Anyone do BJJ or Muay Thai?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Does anyone here have experience with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Muay Thai?

I ask because I just signed up at a local school for both, and will be starting classes next week. Looks like a great school with pro level Instructors.

I'm not looking to be an MMA fighter; just augment my current defensive skills with some grapping and better striking. Years ago I sparred with a pro kickboxer and long time BJJ competitor and got owned big time. Ground fighting is a big weakness for me, especially if I'm not on top. My "edge in" knives were specifically designed with "anti grapping" in mind.

I trained in traditional martial arts years ago, and was actually pretty good. I won a few tournaments, but nothing major. However, I haven't done any training in a while, so it's going to be interesting starting back.

Any tips for either BJJ or Muay Thai?

Glad your starting BJJ, its a very fun and practical Martial Art.

Best advice is keep calm and take your time. YOU WILL TAP, so why fight it(Be smart and don't get injured) and waste more energy than you should? Get comfortable in all positions and just have fun in general! Ask more questions if you'd like, i'm all for helping out!

-Mark

Are you doing both? Separate classes or mixed classes?

I will be doing both BJJ and Muay Thai.

The classes are actually separate, and taught by different Instructors.

I don't think I could handle doing both classes in the same day right now; I know it's a pretty taxing workout.

I may just do BJJ twice a week and Muay Thai twice a week for a while.

Glad your starting BJJ, its a very fun and practical Martial Art.

Best advice is keep calm and take your time. YOU WILL TAP, so why fight it(Be smart and don't get injured) and waste more energy than you should? Get comfortable in all positions and just have fun in general! Ask more questions if you'd like, i'm all for helping out!

-Mark

Thanks Mark!

I'm with you on tapping early and often; certainly don't want to get hurt!

I know when I'm caught...as you said, no point fighting it.

My biggest problem is getting a skilled opponent off me on the ground.

It seems like a skilled BJJ student can simply get on top and wait for you to tire out before he chokes you.

Thanks Mark!

I'm with you on tapping early and often; certainly don't want to get hurt!

I know when I'm caught...as you said, no point fighting it.

My biggest problem is getting a skilled opponent off me on the ground.

It seems like a skilled BJJ student can simply get on top and wait for you to tire out before he chokes you.

Yep, happened to me way too many times :/ That's when I started to pull guard and things went a little bit easier, tough but easier non the less. What helped me the most was learning to chain my attacks and sweeps from the guard. Attack Kimura -> Kimura Sweep/Hip Bump -> Guillotine -> etc. But mainly the Kimura Sweep/Him Bump is what helped me get on top 80% of the time from Guard.

If they end up getting mount or side control, I would try in obtaining half-guard ASAP! All the while protecting your neck and tucking in those elbows :)

This is my game plan everytime I roll! and I haven't been submitted as often, only from my instructors :/

Hope that helped!

You mentioned that you are uncomfortable if you aren't on top, it would be helpful to learn to embrace guard. As another poster mentioned, stay calm. Training in class should not be like a tournament even when free rolling. Students should be concentrating on technique and transitions.

Johnathan, It's awesome you're training bjj! Already coming from a martial arts back ground you will be learning just that much faster and you'll be addicted in no time:) I agree with what has already been said about being the guy on bottom. Embrace your guard and half guard and try to control your opponents posture. Once you're there just relax. Spazing is the enemy! but it's pretty common among new folks just starting the jits. If you get bored check out "submissions101" and the "gracieacademy" youtube channels. Some GREAT free info there....Have fun dude!

Thanks guys!

Just a quick update; the gym schedule changed a bit, so I'll be going to my first Muay Thai class tomorrow morning!

Wish me luck! ;)

Day 1 update!

Went to Muay Thai class this morning.

This is the absolute most hardcore workout I have ever done!

We did a solid hour of circuit training that was brutal. Seriously, Rocky type stuff. It really made me realize how out of shape I am. I started getting too hot (no AC in the school) and dehydrated, and had to stop towards the end. I know when I've gone too far, and I was there!

One thing I learned today is that I don't know how to jump rope. Call me crazy, but I never learned how to jump rope as a kid. I could get about 20 clean jumps, then I would hit my feet with the rope due to fatigue. I'm going to have to practice this quite a bit, as I look like the most uncoordinated person on the planet attempting to skip rope.

I imagine that if you did this a few times a week for a few months, you would be in amazing shape! I am in awe of guys who do this all the time. I spoke with one student who started 3 weeks ago, and he said that he's noticed a big difference in his fitness levels.

My plan is to stick with this long term, so I'm really interested to see how I progress.

Headed back to the gym tomorrow; hope it goes better this time.

Hey,

Ive been training both on and off for about 4 years now and it's been a really great experience for me. Here are some tips I would want to know if I had to start over

1.) Learn basic ground positions and submissions before you go to your first class. It will make everything easier and you will learn faster. Know what guard, mount, side control, north south, and half guard are. Also know what an arm bar, triangle choke, rear naked choke, guillotine choke, and kimura are. You can learn them all from youtube. Just by knowing these few basic things you will be able to massively accelerate your learning curve.

2.) Don't freak out the first time you roll/ grapple. I remember gassing out in about 30 seconds when I started because I was so nervous and tense. Just relax and try to use your body weight, not your strength, to hold people down.

3.) Don't be scared to tap. If you feel any pain just tap. No shame at all in it. Its important to put safety first, especially when you may get submitted with a move you've never seen and don't know how to defend it.

Striking tips!

1.) learn the basic punches and kicks before class. Again, youtube is very helpful here. Know a jab, right cross, left hook, right hook and uppercut before you go to class. In muay thai you will be doing round house kicks with your shins. Never hit with your feet. A front kick in muay thai is called a Teep kick. In muay thai pretty much all you use are teep kicks and round kicks.

2.) Relax and try to get a rhythm when striking. I like to listen to music when I hit a bag and punch to the beat. It just helps you become fluid. I was very stiff when I started striking and learning rhythm really helped me.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

if you are using a weighted jumprope and hitting yourself in the toes, try switching to backwards. It hurts a lot less and it will skip under your heels instead of stopping on your toes.

Also, killing yourself on the crossfit/cardio stuff is very satisfying but unproductive in the long run if you aren't already in great shape. I decided one day I was going to keep up with the teenagers and it left me sore for 6 days. I like to take it a little slower and more careful. I tore my knee out training when I was so tired I could barely hold myself up. Out 2 months, not worth it.

I tore my knee out training when I was so tired I could barely hold myself up.

I did the EXACT same thing a few years ago. I know when to quit now.

Very sore today, but headed back next week.

I don't know what your martial background, or your goal is, but since you asked, here is my $.02.

If your goal is self-defense (and you can find it) go for a traditional Japanese JiuJitsu. It is a combat art and much more reality based than BJJ. There is a lot of focus on things like target denial, and the fact that the goal is not "to fight", the goal is to end the fight victoriously- it really is a different mindset. I was taught many ways to put someone on the ground (and did learn some groundwork), but the goal was never to join them there, unless it was more important for some reason to control them and not hurt them. I was also taught plenty of stand-up controls, joint locks and so on.

I think Muay Thai is a great complement to JJ, as would Crav Maga or any other aggressive striking style be. Also, it sounds like conditioning is given a lot of emphasis, and that alone can make the difference.

Back