Anybody carry a Pocket Knife Sharpener?

Kind of seems like a good idea, but I have never carried one. Have seen a range of gadgets on eBay, mostly knock-offs of a couple of designs. Any thought?

I have a small maxpedition kit with sharpeners. If you want diamond, DMT has a 3 stone kit for about 20ish bucks. The Fallkniven DC4 and CC4 stones are great too. Very compact and come in their only little sleeves. DC4 has a diamond side and the CC4 = ceramic. Keep a small length of genuine leather belt in the kit too. Can get you pics up against a knife for size comparison if you like.

DMT makes credit card sized diamond sharpeners that will fit in your wallet or kit. If I were going to be camping for an extended amount of time or away from home for a goodly amount of time, I might consider them. I know several members who carry one. I've never had the need, so I don't.

Here's DMT's description from their corporate web site:
https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/pocket-models/dia-sharp/

AEE966EA-87D0-410F-BFC3-503A7A9ADBBC.jpeg I sometimes use the flat side of a ceramic blade to set up the edge on a steel blade.

Only if I’m carrying a Randall with its stone on the sheath. Or an Ontario strap cutter with the ceramic rod on its spine.

I don't carry a sharpener daily ... but anytime I'm going hunting or camping etc ... I pack my DMT Diafolds ... but rarely use them I have a few knives along and it is rare I dull anything enough it won't wait until I get home ...

I do carry a baryonyx arctic fox fieldstone in each truck and in my tacklebox ... so always something not to far away ...

I’m pretty sure I have basic fine and coarse sharpening stones in my truck tool box, but I’ve never felt the need to edc one on my person

Small DMT with fine grit is what I would carry if I wanted to carry one on an extended outing where I expected to need to sharpen my knife.

I keep a Spyderco Double Stuff in my truck, but do not carry a sharpener on my person.

Although most of my sharpening is using a Sharpmaker, I have a couple collapsible and folding diamond rod files (e.g. from Smith's and DMT that could probably fit in a pocket if needed. Generally speaking I strop my folders on my jeans or the back of my leather belt if I do a little work (I don't know if it does anything). I also heard that you can use the bottom of a coffee mug or even the edge of your car's window (I've tried neither). I've seen SAK aftermarket leather sheaths that come with a mini knife steel too.

Edit: replaced windshield with window

Last edited:
Although most of my sharpening is using a Sharpmaker, I have a couple collapsible and folding diamond rod files (e.g. from Smith's and DMT that could probably fit in a pocket if needed. Generally speaking I strop my folders on my jeans or the back of my leather belt if I do a little work (I don't know if it does anything). I also heard that you can use the bottom of a coffee mug or even the edge of your cars windshield (I've tried neither). I've seen SAK aftermarket leather sheaths that come with a mini knife steel too.

I’ve used the ceramic coffee mug trick many times and the knife always seems substantially sharper afterwards

Not often but when I do I just use my medium ceramic spyderco rod which I dropped and broke in half.

Now I have two pocket stones.

I don’t EDC one, per’se, but I do have a couple of the little pen sized Gerber sharpeners. I keep one in my truck and one in my hiking pack. It’s not the greatest sharpener, but for a quick touch-up, it’ll do just fine.

gerber-diamond-knife-sharpener-09841-large.jpg

Back