Anyone else not carry Cold Steel folders in a back or front jeans pocket because the pocket clips are WAY too tight?

I carry CS fixed blades, but I only carry the folders in a jacket pocket or something like that. I find the pocket clip to be almost impossible to use on basically all of them. I am talking to a couple people who might be making a custom clip for the AD10.

I remember back when I had the original version of the Spartan I also had the same problem and there was supposedly this method for drawing it an flicking it open. I tried it a few times and it was a bit scary and didn't always work. So I gave up on using it with the pocket clip, since I have a bunch of other knives that are easier to slip on and were more reliable in opening.

If bending the clip didn't work to loosen it a bit, or if I was concerned about possibly breaking it (not likely going to get a replacement from CS) I would simply make a spacer to go between the clip and the handle to create a gap. I'd likely start with some 1/16th" thick aluminum sheet, drill holes to match the clip screw holes, trace the outline of the attachment point of the clip, and cut and shape the spacer to match the clip. And if necessary I'd use longer screws.

A couple of small washers between the clip and the handle (screws through the washers) should also work to create a small gap. You'd just need to find the right size and thickness of washers.

Last edited:
Just bend the clip out with vice grips. Doesn’t take much, just a little tweak. It doesn’t have to be completely loose, just loose enough that it isn’t impossible to get out of your pocket.

You’ll get that wave opening down with some practice.

If bending the clip didn't work to loosen it a bit, or if I was concerned about possibly breaking it (not likely going to get a replacement from CS) I would simply make a spacer to go between the clip and the handle to create a gap. I'd likely start with some 1/16th" THICK aluminum sheet, drill holes to match the clip screw holes, trace the outline of the attachment point of the clip, and cut and shape the spacer to match the clip. And if necessary I'd use longer screws.

A couple of small washers between the clip and the handle (screws through the washers) should also work to create a small gap. You'd just need to find the right size and thickness of washers.
I like the idea of shimming. I might try that with some rubber o-rings or washers. Finding the right longer tiny screws might be an issue. I have an assortment of screws and pocket clips for Benchmade from a repair kit that I bought from a repair guy years ago and I usually have to look quite awhile just to see if I can find the right ones.

Just bend the clip out with vice grips. Doesn’t take much, just a little tweak. It doesn’t have to be completely loose, just loose enough that it isn’t impossible to get out of your pocket.

I don't know, the wave opening thing seemed kinda sketchy when I tried it. I always felt like the tip was gonna cut my hand. Or it was gonna fly out of my hand.

And under stress it would be even harder to do. But I've never been that great of a balisong flipper either.

I like the idea of shimming. I might try that with some rubber o-rings or washers. Finding the right longer tiny screws might be an issue. I have an assortment of screws for Benchmade that I bought from a repair guy years ago and I usually have to look quite awhile just to see if I can find the right ones.

I don't know, the wave opening thing seemed kinda sketchy when I tried it. I always felt like the tip was gonna cut my hand. Or it was gonna fly out of my hand.

And under stress it would be even harder to do. But I've never been that great of a balisong flipper either.
Practice. Don’t be scared. Just pull the tab straight against the edge of your pocket on the way out. Pull out and away from your body. End up with it open out and to the side.

It’s not gonna cut your hand at all, and won’t fly out of it unless you don’t have a firm grip. If you’re pulling out and away, just drop it if anything goes south, it’ll end up out to the side and slightly behind you on the ground. Come on, you’ve been here since 2002 - can’t believe you’re not a wave master by now.😁

Yea, it just seemed kinda hokey to me. Like.. I have better options, for a fast deploying knife that I'm a lot more familiar with and the pocket clips on those don't hang on to my pocket like it's a $100,000 poker chip.

The CS clips are too tight for my liking. I have removed them and gently straightened them with good success. Just take your time and bend them ever so slightly.

I've actually tightened the clips on a couple CS that I carry.

Not the optimal solution, but I just loosen the screws slightly on mine. Lil bit of wiggle, but the clip still stays secure no prob.

Which models? Across the boards they have always been insane tight to me.
Went back and looks like I only did it on the GoldenEye. I think with it being longer (more flex), and the CF scales being smooth, it just didn't feel secure enough. But agreed that the shorter clips are tighter, especially when the scales are textured.

I've never had a pocket knife fall out from a loose clip yet. I wear jeans everyday though so maybe that's why. what kinda pants is everyone else wearing that are losing knives from loose pocket clips?

Vice grips eh? I've never needed to adjust that much, usually I can get by with just the screw driver on the SAK, pry to perfection. Takes a couple tries so I don't overdo it. Certainly not the hardest adjuatment in the world though. 2 min jobby.

Vice grips eh? I've never needed to adjust that much, usually I can get by with just the screw driver on the SAK, pry to perfection. Takes a couple tries so I don't overdo it. Certainly not the hardest adjuatment in the world though. 2 min jobby.
I take the clip off, wrap the screw hole end with cloth, grab it with some vice grips, and give it a good little bend against a countertop. Check and repeat as necessary.

I take the clip off, wrap the screw hole end with cloth, grab it with some vice grips, and give it a good little bend against a countertop. Check and repeat as necessary.
Ah, makes sense. I usually leave it right on the knife and pry it up a little. Not many CS knives I buy are lookers, just users.

Yeah, I always bend them or replace with aftermarket. I’ve had success using Antdog’s method, as well as using a string to lift up on the clip while it’s still attached.

Practice. Don’t be scared. Just pull the tab straight against the edge of your pocket on the way out. Pull out and away from your body. End up with it open out and to the side.

It’s not gonna cut your hand at all, and won’t fly out of it unless you don’t have a firm grip. If you’re pulling out and away, just drop it if anything goes south, it’ll end up out to the side and slightly behind you on the ground. Come on, you’ve been here since 2002 - can’t believe you’re not a wave master by now.😁
My only concern here is possibly accelerating wear and tear on the knife. Not to mention scaring the crap outta everyone else in the room.

But it definitely has a place in emergency situations though. One handed movement to deploy the knife that doesn’t rely on fine motor—pretty useful.

Back