Anybody using an inline air compressor water filter/air dryer?

Guys,
I am just about to begin bead blasting for the first time, and I was wondering if any of you guys feel it is necessary to use one of those small inline filters used to remove water from your air lines? I've also seen those much more expensive "air dryers" that look like big boxes, that also remove water/moisture from the lines.
Anybody use these, or is everyone just hooking the air hose straight up?
Thanks.

The inline filter with water trap will work fine, the larger dryers are used for high production..Just make sure your sand is dry..

Are these things necessary, or are most people not even using them? I always thought most guys didn't even bother.... Thanks for your help bud.

It depends on the amount of moisture your air compressor pushes through the hose - which usually is a result of the humidity in the room and the length of the air line.

When I first set my blast cabinet up, I tried getting by with just a simple regulator/filter. Within a few hours, "mud" was forming on my blast gun.

Since then, I've put a two-stage coelescing filter and a dryer right at my blast cabinet and now the media stays bone dry.

Driers are also recommended for air powered tools like die grinders, since running moisture through them can significantly reduce their life span.

Moisture in the air :confused: What sort of thing is that? Gib, Tai, Planterz, you guys ever hear of that stuff?

{Basement shops in Pa. have it}
Big time!!
If you aren't running your blaster a lot, try one of those plastic filters sold in autobody stores intended for use with spray guns.
I use them in front of my sprayguns but don't know if they can take too high a pressure. bruce

I just use the inline filters. I have one bigger one at the compressor and one of the Walmart cheapies, on each line connection.

Back