Anybody fish with "vintage" gear?

A few months ago I picked up a Wright McGill Champion 7 foot spinning rod. It was in nice condition, but for some weird reason, the stripper
guide had been twisted in the wrap a little :confused: The wrap was still fine, but it had to be redone to correctly straighten out the guide,
and she said she didn't think she could get a close match on the wrap, so I had her redo the entire rod...

I sent it to a gal that does rod repair and she also builds custom rods too. I had never dealt with her before, but she came very highly
recommended by a local fly fishing shop here where I live, so I took a chance...
I got it back on Monday, and am very happy with it. It totally transformed the rod. Unfortunately, for some reason my pictures
are really sucking today.

A couple weeks ago, I picked up a very early Wright McGill All American spinning rod. It certainly isn't mint condition, but it is still a nice old rod.
I don't know that I will ever fish with it, but it is cool, and has some history in the Wright McGill story...

IMG_20160824_182714533_zpsro54llpf.jpg

IMG_20160824_182742277_zpsjzfb17kn.jpg

IMG_20160824_182659125_zps2xhe3qha.jpg

IMG_20160824_182911528_zpspkqtylwo.jpg

IMG_20160824_183046848_zpsq0bzotbl.jpg

Another member posted a picture of an old Shakespeare reel awhile back, and I liked the look of it, and the color :D
So, I was keeping an eye out on the big auctions site, and came across this one...
It's a nice little reel. Very well made, and extremely smooth. It's my first old Shakespeare reel, but now I am looking at others :D

IMG_20160824_183135264_zpsjwvosjuk.jpg

Those are freaking beauties. I love the color on the Champion. That color was what first attracted me to their rods.

Those are freaking beauties. I love the color on the Champion. That color was what first attracted me to their rods.

Thanks Mack. The color was what first caught my attention too. Out of all the old rods I have looked at while searching online, I have
never seen another company from that era that made their rods in a similar color. It kinda makes the rod look like it was a custom.

Never actually fished with this gift, but treasure it none the less

Reversible handle, fly or cast... I think it is bamboo as well.

Some other old soldiers

I don't know if it will catch anything but it sure catches my eye.

Thanks, Mike.

The whole DAM family. Now the quest is on for a vintage Wright Mcgill for the 220.

The 220 goes nicely with my Lamiglas 1000. My manicure? Not so much.

I don't know if it will catch anything but it sure catches my eye.

Thanks, Mike.

The whole DAM family. Now the quest is on for a vintage Wright Mcgill for the 220.

The 220 goes nicely with my Lamiglas 1000. My manicure? Not so much.

It works. Mono tends to break the bakelite spools. Don't ask how I know this.

Great pictures Mack... The old gear has so much more character than the new stuff. Not to mention, it was built a lot better.
I'm glad I saw your tip about Mono being hard on the DAM spools, but now I think I might have to peel the new Mono I put on my 220 off because, if it can and or will happen, it will definitely happen to me :D

The picture of your Lamiglas is very cool. You should send that to Lamiglas. I think it would be really neat if they would put it on their website.
Let me know if you want to do that. I have Lucas' direct email address at Lamiglas, and you could send it straight to him.

Great pictures Mack... The old gear has so much more character than the new stuff. Not to mention, it was built a lot better.
I'm glad I saw your tip about Mono being hard on the DAM spools, but now I think I might have to peel the new Mono I put on my 220 off because, if it can and or will happen, it will definitely happen to me :D

The picture of your Lamiglas is very cool. You should send that to Lamiglas. I think it would be really neat if they would put it on their website.
Let me know if you want to do that. I have Lucas' direct email address at Lamiglas, and you could send it straight to him.

The warning I got about mono is that it will stretch and tighten as you use it and break the spool as it did on my 220. I still use it but when I do I start the spool with 30-50 yards of dacron line to keep it from overtightening. So far that's worked. The was what Penn recommended on their plastic/bakelite spools.
Send him the pic. I'd love to see them use it somewhere.

SWMBO, like most women has always been searching for her Prince. Thanks to Mike and his lovely bride she finally has one. I hope she likes the DAM thing. :D

attachment.php

View attachment 663515

The warning I got about mono is that it will stretch and tighten as you use it and break the spool as it did on my 220. I still use it but when I do I start the spool with 30-50 yards of dacron line to keep it from overtightening. So far that's worked. The was what Penn recommended on their plastic/bakelite spools.
Send him the pic. I'd love to see them use it somewhere.

SWMBO, like most women has always been searching for her Prince. Thanks to Mike and his lovely bride she finally has one. I hope she likes the DAM thing. :D

attachment.php

View attachment 663515

LOL on the Prince :D

That would be really cool if Lamiglas would use it. I will send it to Lucas in the morning... I bet they don't often see their rods wearing reels
that were made 50 or so years ago. Heck, maybe you could get a new rod out of the deal :cool:

These DAM things keep showing up. I couldn't say no to a 440, could I?

Last edited:
These DAM things keep showing up. I couldn't say no to a 440, could I?

That looks like a nice one :cool:

Funny you posted that, because the wife and I went to La Pine to look at some new stuff the tackle guy got in,
and he had a very nice 220N sitting on the shelf, and I thought of you when I saw it...

The wife bought a couple old lanterns and some other miscellaneous stuff. I snagged a beautiful Wright McGill Powerlight 8 1/2 foot spinning rod.
I've seen a couple on ebay and thought they were cool, but had never seen one in person. It's the usual cool Wright McGill brownish color, but
these rods have yellow wraps instead of the usual brown or dark green.

I picked up a couple more Mitchell reels and spools, and some old literature too. I was going to bring the 220 home, but with what we got today,
on top of two more Penn reels that are coming, I figured we spent enough for awhile :( I really hate trying to be responsible...

That looks like a nice one :cool:

Funny you posted that, because the wife and I went to La Pine to look at some new stuff the tackle guy got in,
and he had a very nice 220N sitting on the shelf, and I thought of you when I saw it...

The wife bought a couple old lanterns and some other miscellaneous stuff. I snagged a beautiful Wright McGill Powerlight 8 1/2 foot spinning rod.
I've seen a couple on ebay and thought they were cool, but had never seen one in person. It's the usual cool Wright McGill brownish color, but
these rods have yellow wraps instead of the usual brown or dark green.

I picked up a couple more Mitchell reels and spools, and some old literature too. I was going to bring the 220 home, but with what we got today,
on top of two more Penn reels that are coming, I figured we spent enough for awhile :( I really hate trying to be responsible...

If you do get the 220n, I'll send you the spare spool I have for it. The N series can't be changed to right hand retrieve so I am avoiding them.

Last edited:
If you do get the 220n, I'll send you the spare spool I have for it. The N series can't be changed to right hand retrieve do I am avoiding them.

Cool... I'm not sure if I will get it or not. Funny thing is, I was thinking about it earlier this morning :D

I've been playing with the 440 much more than I should. I spooled it up with Tuf Line 20lb dacron and next weekend I'll bobber fish for chinooks with it. It should work perfectly.

Last edited:
I like the 440. It's big but not overly big, if that makes any sense :D I know you have had a rough salmon season; hopefully your new 440 will
bring you good luck, and next weekend things will turn around for you

I drowned a ton of sand shrimp and wore myself out yesterday all for naught.
It was still fun but I want to catch one soon.

Last edited:

I recognize this reel, wow .Thats a beautiful reel . For my 12th birthday I recieved this reel and a Shakesphere Wonder Rod . It was my pride and Joy .That would have been 1969 . The reel is long gone , I wore it out . I still have the rod . I would love to match the two back up .

Last edited:
Back