Anybody else get...

...the email from Ed Wormser about the Premier Knife Auction's Night of 101 Knives? It is an auction that includes a whole bunch of knives I would kill for. If anyone that doesn't get this email notification is interested, send me an email and I will provide you with a link. I'm pretty sure it against the rules for me to post it here.

Ah, never mind, I found it. Darn - no Fogg... :)

Interesting to see which knives have already been bidded and at what level. Steinau is on fire.

As a side note, we've been quite a few collections being sold in the last few months. Several of the nice pieces recently found on Nordic were clearly pretty old.

There are alot of great knives up for auction. I think that 15% buyers premium for internet bids is a little high. Jim Treacy

There are alot of great knives up for auction. I think that 15% buyers premium for internet bids is a little high. Jim Treacy

In fact, shouldn't the premium be lower? After all, it's the bidders who are there in person who generate the costs (need for a live auctioneer, a venue, moving the knives to the venue and insuring them, etc). Unless maybe the 15% covers for the shipping.

The extra 5% is probably for Proxibid. Most of the knives that I saw will sell for four and five figure prices. The 10 % buyer's premium is pretty standard at an auction, but 15% extra could be a significant amount. Jim Treacy

I think Mike T.(missinglink) is crazy for driving up that Loerchner already....it could hit $10,000 or better with that kind of drive up....which makes it overpriced, IMO.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

STeven, I agree. There is no good reason to bid too early and drive the price up. Th St-24 is allready close to $12,000 when you include 15% premium. Jim Treacy

Don't forget the 8% sales tax!

WWG

Just so this makes sense to everyone, that is at 23% charge for bidding on the net(Tax + Premiums).

To some, maybe the money does not matter, but peep this.....a $5,000 score is actually going to cost you about $6,150. That is NOT a bargain, UNLESS the knife gets low play...which is unlikely in this format.

No insult meant to Ed or others, but I'll be keeping my marbles out of this ring.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Just so this makes sense to everyone, that is at 23% charge for bidding on the net(Tax + Premiums).

To some, maybe the money does not matter, but peep this.....a $5,000 score is actually going to cost you about $6,150. That is NOT a bargain, UNLESS the knife gets low play...which is unlikely in this format.

No insult meant to Ed or others, but I'll be keeping my marbles out of this ring.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

My thoughts exactly STeven. Very nice pieces, but could get pricey.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, sales tax can not be charged on online sales, unless the outfit has a presence in your state. That's the way it works for online retail (so far), and I don't know if different rules apply to auctions (I don't think so, as you're not charged sales taxes when you buy from eBay, unless the seller is in your state). If it's the case in this format, then people in person would pay 10% + 8%, whereas people on the net would pay 15%.

I think Mike T.(missinglink) is crazy for driving up that Loerchner already....it could hit $10,000 or better with that kind of drive up....which makes it overpriced, IMO.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
Ah, who would of thought that STeven would chime in on my bidding pleasure.:D The way I see it the price on certain maker's will hit the roof. Now or later, what's the difference? To own certain maker's work take's a certain amount of expendable income. This expendable income I am willing to spend. How I spend it is my pleasure. I think this is very exciting! I can't wait to see what happen's in a month from now.

Hi Joss,

I think you have to pay the 8% regardless of whether you are there or on line. Unless you have a resale certificate from your state.

Either way, Ed is not holding a gun to anyone's head.

Should be an interesting weekend. Between the Chicago Show, the Tactical Invitational and the Auction. It will be interesting to see how it affects sales at the show and after the show.

WWG

You just watch Loerchner Knive's,if you think they are over priced at $10k.They have yet to near their peak.
Just my opinion of course,although I have sold a few recently
Dave

You just watch Loerchner Knive's,if you think they are over priced at $10k.They have yet to near their peak.
Just my opinion of course,although I have sold a few recently
Dave

Dave AND Mike,

You boys know that some people have gazillions of dollars and don't really care what things cost....OK, that makes perfect sense to them, doesn't make 'em smart or stupid, just means that the "play money" is relatively limitless for their chosen interests.

I come from a very modest background...like foodstamps for a while modest, and Mike T. knows this, if I remember correctly. We are free to disagree, we probably always will, like on the proper way to resolve a disagreement, right buddy?;)

While I now live pretty high on the hog, gotta save for that rainy day.
Money will always have a meaning to me, and if 5-10 people with enough money to snap up every available piece from a particular maker drive a maker's cost through the stratosphere, I have no real interest in playing that game. Wolfe's work is top quality Dave, and you may be right about the price, probably are, but it don't make sense to me, and couples with the fact that to me, Wolfe is a bit of a tool.

I'd rather have the perfect Fogg, Hancock, Dean, or Foster. Gonna take them with more money than sense a while to screw up that market.:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Hi Joss,

I think you have to pay the 8% regardless of whether you are there or on line. Unless you have a resale certificate from your state.

As I said, I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but I know that online businesses don't charge me tax unless they have an outlet in my state (WA). I recall from my stint at Amazon.com that we didn't have to charge taxes unless we had operations in the state, which was a deciding factor on where we put our distribution centers (e.g., in Nevada rather than California).

Back