1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Any tarp campers?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by readyme, Oct 27, 2012.

1. readyme

readyme

Oct 4, 2004
    I am looking at getting a sil nylon tarp for lightweight backpacking.
    It seems to me that the 8x10 is the standard size.
    Can you provide any tips or info that I should know...specifically regarding different ways of setup.
    I am having the tarp custom made, so is there anything I should specifically ask for?

2. scruffuk

scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
  3. GODSPEED TACTICAL

GODSPEED TACTICAL Banned BANNED

Feb 24, 2011
    You went with a good size, I bought one that was 5x7 and I wish I would've went with 8x10.... it works great but the extra room would come in handy.

Eli

4. Halberdier

Halberdier

Apr 3, 2010
    8X10 is a nice size. Large enough for two people even when it rains. Mine is roughly that size. I wouldn't want it any smaller and I don't want to carry a larger one.

[​IMG]

5. NothingCoherent

NothingCoherent

Feb 2, 2010
    I love tarp camping, and in my mind a tarp is the ONLY shelter choice. I've been using one year round for the last 2-3 years and have zero desire to ever sleep in a tent again. I've slept on thick blocks of ice on the side of a glacier surrounded by snow up to my shoulders with just my tarp keeping the wind and snow off me (pegging it down is tricky in this situation.. lol). They work.

I greatly prefer a square tarp. 9'x9' I think would be my sweet spot. Right now I use an 8'x10' because it is the most commonly available size, but a 10'x10' would be pretty easy to find as well. Anything in that region will very comfortably sleep two people, and can easily be configured for more. I always hunt, fish, and do general backpack-y things with my girlfriend, so carrying a simple tarp is the easiest way of sleeping two people. I typically like to bring one of those reusable emergency blanket / space tarp things as a ground sheet and fire reflector.

Here's my two person overnight set up. Everything seen fits inside my little Kelty MAP pack, minus my girlfriends sleeping roll and pillow -- I make her carry those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unrelated topic, but take THAT, popular youtube gear reviewer who says the Kelty MAP is "only" a day pack! I've done three days out of it, and have done countless overnighters... carrying shelter for two. If I carried a light weight sleeping bag for one person (wool blankets are extremely bulky), and a smaller silnylon solo tarp, it would be even easier. But I digress.

[​IMG]

Bottom line: Tarps are amazing if you don't mind being a little bit more "exposed" than a tent. I actually prefer it. No condensation problems, and I can see everything around me.

6. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Take some nylon mosquito screen to tuck around your face when you sack out. Tarps are great, but not in bug country.

7. SkrufKnifer

SkrufKnifer

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm sort of a tarp camper, more like a trash bag camper. So many ways to use a tarp. I'd say you got a good size!

8. rocketbomb

rocketbomb

Apr 25, 2007
    Tarps are OK in certain situations. When camping in timber and the bugs are manageable, they are very nice. I dislike camping with them in open country. Usually just use the tarp in winter now. Have an 8x10 but it seems to me a 10x10 would be a bit nicer. Makes a few more setups a bit easier and the extra room would be appreciated.

9. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    I have been using a 10X10 BCUSA tarp for several years now. It performs well. I use a smaller 5X7 BCUSA MEST tarp as a ground cloth, and for just putting up a quck shelter against wind and rain.
    [​IMG]

10. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I use it as a shelter for painting
    But it could easily be used for camping
    9x9

[​IMG]

11. readyme

readyme

Oct 4, 2004
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    What is everyone's favorite setup style?
    I saw an A frame style and a "flying V" style....what else do you guys use?

12. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    "flying V" style
    All it needs is one stick or walking stick
    And works well without trees ...