Any tips on IWB carry please?

minimize

Gold Member
Hi. I carry a small fixed blade in a kydex sheath at the 1 o'clock position. Has a g clip on it but the clip feels bulky and limits angle options. I was thinking of going without a clip and just letting the sheath ride inside waist band via the pressure of my belt but not sure how good of an idea that is. Also thought of running paracord from belt loop thru the eyelets on sheath as a fail safe. Any opinions on what I may do or on better ideas you gentlemen use would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely secure it somehow. As mentioned above, there are soft loops with a snap that can be attached to a kydex sheath for iwb carry.

Thank you both! Will definitely secure it!

They make rubber belt loops called pull the dot or something like that. Use them on my 1911 and a couple knives. At the very least lash the sheath to your belt with paracord
Thanks! "Pull the dot" googled and found! Looks like the perfect solution. I am going to buy it, and another that someone else on the forum recommended for me. Hopefully one of them solves the problem. Thanks again!

I'd consider a static cord looped though your belt or belt loop. Most low-profile option available.
Like a paracord ? I was thinking the same. The ideas given here and by another memeber in convo are treat so I ordered all the options and will try them both!

Hi. I carry a small fixed blade in a kydex sheath at the 1 o'clock position. Has a g clip on it but the clip feels bulky and limits angle options. I was thinking of going without a clip and just letting the sheath ride inside waist band via the pressure of my belt but not sure how good of an idea that is. Also thought of running paracord from belt loop thru the eyelets on sheath as a fail safe. Any opinions on what I may do or on better ideas you gentlemen use would be greatly appreciated.

The rubber belt loop with pull the dot is a good idea.

However I feel the best and most comfortable way to carry iwb is to use a static cords. Then you just stick the sheath wherever you want iwb.

knife-static-line.jpg

You can just take the blade in and out of the sheath. Or if you need to draw the knife quickly you just pull the handle and the sheath comes out of your waistmand with it. The cord pulls the sheath off the blade when the cord runs out. The cord makes the sheath just dangle until you return the knife to the sheath.

Also if you are walking into a situation where a knife going to scare the kids you can drop the knife and sheath down your waist band. Then you just fish it out after.

Last edited:
The rubber belt loop with pull the dot is a good idea.

However I feel the best and most comfortable way to carry iwb is to use a static cords. Then you just stick the sheath wherever you want iwb.

knife-static-line.jpg

You can just take the blade in and out of the sheath. Or if you need to draw the knife quickly you just pull the handle and the sheath comes out of your waistmand with it. The cord pulls the sheath off the blade when the cord runs out. The cord makes the sheath just dangle until you return the knife to the sheath.

Also if you are walking into a situation where a knife going to scare the kids you can drop the knife and sheath down your waist band. Then you just fish it out after.

That is AWESOME!!! Thanks for that info and the photos! Any recommendations on the cord type and where to get? I have zero knowledge about paracord. I really really like your idea!

That is AWESOME!!! Thanks for that info and the photos! Any recommendations on the cord type and where to get? I have zero knowledge about paracord. I really really like your idea!

It’s not really my idea, it is a well known carry method. Personally the cord I use depends on what use I have planned exactly for the particular knife.

If it is going to be a knife that I will sometimes wear around my neck I always use a ball chain. That way i can break the chain easily if it is used to choke me.

If it is going to be just on my waist, I use flat black shoelaces. I find flat shoelaces are less bulky and less prone to having knots made with them untie.

bzM2Px4.jpg

Last edited:
It’s not really my idea, it is a well known carry method. Personally the cord I use depends on what use I have planned exactly for the particular knife.

If it is going to be a knife that I will sometimes wear around my neck I always use a ball chain. That way i can break the chain easily if it is used to choke me.

If it is going to be just on my waist, I use flat black shoelaces. I find flat shoelaces are less bulky and less prone to having knots made with them untie.

bzM2Px4.jpg

Awesome! I can't believe this is the first time I am hearing about this idea! Shoelace! Ha! Awesome!
Any little tips? Just going to tie a knot to my belt, and the other end a knot to my kydex.

Awesome! I can't believe this is the first time I am hearing about this idea! Shoelace! Ha! Awesome!
Any little tips? Just going to tie a knot to my belt, and the other end a knot to my kydex.

No, ill show you how when i get home. There is an easier way to tie it. Give me a few mins.

Ok please follow these steps.

Step one fish a length of cord through a hole on your sheath and tie the ends so it forms a loop of cord. (Length of the circular loop should be about 2x as long as the sheathed knife butt to tip)
qrgWerk.jpg

Step 2, grab the knot that connects the loop and fish it through a belt loop.
t0PNPAc.jpg

Step 3 now fish the sheathed knife through the loop that was created by step 2
8xzu6UY.jpg

Step 4 pull the knife and sheath so it tightens down the loop and tuck your knife iwb. You are good to go. Now you don’t have to tie or untie every time you want to attatch your static cord to a belt loop.
ObA3J0U.jpg

Et voilà!

Back