either. Carries a good compliment of gear, keeps it all separated nicely and spreads out the weight (not much) of the gear.

Thought about one of the Filson/similar vests. They got a coolness factor, but couldn't justify the cost.

jeff, that's the one i was thinking of. i thought it was on OMF but i couldn't find it when i was searching for it. thanks.

I have a 5.11 vest that I wear daily. The only problem is they are so common among LE folks that you will get "made" as a cop, whether you are or not. The pockets are optimized for LE gear; flashlights, mags, etc and not quite as good for GP. But overall, it works for me.

Check out the vests from Andy Tuller. Originally designed for ski patrollers and SAR people, his service and warranties are Busse-like.
http://www.outaware.com/products2.html

His gear is a lot more bomber than those flimsy fishing vests and will carry the kind of weight you're talking about without sagging or blowing out.

I've got an old Banana Republic photographer's vest that I wear a lot. It's great for concealed carry, too, but be warned: Most cops will immediately suspect that you have a gun under there. Assuming that you have a permit, that shouldn't be a problem, but you should be aware of this. I love that I can junk it up with all kinds of things, and the weight is very evenly distributed so you're hardly aware that you're carrying around a couple pounds of junk.

Between my Redman (long given up) and whatever paperback western I was reading at the time, I was notorious for wearing a vest in High School. (gotta love all those pockets!!) :D

Somewhere there is a joke picture of me wearing it over my cap and gown from graduation that made it in our yearbook.

Always wanted on of those BR photog' vests, but everytime I've been in a BR store, they are out. :(

I used to wear a vest like that all the time, but now I just wear it occasionally. For the past few years I have been using a motorcycle courier bag as a briefcase for work, so all my extra crap just goes in there since it's with me almost constantly. Those traveles'/photographers' vests are great for carrying a bunch of stuff without the need for a bag, and some of them are reasonably fashionable. I have one from Eddie Bauer that has a lot of versatile pockets, but doesn't look too safari or tactical.

I've tried vests, and at times I like them. But in general i've always defaulted to a knapsack or possibles bag. I don't generally carry a firearm, but do usually have a sheath knife and at least one pocket knife on me directly.

Of course, these days I wear a utilikilt most of the time with a black leather sporran. That's a lot of gear space, let me tell you.

I've tried vests, and at times I like them. But in general i've always defaulted to a knapsack or possibles bag. I don't generally carry a firearm, but do usually have a sheath knife and at least one pocket knife on me directly.

Of course, these days I wear a utilikilt most of the time with a black leather sporran. That's a lot of gear space, let me tell you.

lots of gear space due to a small...............? :D:p:D:p

joking joking, Kilts are the best!

My automatic read on a person wearing one of these style vests is CCW. May or may not always be but it is how it comes off.

They have become "trendy" amongst some of the CCW holders that I know and I don't know any LEOs that wear them.

I honestly think a backpack - depending on environment - is a little more low-profile. Especially if you have colleges in your area. Sport-style equipment, like the sport Camelbaks, don't seem to pull of as big of a read.

Two, almost automatic reads for me for "armed" is fanny pack/Maxpedition-style bag and photographer vest.

I try to keep things as low profile as I can, personally, and not get caught in those type of reads. I try to minimize my on person carry items unless something seems obvious that it may be necessary and keep gear in a vehicle.

Only essentials on person.

My automatic read on a person wearing one of these style vests is CCW. May or may not always be but it is how it comes off.

They have become "trendy" amongst some of the CCW holders that I know and I don't know any LEOs that wear them.

I honestly think a backpack - depending on environment - is a little more low-profile. Especially if you have colleges in your area. Sport-style equipment, like the sport Camelbaks, don't seem to pull of as big of a read.

Two, almost automatic reads for me for "armed" is fanny pack/Maxpedition-style bag and photographer vest.

I try to keep things as low profile as I can, personally, and not get caught in those type of reads. I try to minimize my on person carry items unless something seems obvious that it may be necessary and keep gear in a vehicle.

Only essentials on person.

Those of us who do/have CC'd are usually the only ones who notice this. My former gf wouldn't have ever thought of it if I hadn't mentioned it a few times at the mall and other such places.

Those of us who do/have CC'd are usually the only ones who notice this. My former gf wouldn't have ever thought of it if I hadn't mentioned it a few times at the mall and other such places.

I tend to be a sheepdog. :D