Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

As much as I love traditional, I find myself moving more and more towards SAK's as I can't go a day without a screwdriver and scissors. I've had a SAK craftsman chained to me almost every day since I got it over a year ago and a classic in a pouch for even longer. It has been indispensable at the university I go to/work at almost every day, either I or someone else needs something fixed (as something always needs to be fixed here). Even with my freakishly small hands, the 6 layered craftsman fits comfortably in it as well as my pocket. Though I love it, I eagerly await the pioneer x to come to the US. It's an alox with large scissors and would have the most common tools I use on campus. Till then, I will carry this reliable and chunky buddy!

As much as I love traditional, I find myself moving more and more towards SAK's as I can't go a day without a screwdriver and scissors. I've had a SAK craftsman chained to me almost every day since I got it over a year ago and a classic in a pouch for even longer. It has been indispensable at the university I go to/work at almost every day, either I or someone else needs something fixed (as something always needs to be fixed here). Even with my freakishly small hands, the 6 layered craftsman fits comfortably in it as well as my pocket. Though I love it, I eagerly await the pioneer x to come to the US. It's an alox with large scissors and would have the most common tools I use on campus. Till then, I will carry this reliable and chunky buddy!

d16f3bb20e6e9df497afb42a2872e14d.jpg

I'll just leave this right here :)

Yes basically the scissors are where the saw used to be

It may be SAKrilege to the farmer crowd, but I'd rather have a scissors than a saw. I don't often need a saw, but a scissors is handy in real everyday life, everyday. Even the scissors on my little classic are used almost everyday. :thumbup:

It may be SAKrilege to the farmer crowd, but I'd rather have a scissors than a saw. I don't often need a saw, but a scissors is handy in real everyday life, everyday. Even the scissors on my little classic are used almost everyday. :thumbup:

It's more practical and sees more use. It's funny when you carry scissors you'd be surprised at how often you see loose threads lol

Agreed. I can't think of a single time that I wished I had a small saw with me, however, I use the scissors on my Executive all of the time.

I'm sure at some point after high school when I have a job I may move more towards a sak but otherwise I only carry a sak camping or at non knife friendly places because otherwise I'm at home and have access to all the tools

I think most people who carry a SAK only carry a SAK. It's probably the favorite blade for non knife nuts.
There is probably a lot of truth in what you say. SAK only folks likely just want a cutting edge and a few tools for minor repairs and tinkering. They are probably less concerned with blade length or how fast the blade can be deployed. For them, its function over flair....IMHO.

I'm sure at some point after high school when I have a job I may move more towards a sak but otherwise I only carry a sak camping or at non knife friendly places because otherwise I'm at home and have access to all the tools

Way back when, my only knife from age 12 to almost 30 was an Imperial Schrade Kamp King, a SAK knockoff that served me well for camping, work, military service and every other away from home cutting chore, during which I never felt under-knifed. Eventually, I gave it away to a girl friend (who promptly lost it) and replaced it with a SAK. That was my one knife again until I discovered EDC and went crazy, which is where I am today. Don't underestimate the SAK, though. Usually, that's all the pocket knife you need.

I carry a Pioneer almost every day (but often miss the scissors). I enjoy traditional pocket knives, but I rotate them for the enjoyment they provide more than the utility. Except for a few rare occasions or planned outdoor activities, any single blade knife from a sak classic up to a 6" camp knife will cover my daily needs. Thus, I usually carry two....the Pioneer and whatever floats my boat for the day based on my mood in the morning.

I must confess, I'm wanting an X! It's been hectic lately so I admit I haven't looked recently. Are they available in the USA yet?

I think in a month or two. I picked one up from a dealer in europe and about $8 to get it shipped to the USA. I'm still getting used to it being wider. I still enjoy the slender profile of the Pioneer and also hope they provide color options when it comes out here.

edc-160308 (1024x507).jpg

Oh, and its just a wee bit wider than the farmer. I think the spring for the scissors takes up just a bit more than the one for the saw.

Last edited:
I could very easily edc a SAK and nothing else. I did it for years, but in my search for "the one" I amassed a lot of really nice knives that I love to carry and use. I still have a SAK on me everyday, recently it's been a cadet after making the transition from a pioneer. Truth is, in my urban/suburban day to day, a cadet does just fine. I use the tools more than the blade, but I just love the journey of trying to find a "perfect" combination of gear to get me through whatever life throws at me. My hunch is I'll continue to accompany my SAK with another edc blade or two until I finally come back to my senses and realize I had perfection all along with my trusty SAK.

I carry a Pioneer almost every day (but often miss the scissors). I enjoy traditional pocket knives, but I rotate them for the enjoyment they provide more than the utility. Except for a few rare occasions or planned outdoor activities, any single blade knife from a sak classic up to a 6" camp knife will cover my daily needs. Thus, I usually carry two....the Pioneer and whatever floats my boat for the day based on my mood in the morning.

I think in a month or two. I picked one up from a dealer in europe and about $8 to get it shipped to the USA. I'm still getting used to it being wider. I still enjoy the slender profile of the Pioneer and also hope they provide color options when it comes out here.

View attachment 625246

Oh, and its just a wee bit wider than the farmer. I think the spring for the scissors takes up just a bit more than the one for the saw.

Wow. Thanks for that info. That may be the deal-breaker for me. I've owned a Farmer and sold it, due to its thickness. Scissors or no scissors, I don't think I can handle something even thicker.

Sorry, I'm wondering off-topic again.

I also love SAK scissors. They get lots of use and are very sharp and handy. This upcoming Pioneer X will be a great combo of tools.

You know I'm kind of a stickler as far as making sure my gear is comfortable to carry, and for a three layer sak, it surprisngly fits good in my 5th pocket

I also love SAK scissors. They get lots of use and are very sharp and handy. This upcoming Pioneer X will be a great combo of tools.

Me too. They are extremely sharp. It is still a bit surprising how often they get used.

I'm ok with a 3-layer SAK like the farmer or pioneer x, but thats my size/weight limit. I still have an older one that is 5 layers I keep for sentimental reasons but it goes into a backpack or glove box, not a pocket. I used to carry a farmer or super tinker, but a while ago I got used to how slim and light the alox 2 layer pioneer was to carry. Strange, since I never took much to the cadet.

So far I've been fine with the Pioneer X in pocket. Its about as thick as a 2-blade barlow which I also carry sometimes. The scissors is worth the extra size for me.

Me too. They are extremely sharp. It is still a bit surprising how often they get used.

I'm ok with a 3-layer SAK like the farmer or pioneer x, but thats my size/weight limit. I still have an older one that is 5 layers I keep for sentimental reasons but it goes into a backpack or glove box, not a pocket. I used to carry a farmer or super tinker, but a while ago I got used to how slim and light the alox 2 layer pioneer was to carry. Strange, since I never took much to the cadet.

So far I've been fine with the Pioneer X in pocket. Its about as thick as a 2-blade barlow which I also carry sometimes. The scissors is worth the extra size for me.

The Farmer is also my "max" as far as thickness for a pocket knife. I've carried my Farmer alot and have no issues with it in my pocket. This Pioneer X should be no problem.

Back