Any response to this? S35VN Related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new s35 sebenza 21 is perfect, and I have no issues with the steel yet. You see, I strop every knife I use every day at night before bed, and it is all it takes to keep the edge keen and sharp. I cannot think of a time that any of my knives, 440c included, failed before I was done with the task at hand. I freehand sharpen all my knives, and let me tell you, a rolled edge is easy to take care of without a lot of removed steel. A chipped edge, however, is a freaking nightmare when freehanding. The s35 is absolutely great, and I am glad they moved to this steel. I can tell no difference between my new sebenza and my old regular in s30v. Buy a new sebenza with confidence people!!!!!!!

BTW thanks guys ESPECIALLY (CTS/ANK) for keeping this thread going- and everyone "Playing nice" I have kept up-to-date so far and stayed reserved from posting; wanted to hear from you guys and other correlating test to show how the steel vs. steel is resulting.

Also, new respect for Spyderco as well... Thanks Sal, as I see a PM2 in my future just to show my support towards yours!!!

Can't thank you enough for your time, effort and money spent on putting these test together, and keeping it informative and legitimate.

I have learned so much in the last 2 weeks on this! = ) I look forward to more- Catra etc...

Btw Ank I know you would never hate against a company or steel. You give credit where it is do in every video I have viewed of yours.

That's true, I am into performance and if the knife performs then it will show well in my reviews or videos.

I do have a knife coming in S35VN that I will be doing a full review on so we will see...... No it's not a Sebenza...

I am not overly impressed with my sebenza in s30v for $350. I am far more impressed with my cold steel recon1 $50. I don't have any knives in s35vn...yet. I am still going to get the Spyderco native, I have one in vg10, s30v- each I paid $35 for second hand and I love them. I still hold Vg10 above all the others till I personally experience otherwise.

I look forward to seeing your test Jim :)

I am interested in Sebenza vs Sebnza because that's the knife I can't get enouh of. I have a few Spuderco knives in H1 but as great a company as they are they are just not my thing. So I worry more about the performance of CRK's steel and treatment :)

I look forward to seeing your test Jim :)

I am interested in Sebenza vs Sebnza because that's the knife I can't get enouh of. I have a few Spuderco knives in H1 but as great a company as they are they are just not my thing. So I worry more about the performance of CRK's steel and treatment :)

I guess I will see what happens once I test it, won't know until then for sure, but it will be interesting.

I am not overly impressed with my sebenza in s30v for $350. I am far more impressed with my cold steel recon1 $50. I don't have any knives in s35vn...yet. I am still going to get the Spyderco native, I have one in vg10, s30v- each I paid $35 for second hand and I love them. I still hold Vg10 above all the others till I personally experience otherwise.

A lot of that is likely due to the HYPE that surrounds that model, making it out to be a lot more than it really is, HYPE can be and is a dangerous thing.

I guess I will see what happens once I test it, won't know until then for sure, but it will be interesting.

You're going to be testing 2 Sebenzas Jim? One in each offering? Will a video be going to go to your channel of the test? Soon?

Edit off topic matl.

Last edited:
If Anne said Chris made the 300 cuts and the knife still cut paper, then I feel it did. End of storey. I'm no fanboy of any brand, but I do know Chris and Anne from talking to them for many years at Blade. Believe me, Anne would not have made up a lie.
They don't have to lie to sell knives.

If Anne said Chris made the 300 cuts and the knife still cut paper, then I feel it did. End of storey. I'm no fanboy of any brand, but I do know Chris and Anne from talking to them for many years at Blade. Believe me, Anne would not have made up a lie.

Yeah I'd believe that it still cut paper also, but that's not what was said.

It was said that after 300 cuts into extension cord the the knife still shaved hair. I'm not sure any steel in a production knife can do that. **If you are shaving with the part of the edge that was doing the push cutting**

Only a small portion of the blade gets used when doing those kind of push cuts. I could do 1000 cuts into metal and then shave with the knife, if I shaved with a clean part of the edge.

It doesn't have anything to do with them lying, they just may be mistaken. It happens.

And I've talked to Anne and Chris in real life also.... Doesn't mean that they all of the sudden can't tell a lie, or be mistaken on something.

She didn't say it was made with a push cut did she? I'm not going back to look, but don't remember her saying that.

I believe 100% of what Anne has said, and don't think it was a mistake.

I've been around the knife world long enough to know what kind of person Anne and Chris are.
They should be shown the respect they have worked so hard to earn IMO.

She didn't say it was made with a push cut did she? I'm not going back to look, but don't remember her saying that.

I've been around the knife world long enough to know what kind of person Anne and Chris are.

Push cuts are pretty much the only way to cut that stuff, ever tried it? Try and slice through metal. Haha

You're going to be testing 2 Sebenzas Jim? One in each offering? Will a video be going to go to your channel of the test? Soon?

I think John already tested the CS Voyager (same as the Recon-1 I assume) and had no problem at all with it. What are your thoughts about that. I can only conclude that for his test, that it proved to be superior to S35VN at the low heat treatment. I'd like to hear what you think.

Nobody has enough balls to send me a Sebeanza in S35VN, heaven forbid that my testing might confirm what John found or that there could be an issue.... If there happens to be one...... so I don't expect to see any S35VN Sebenzas showing up at my door, at least not in this lifetime anyway. ;)

Don't really know what to say about that AUS-8 blade, but from my own testing AUS-8 run hard (CS really knows how to HT AUS-8 to get the max out of it) and done correctly is really good stuff, if CRK is running their steel soft then it's possible AUS-8 could in fact outperform it.

There just aren't any freebies with steel.

They would have had to be push cuts or that blade would have been dull as a butter knife long before he even really got going.

Last edited:
My point has nothing to do with the steel. Its about a very few in this thread that doesn't seem to be showing much respect to Anne or Chris.

My point has nothing to do with the steel. Its about a very few in this thread that doesn't seem to be showing much respect to Anne or Chris.

What they have done in the past ect has been great and they have gotten plenty of respect for those things in this thread.

What this is about is right here and right now and how it has been handled, or should I say not handled for lack of a better postable word or phrase.

Unfreaking real. I'm out.

OP, maybe Chris will call you again,lol. I hope your not still mad about that.

I think we all want the same thing. Quality steel with the best possible heat treat process. I don't think its worth offending anyone over, intentional or not.

No. Anne said the blade was "shaving sharp"

Thought you would like to know - Chris has just used his large Sebenza 21 to make 300 cuts on a 3 core orange extension cord. The knife is shaving sharp and sliced through paper three or four times.

Anne

edit: off topic info posted

Last edited:
Unfreaking real. I'm out.

OP, maybe Chris will call you again,lol. I hope your not still mad about that.

Are you referring to me? Because I'm not the OP.

And why would I be mad about a phone call?

It's so funny to me how if you do, or have ever had a problem with a CRK knife it's because you have a problem with Chris personally. Come on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back