Any Warren Zevon fans here?

The thread title pretty much says it all, but I was in another thread where Mr.BadExample posted, and his handle made me think of the song by Warren Zevon, it's one of my favorites. I just found out about him several years ago, right before he passed, unfortunately. I have the Genius best of Album and was wondering if anyone out there knows of any other good ones.

Lagarto

I saw Warren in 97 I think, in Portland Maine. Awesome show and Lawyers guns and money is one of my favs. So are werewolves of london and exciteable boy come to think of it.

Zevon rocks!

I don't know any of his more recent stuff. I think the name of the album thats my favorite is "stand in the fire". Look for Lawyers Guns & Money, Excitable Boy, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Werewolves of London. Mohammeds Radio

I had read a review of his last album finished just before he died and the reviewer thought it was very good. Can't remember the name of it.

lagaro...
Yep I recall that thread. I am longtime Zevon fan, starting in early 70's.
My favorite albums are 'WIND' and mid 70's release just called 'WARREN ZEVON'.
'Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School' and 'Exicitable Boy' are great, but then I like all his stuff. There is a big compilation album that I haven't seen called "I"ll Sleep When I'm Dead", that seems to have a great cross section of his songs listed. But I recommend you get every album you can, or at least give each a listen cause I think there are gems on them all.
I also just picked up a tribute album called "Enjoy Every Sandwich" which I enjoyed most of. Who knew Adam Sandler could sing. Also has Waddy Wachtel, Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan, Zevon's son Jordan, the Pixies and more.
Just google Zevon Discography like I did and it might help you narrow it down. There is a fair bit of replication of songs available, three or so 'best of' albums listed.
hope you get addicted..
cheers

We got a 19-cut "best of" CD recently. The late Mr. Zevon did some great stuff, mostly rather dark-flavored. (Probably why I like him...)

Back years ago when we'd go to the local Pizza Hut, we'd always play "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" on the jukebox.

Wow,
Thanks for all the replies so far. Mwerner, I agree he's dark, but I have a rather dark sense of humor myself, which is why I like the songs Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Mr. Bad Example, and Werewolves of London so much. I don't particularly care for Excitable Boy, not the lyrics so much, I just don't like the orchestration.
Lagarto

A couple of my favorites not mentioned are "The Vast Indifference of Heaven" and "Splendid Isolation".

If you don't like the orchestration on some of his songs, check out the Learning to Flinch CD, which has a lot of live tracks.

I use the term "Excitable Boy", to describe those hyperactive people that are around me. I've listened for him along time. Also his last album is really good. The song "Stay with me a while" is great, depressing but good.

I'm another long-time Zevon fan, and I have to second Geraldo's recommendation of Learning to Flinch. It captures his style better than any other single album. It has a great extended jam version of Poor Poor Pitiful Me, followed by a brilliantly bitter version of Play It All Night Long.

The Wind is a fine album, but I have a hard time listening to it,for the same reason it's tough for me to listen to Johnny Cash's American IV, because both artists comforted me through a particularly crappy high school experience, and I never got tired of listening to them.

Nope, you can't go wrong with Zevon.

James

Another long-time Zevon fan here (70's).
Can't say enough about his stuff. Great live show ('87?).
By virtue of all those who have come out to praise/record his music, you can tell what an impact he/his music has had on his peers- that's the sign of true respect.
Go easy Warren.

I'm amazed that name came up. I don't think anyone I know would recognise the name if I mentioned it but I liked his music. Werewolves of London is one of my favourites. I'm glad there are others out there who remember him.

I've only heard two of his albums, "Life'll Kill Ya", and "The Wind".

"The Wind", I could take or leave, but "Life'll kill Ya" is easily one of my top-ten favorite albums. I like every damned song on it, and that's hard to do :D

'Course, I couldn't grow up listening to my dad's preset radio stations and never hear "Werewolves of London", but it never did much for me.

But yeah, Warren Zevon awesome.

lagarto.. his last album is "The Wind".
Thanx to Jalex and Geraldo for the "Learning to Flinch" album recomendation which I've not come across in the stores. I'll order it.
Favorite songs include 'Werewolves', 'Roland', 'Raspberry Beret', 'Desperadoes Under the Eaves', and 'Keep me in Your Heart'..
Speaking of which threre is a DVD of the making of his last album, called "Keep me in Your Heart" that shud interest any Zevon fan.
cheers

You might also want to check out "Hindu Love Gods"
It was a project w/ Berry/Buck/Mills (of REM). Really good, bluesy stuff.
"Mannish Boy" & "Raspberry Beret" stand out.

The Wind is moving when you consider the fact that the entire album is about his impending death. Listen to the songs in that context and you get a special insight into a man who is facing his end with a mixture of sadness, acceptance, and humor. Keep Me in Your Heart for Awhile is the first song that made me cry in a long time. I didn't really start listening to Zevon until his death, and have since become an avid fan. For anyone who hasn't heard him and might be interested I would suggest picking up a copy of Genius. Its a greatest hits kind of thing that gives a broad taste of his carreer and has most of the better known tracks on it.
"Albert Einstein was a ladies man
while working on his universal plan
he was making out like Charlie Sheen
He was a genius"
I think wit is sorely lacking in contemporary music and the likes of Zevon and Zappa are sorely missed. But then I am not known for my musical taste. Especially lately.

On a related topic, anyone else like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds or have I just lost my mind?

Copaup..
couldn't agree with you more about "Keep me in Your Heart". really resonated with me, different cancer but I was diagnosed just when Zevon's plight hit the air. He wouldn't agree with the use of the word plight.. the one time I heard him speak, he laughed when someone asked about regrets, and said in effect ''It has been a hell of a good time..a hell of a ride he wouldn't have missed for anything.."
A good example says I.
cheers