Any opinions on the Spyderco Murray Carter kitchen knives?

The balance point on mine is about an inch into the handle (at my second finger if using a hammer grip). I like the slightly rearward balance as it makes the blade seem pretty lively and good for all-around use.

I have all of them. I was able to get them at ~50% off. I won't keep all of them, and will gift most of them to family who can appreciate what they are.

I have a mix of the super blue and BD1N. I prefer the super blue steel, but the BD1N is perfectly serviceable. It's a little confusing because you can get the BD1N knives with G10 or polypropylene handles. The super blue knives are only available with G10 handles, but they are "burl" G10, meaning they have a burl-like pattern to them. They do look better.

The biggest difference is that the balance is different between the G10 and poly handle knives because the G10 is heavier. The G10 knives I have balance back in the handle about an inch. The poly handled knives balance ahead of the handle, near where you would pinch grip a blade. I don't have all the knives in both handle material, so I can't this applies to all of them but I would suspect it does.

I prefer the balance on the poly handled knives. The blades are all very nicely designed. Good shapes, thin at the spine, and thin behind the edge.

Nakiri: Very nice knife. I'm sure you can find better ones for less money, but it's an excellent knife. It's becoming my go to for veggies.

Funayuki: Not sure what this is supposed to be. It's very close in size and performance to my Carter petty and is an excellent knife. The Carter petty is thinner and about 1/2" shorter. One of the two of them is misnamed.

Petty: this is more like a paring knife. It's well done. It doesn't get much use in my house for some reason. If I need a small knife I will sometimes go smaller, but I'm usually reaching for the Funayuki or the Carter petty. (The Carter petty my be the most used knife by my wife. It's a great small knife.)

Bunka: I don't own another Bunka so not sure what to expect. This one has a lot of belly, is as thin as the other knives, and has a k tip. It's essentially a smaller chef's knife with a K-tip. It's not getting used in our house. I have an 8" k-tip chef's knife that I prefer. This seems like an excellent knife, I'm just not sure where it fits or when I would use it vs. a chef's knife.

Gyuto: This is a nice knife but does not been used at our house. I generally don't use 10" knives. My daily gyuto is ~9", and my wife prefers her custom 8" k-tip gyuto.

These could be quite good knives to buy if you can get them discounted. I see that Spyderco has some discounted bundles for these knives on their website right now.

Back