Anybody travel?

I've had bad experience with the TSA as well as witnessing others not being allowed things, sometimes at the gates by the aircraft personnel... not related to knives. I've known some friends that weren't restricted for things I've been restricted with (or similar). Why risk it. Regarding tools, I always put a LM Juice S2 in my checked luggage (toiletries bag).

Any TSA agent can confiscate anything they want from you. For any reason they can make up or no reason at all. If it's valuable to you DON'T carry through a checkpoint. Check it into the baggage hold. I am totally amazed that anyone would buy a pocketknife with no blade just so they can carry it through the checkpoint.

Last edited:
Gerber Shard, as mentioned above, plus a small vise grip... I can't tell you how many times my Victorinox Jet Setter has been questioned.

Just two weeks ago, in Charlotte's airport, TSA wouldn't let me through security with a Vic Classic on my keyring.

I'm very tan so I get a lot of attention at airports

I put <20$ a chinese folder in my suitcase. I have taken multi tools in my carry on on accident. Very risky business was lucky not to lose a juice.

As other's have said....There are rules but they don't matter. The more you like like an unassuming American grandfather the more you can get away with. Theft seems to be the bigger issue

What does an unassuming American grandfather look like? I'm American and old enough to be a grandfather, but appearance-wise don't fit the image of what most people think of when they think 'American'. I'd say just be unassuming, period, and don't act nervous or shifty.

When I used to air travel a lot back in the '80s and '90s, I carried a Victorinox Spartan right onto the plane in my pocket everywhere I went, which included South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, as well as various US airports, without problem. Obviously, that's now impossible. Last time I flew, back in 2003, I had only a carry-on bag, so I took no knife at all with me, and went knifeless for a few days.

If I air traveled again nowadays, I probably wouldn't take any more knife than a Victorinox Classic in my checked-in luggage (if I had a checked-in bag). Otherwise, I'd simply forego carrying a knife again during the trip. Sounds blasphemous, I know, but at least I'd have nothing like that to potentially stress over.

Jim

Last edited:
What does an unassuming American grandfather look like? I'm American and old enough to be a grandfather, but appearance-wise don't fit the image of what most people think of when they think 'American'. I'd say just be unassuming, period, and don't act nervous or shifty.

When I used to air travel a lot back in the '80s and '90s, I carried a Victorinox Spartan right onto the plane in my pocket everywhere I went, which included South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, as well as various US airports, without problem. Obviously, that's now impossible. Last time I flew, back in 2003, I had only a carry-on bag, so I took no knife at all with me, and went knifeless for a few days.

If I air traveled again nowadays, I probably wouldn't take any more knife than a Victorinox Classic in my checked-in luggage (if I had a checked-in bag). Otherwise, I'd simply forego carrying a knife again during the trip. Sounds blasphemous, I know, but at least I'd have nothing like that to potentially stress over.

Jim

There are all sorts of things that are going to give you a bad time at an airport no matter how shifty or unshifty you are.

If you have a name like Muhammad Hussein, you're gonna have a bad time at an American airport if you travel much. Sooner or later, probably regularly

If you look like you could be Osama's nephew, you're gonna have a bad time.

You should always be aware of how people perceive you and what you're gonna likely be able to get away with in any context where the rules might be applied subjectively. Like an airport or a police interaction.

I've been traveling fairly regularly overseas and what is a "security risk" is highly subjective. It doesn't matter what you bring some agent somewhere will find it dangerous.

I've had folding scissors, nail clippers, eyeglass screwdriver, etc all confiscated (pointy improvised stabbing). Latest was perhaps the silliest. I had a Style PS, no knife blade, just pliers, scissors, and a nail file/Phillips. Passed thru eight countries minimum prior to this. Confiscated in Japan because it "may give impression I have a knife to others", NOT because it posed a threat. Guess the tiny man got a new toy.

Fantastic. Probably never going to compromise again and just check all tools.

1C23ECFA-0368-4371-95D6-BD57DE2CB605.jpeg I just converted this take apart Aluminum 110 into a Selector (exchanger). When flying, I carry the “tool” handle onto the plane and put the “tool accessory” in my checked bag.

Back