Any teachers in this forum?

Are there any? Specifically elementary school teachers... I'm on my 2nd year of teaching and I'm looking for some insight particularly from male teachers. Though we try to have a good mix of students with different abilities in class it is very common to find low ability students lumped into a class and for the last 2 years they were the ones I have been teaching. If you have taught such a class you'd know that a lot of these children have family and more often than not financial issues at home. We have a larger class size than what is common in the US or Europe. A typical class has an average of 40 students; though it is not unheard of to have 2 or even 3 more depending on the cohort. It can be challenging at times. Classroom management can be a headache but I enjoyed myself tremendously. It is a lot of hard work... My teaching methods and my expectations had to be tweaked to suit the children.

That's all about to change next year... My principal has just emailed me that I'd be teaching a high ability class in 2010. Class numbers will remain the same but they are the cream of the crop. High literacy ability and good number skills. Very vocal... They are 9 year olds so I expect them to be highly inquisitive. I expect classroom discussion to be very lively. :thumbup: I should probably have to do a complete overhaul on my teaching methods. What strategies have worked for you in the past with such a class? What should I be expecting?

Azad...

out of curiosity what are you teaching them? everything? English? something else?

if you have bright kids make sure to challenge them or they are gonna be bored. I taught math to all levels (including some 3-4 graders which should be around your kids age level)for 2 years at an international school (mostly korean kids) before moving on to teaching a-levels this year but they definitely weren't cream of the crop and it was only 25 kids instead of 40. So if they are really high level kids i would just listen to what they say and watch their actions if to see if you are challenging them enough (or maybe not enough). there is nothing worse for a smart kid than to bored. at least with the creme of the crop in asia you shouldn't have many discipline problems.

out of curiosity what are you teaching them? everything? English? something else?

if you have bright kids make sure to challenge them or they are gonna be bored. I taught math to all levels (including some 3-4 graders which should be around your kids age level)for 2 years at an international school (mostly korean kids) before moving on to teaching a-levels this year but they definitely weren't cream of the crop and it was only 25 kids instead of 40. So if they are really high level kids i would just listen to what they say and watch their actions if to see if you are challenging them enough (or maybe not enough). there is nothing worse for a smart kid than to bored. at least with the creme of the crop in asia you shouldn't have many discipline problems.

I teach English, Math and Science. Yup, I agree... Smart kids do get bored easily and I'd have to do something about that. Just need to pitch the lesson right. I do not expect any class management problems with this crop of students but you never know till the first day of school. I have a month before school reopens so that leaves me plenty of time to plan my lessons and strategies. One thing I have going for me is that this will be their first time doing Science so I expect them to be very enthusiastic about it. Just need to make sure all that energy is channeled properly.

I'm going to start keeping a proper teaching journal to see what works with them. Man, I'd love to teach a class of 25 kids... 40 kids can get a bit too much to handle at times. Hopefully this gets easier as time goes by. How has Asia been treating you?

Azad...

My wife teaches first grade at a very good private Episcopal school that admits students through testing. From what I have observed over the last 30 years, one of the biggest problems you will have with high-ability students is parental expectations.

Everything from demands for more homework (I have often heard her tell parents, "after all, these are little kids") to expectations that their child will be first in everything and when they aren't it is somehow the teacher's fault. Also, high ability does not necessarily mean an adequate level of maturity for grade level, and there will still be behavioral issues.

Don't get me wrong, she would never trade the high level of parental interest for parental indifference. But it does have it's own issues.

A quick question on the topic, i'm moving stateside in the next year permanently...do you need teaching accreditation for shop classes here? I am a trade qualified machinist and have heard some say you dont need a teaching degree, just a trade and others say the opposite. I just like teaching others my abilities.

cheers.

How has Asia been treating you?
not to go too far off topic but, Very well. I started off teaching English at a school where i met my wife :D since switching to teaching math i've be able to find some very nice opportunities that may turn into a good career. If you want to swap stories just send me an e-mail through my profile.

From what I have observed over the last 30 years, one of the biggest problems you will have with high-ability students is parental expectations.

I've faced the same issues too. It's just getting too competitive and the worst thing is it's starting to be more about the parents than the kids. At that age I feel kids should be allowed to enjoy school, socialize and pick up foundation skills. It didn't use to be this way. At primary 3 our students are streamed; the cleverer ones or the so called gifted ones are plucked out of the class/ school and placed into a different program. Most go on to win highly coveted scholarships and a guaranteed job in government and private sectors. It's saddens me sometimes to see so much pressure placed on young children but such is the system and I do not foresee it getting better. All parents want the best for their kids but at what cost... We'll be using STELLA this year, something that will hopefully bump up their interest in reading. Kids just don't read enough these days and our English grades have been declining steadily over the years.

I'm thinking of setting up an online portal so that the students can download their work or additional assignments to complete at home. May place my resources there too. It'll also open up another avenue for parents to monitor their child's progress and any homework I have issued to their kids. It's additional work for me but hopefully it'll cut down on calls from parents. Some days I just don't feel like "chatting" with parents. E-mails are so much easier to handle. With technology the way it is I'm finding it almost impossible to escape from work. I've found myself logging into the system (while I was overseas) just to check up on work during the holidays. Lots of us burn out this way...

It's impossible to please everyone. I've seen parents complain about the most trivial matter. I've also seen parents write in directly to the Ministry of Education; effectively killing a teachers career. I'm in this for the long haul...

Last edited:
not to go too far off topic but, Very well. I started off teaching English at a school where i met my wife :D since switching to teaching math i've be able to find some very nice opportunities that may turn into a good career. If you want to swap stories just send me an e-mail through my profile.

Glad to know you're doing well... Expect an e-mail soon. Math has always been difficult for me.

I taught 9ith graders, around 15 years old.My advise is this:
Keep them busy, idle hands are the devil's plaything.
Do not give them answers, give them problems.
Don't worry about teaching the subject, use the subject to teach them critical thinking skills. Teach them how to look at a problem, weigh possibilities, and find their own solutions. If you spoon feed them information, you will have a rebellion by bored kids on your hands.
Have fun. If you do, they will too.

Last edited:
A quick question on the topic, i'm moving stateside in the next year permanently...do you need teaching accreditation for shop classes here? I am a trade qualified machinist and have heard some say you dont need a teaching degree, just a trade and others say the opposite. I just like teaching others my abilities.

cheers.
It just depends on local state laws. States set the standards for teacher hires.

If certification is required in the state you are moving into, check with a college within that state. It sounds like you might (or might not) have to take basic teaching courses. If you go to a college outside your targeted state, the requirements might be different.

Despite all the fuss and feathers you will see here from time to time, states and local elected or appointed school boards have the ultimate say on this matter.

Back