Anyone carry a PST ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Do you carry a PST ?
I plan to for sure when it gets here.
You can't be a true Leatherman fan without a PST right ?
They're just an iconic classic and I knew I had to have one

I already have a fuse that I love a lot, so the price had to be right and so far it hasn't been. If people didn't seem to want a bit too much for a decent one these days I would have owned one already.
Well I just won a great condition PST on eBay for a price I'm happy with and can't wait to carry it for a good while.
I don't imagine it will completely replace my fuse that I've gotten so used to over the years, but I think we'll get along just fine.
If it fits well in my fuse sheath I'll just carry it in that, otherwise I'll make an open top sheath for it.

The only Leatherman’s I own are PST’s. One stays in the boat always. I picked up a brand spanking new one at a flea market for $20 last year. The third one is my first one I bought on ship while in the Persian gulf in the Marines. They’ve always worked for anything I needed them to do.

Last edited:
i liken the original plier tool to a ww2 jeep
and the rest of the beefy bulls that followed
- as hummers.
there's just something endearing about its
inherent simplicity and ruggedness which
has everything to do with its compactness,
weight and size.
its an icon which gets the job done minus
the frills i guess. its nonetheless a solid
performer which still reserves a place in
my choice of carry.

i liken the original plier tool to a ww2 jeep
and the rest of the beefy bulls that followed
- as hummers.
there's just something endearing about its
inherent simplicity and ruggedness which
has everything to do with its compactness,
weight and size.
its an icon which gets the job done minus
the frills i guess. its nonetheless a solid
performer which still reserves a place in
my choice of carry.
As a hammer guy who finds a nice one to be a beautifully simple tool I'm offended, but I see your point :D

"hammer"??! hummer = HUMV
no matter.. as i can appreciate the analogy all the same ;-)
early vintage ones had hand ground imperfections.
if you get those, study the cut juncture on the handle
that works as the bladetools back stop.
i had the unfortunate experience of having uneven cut lengths
that would over stress upon any hard squeezing on the handles
during plier functions.
great thing of course was the 25-year guarantee :)
so hey, i m no collector but there are some things which collectors
closely look at in dating the PST...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5877.0.html

"hammer"??! hummer = HUMV
no matter.. as i can appreciate the analogy all the same ;-)
early vintage ones had hand ground imperfections.
if you get those, study the cut juncture on the handle
that works as the bladetools back stop.
i had the unfortunate experience of having uneven cut lengths
that would over stress upon any hard squeezing on the handles
during plier functions.
great thing of course was the 25-year guarantee :)
so hey, i m no collector but there are some things which collectors
closely look at in dating the PST...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5877.0.html

Oops, my mistake.

The pst I've got coming is 5/96 dated, so I don't think it's one of the early ones with this issue.

Btw was it the earliest PST's, or the Japanese PST's that had this issue ?

US figure its gotta be circa 80's.
ps. also it had no metric scale, only inch rule

Last edited:
I love the PST & PST 2. I would like to buy more PST 2's especially.

To me pocket tools like the Squirt are too teeny tiny to be as capable as I need. But the Wave, Surge etc. are too heavy to carry on me and stay in the car.

The PST is big and sturdy enough for real work, but slim and light enough for pocket carry.

I don't mind non-locking tools or opening from the inside as much as I do the weight and bulk of the modern Leathermans. I never found the pliers as bad on the hands as others did, maybe I have tough hands.

I also tried the Rev and Wingman as lightweight tools but the only thing they do better than the PST is the pocket clip. Everything else is worse. Shorter blades, less drivers, pointless tools like the package opener, awful files and the pliers handles don't open to the same angle as the PST so they're harder to get grip.

To me pocket tools like the Squirt are too teeny tiny to be as capable as I need. But the Wave, Surge etc. are too heavy to carry on me and stay in the car.

I carry a squirt in my pocket every day because I've realized that I don't need a full sized set of pliers on me at home.
I've just about got a small tool box in every room of the house and a drawer full of nothing but plyers in my main box in the garage.

The smaller classic rectangular format of what some people consider a medium duty multitool is definitely as much as I ever need in a multitool for sure though.

I gave my father an original PST for Christmas not long after they were put in production. He never went anywhere without it being on his belt. He passed away 9 years ago and I carry his PST every chance I get. I also have his hammer, an old Craftsman with a hickory handle which he cherished dearly, as I do as well. The original PST has its flaws but it is the original.

I love the PST & PST 2. I would like to buy more PST 2's especially.

The PST is big and sturdy enough for real work, but slim and light enough for pocket carry.

I don't mind non-locking tools or opening from the inside as much as I do the weight and bulk of the modern Leathermans. I never found the pliers as bad on the hands as others did, maybe I have tough hands.

I also tried the Rev and Wingman as lightweight tools but the only thing they do better than the PST is the pocket clip. Everything else is worse. Shorter blades, less drivers, pointless tools like the package opener, awful files and the pliers handles don't open to the same angle as the PST so they're harder to get grip.
The Leatherman PST pictured above certainly doesn't look like it's light or small enough for practical pocket carry. Give the SOG PowerPint a look.

I personally like and use the Squirt quite often and mostly for the pliers.

Looked up the PST II and it's 4 inches long. I think it's just pocketable and probably a great tool. I plan on taking a look at one next time I see one in a store. I assume the PST is the same size.

Last edited:
I have an original Leatherman PST that I purchased in the early 90's. Its in my car's glove compartment as a backup. I carry a 15+ year old Leatherman Wave nearly everyday. I find it far superior to the PST in safety, comfort, and for heavier duty use.

The Leatherman PST pictured above certainly doesn't look like it's light or small enough for practical pocket carry. Give the SOG PowerPint a look.

I personally like and use the Squirt quite often and mostly for the pliers.

Looked up the PST II and it's 4 inches long. I think it's just pocketable and probably a great tool. I plan on taking a look at one next time I see one in a store. I assume the PST is the same size.
I assure you it is.
The pst2 is the same length but might be a little thicker because it has scissors.
This PST is in my watch pocket right now and I don't even notice it's there. ( My watch pocket on most of my pants is kind of large )
It's slim , not very thick, and it's not that heavy.
I don't think it's even as thick as a Buck 110 and I doubt it weighs a full seven ounces.
I already have a squirt that's been in my pocket every since day for the past year.
Actually I might be past that by about a week now.

I like the idea of the Powerpint, but it's ugly and I'm pretty sure it's imported which is a deal breaker for me.

I assure you it is.
The pst2 is the same length but might be a little thicker because it has scissors.
This PST is in my watch pocket right now and I don't even notice it's there. ( My watch pocket on most of my pants is kind of large )
It's slim , not very thick, and it's not that heavy.
I don't think it's even as thick as a Buck 110 and I doubt it weighs a full seven ounces.
I already have a squirt that's been in my pocket every since day for the past year.
Actually I might be past that by about a week now.

I like the idea of the Powerpint, but it's ugly and I'm pretty sure it's imported which is a deal breaker for me.
Added: You assure me of what exactly?

I think the 110 is ungodly thick and heavy for a knife these days. But I know you like them a lot. If I carry a knife like that, it's the Schrade 250T in a belt pouch. I like having two large blades and the weight difference is not important when it's on your belt.

I believe the PST II weighs 5 oz. It also is not cheap.

I keep a Vic Small Tinker in my watch pocket, and that isn't going anywhere. The Squirt is on my key ring and normally in my pocket.

I would imagine that the SOG PowerPint is imported, but that is not a deal breaker for me. Ugly? They're all ugly. Over Half the stuff you buy these days is imported. Vic SAKs are imported. I look at product quality and SOG makes good multi-tools. I like the needle nosed pliers on the PowerPint and that I can use the little driver bits. That is in fact why I got it in the first place. It's in my pickup; not in my pocket. If I were using it say on a job, it would be temporarily in my pocket and then placed back in my PU. It reportedly weights 4.2 oz. To me that is fairly chunky and will not find a routine home in a pocket unless I'm using it.

Last edited:
Added: You assure me of what exactly?
That it's pocketable for me.

I said I was going to try it in my watch pocket for awhile since I need to make a sheath for it and you said it doesn't look light or small enough for practical pocket carry then recommended something else.
It's in my pocket right now and I don't find it large heavy or impractical.

This is not a recommendation for others to do the same and I will probably go with sheath carry for it, but it's working fine in my pocket as is for now.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel Don't mean to be combative. But I suspect you have never tried a SOG multi-tool. I consider the top brands to be Victorinox, Leatherman, and SOG with multi-tools. I have several Gerber's, but I seldom ever choose one of them to use. I find them in houses I clean out sometimes and have probably three of them. I do want to look at the PST II in a store and hopefully be able to handle it. I won't buy it in order to handle it as I have more multi-tools than I can use. REI may sell them.... I can look there as I think they keep them under a glass case versus shoplifter proof packaging. I will be very close to the large East TN knife store that I refer to as the Rough Ryder store tomorrow, but I won't have time to stop. They would likely have them in stock. The selection of knives is incredible there.

Don't mean to be combative. But I suspect you have never tried a SOG multi-tool
My cousin received an older US made SOG ( probably a power axis ) multi tool from his older brother who no longer needed it when he got back from deployment, and that thing was beat to hell but was probably as solid as it came from the factory.
I was definitely impressed by the quality of it.
I'm not interested in trying a current model from Taiwan or China or wherever though.
It's just personal preference but I don't buy multipliers that are made in China or Taiwan.

Back