Anybody see the new designs on the website?

I saw a few I'd really like to try out. The Aura-Camping and the Aura folder grabbed my attention, especially the folder. That knife looks really comfortable to use. The Pendulum obviously. I'm really interested to see how that bolster release works out and it looks like a beastly design that can take some abuse. The Fielder (assisted), even though SOG is getting a lot of crap for the whole Lum resemblance, looks interesting enough that I would give it a day in court. I like a lot of the features of that knife, assisted, lockback, etc. One that I really want to try out is the SOGfari 18" machete. I love machetes and the handle on that one looks really interesting. I don't really care for the sawback stuff, but I never choose a machete based on that. SOG says that it's a "real working saw". I'd like to find out. If I could find a machete that actually did have a decent saw spine, I think it would force me to come up with new ways to use it. The Toothlock... honestly I have no idea what I see in it, but it just looks like something you'd have to pick up and play with.

I am VERY intrigued by the Aura Camping knife. I wish the sharpener was a fire steel though.

Honestly, I don't know how well it would work as a striker for a firesteel. Despite what some might say, you really do need certain materials to make a decent striker and I don't know how well that one would function. Doesn't mean I wouldn't find out though.

After reading through the many comments here and on other threads and forums, I've had a chance to digest your thoughts and concerns- in turn, I passed those concerns onto Spencer (our founder and Chief Designer) to get his thought on the matter. Here is his response.

Thank you for your comments and input. Just to clarify a few misconceptions that we have seen in print lately- SOG is and always has been dedicated to producing innovative quality products with the needs of the consumer in mind. Since our inception in 1986, we have seen the industry evolve and grow. We are proud of the fact that we have been responsible, along with many others, in helping this happen. Today there are so many companies and individuals out there contributing to our great industry, and as a result many ideas appear across company lines; You can be assured that we at SOG work hard to protect our trademark and intellectual properties, while at the same time working to respect the intellectual property of others.

There are many many designs out in the market. We as designers and manufacturers individually contribute to the advancement of the industry as a whole through our innovations. As occurs with all industries, when a design feature becomes popularized , others within the industry look to build upon this innovation. A great example would be the hole in the blade that now is used by many companies- Did you know that this was originated by Scagel back in the 30’s? Or the tanto blade shape made popular in many tactical designs, which originated in ancient Japanese styling and now commonplace for many knife companies? SOG saw our bowie style folders spread though the industry, and the same can be said for other’s innovations, like the lock back, the liner lock, the interframe, thumbstuds, the invent of multi-tools, kraton handles, clips on knives, etc.

Indeed all knives have historical precedent. Although it is a very distinctive product in its own right, our SogZilla line did call upon previous generations of knives for inspiration. There is no chance of it being mistaken as it is emblazoned with the SOG logo, has a novel opening shape, distinctive dual directional handle pattern, and other design features which are unique to itself.

On another note we are concerned with the threat to all of the legitimate knife companies and knife buying public with the blatant copy and counterfeiting of products. There are people out there who are exactly copying a product, brand name, logo, and even packaging. We have seen this in greater incidence and are actively combating each and every occurrence.

We appreciate your passion and dedication to the knife category and to SOG. You can be assured that we will continue to push forward and contribute to the evolution of the industry as we create exciting new products.

Spencer Frazer
Founder and Chief Designer

I hope this helps alleviate any concerns you may have, or at the very least clarify SOG's official position on the matter. As always, if you have thoughts or concerns you wish to share on a one on one basis, you can always email me at marketing@sogknives.com.

Chris Cashbaugh
SOG Marketing Director

Thanks for getting back to us Chris, but this isn't quite the message we wanted to hear.

If Mr. Frazer were caught cheating on a test, his defense would most likely be that throughout history, test takers increasingly wrote down similar answers as they realized what the teacher wanted to hear, so therefore it is fine to copy another's answer word for word.

I got on the SOG website and saw over a dozen new knives. I cant wait to get one or two of the new fixed blades and test it out. Awesome SOG!

I see new knives but not many NEW designs. Hope the three SOGs I have last. There will be no replacement.

Looks like SOG is going downhill with cheaper models in much the same way that Cold Steel did after Camillus stopped making CarbonV IE Cold Steel didn't make blades.

I have a SOG Woodline folder here on my desk and while the shape is rather nice it has every mark of a Chinese flea market knife, no where the quality of SOGs original line up.

So what we want to hear SOG say is the reality that they are getting into the cheaper knife market. Their official reply has not addressed our comments about cheap Chinese made products of low end steel. Companies do that after they have made a name for themselves, then they live of their name with people remembering their past fame. Think of SOG as a famous rock band of 30 years ago coming back as ageing musicians. People like ESEE are the younger rockstars of the day lol.

Back