Anyone else receive knife with scuff marks?

Recently I received a Strider WB. I really LOVE the knife. Question though. I noticed some scuff marks running length wise near the spine. At first I thought I received a used knife, then after looking at some pics I saw that ohter knives come this way too (see below) Is this a normal thing on these knives. What causes it? I don't think it's the kydex sheath because I tried to replicate the marls with the sheath and it didn't leave any marks at all.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1518209&a=11475373&p=40469771

[This message has been edited by Cooper (edited 02-09-2001).]

This should help.

View

[This message has been edited by fq55 (edited 02-09-2001).]

that is the photo I took a while ago ,
when our Taiwan Dealer James Chuang got his first batch striders to show all the knifenutforum members

Thanks for showing the photos

yes the marks cause by Bad Kydex sheath insert

jonny

This is something that we have been working on for a while.
At this point, we have this option; you can either have an awesome sheath and some marks on the knife, or a substandard sheath and no marks. We chose the marks. Remember, we always go practical first.
If scratches on your knife bother you, don't use your sheath. Keep it in your little strider bag.

Talk to you soon

mick

When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic..

What little Strider bag??

[This message has been edited by Cooper (edited 02-09-2001).]

Why not use the stonewash finish to prevent the sheath scratches ?

The Stonewash finish give a lots advantage for the blade surface

Microtech and CRK they all offer this kind of finish.

and the process is quite easy and simple I guess

Just a thought.......

jonny

smile.gif
What is the Strider bag? Do you have any picture of it?
Yeah, different kind of finish has been asked for a long time here cus some people don`t like the scratch on their blades.
Or can you adjust the sheath a lottle bit loose when you are making it?
To me, the scratch on blades is not a big prolem but the current kind of sheath will contact the edge and seems will make it dull more easily.
I think this kind of kydex sheath (for AD)will not make the edge dull that easily cus it doesn't contact the edge: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=122449&a=9534318&p=34334405
Maybe you can try to use this kind of kydex sheath in your cordura sheath, instead of a rolled kydex sheath.

[This message has been edited by james chuang (edited 02-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by james chuang (edited 02-13-2001).]

I don't mind the scratch marks either. I like the character it gives the knife. I didn't realise the sheath would dull the blade though.

The scratches must happen when the knife is first inserted into the sheath. They don't seem to get worse, and I can't seem to make any more of them tring to scratch it with the sheath myself.

[This message has been edited by Cooper (edited 02-11-2001).]

Kydex sheaths when made right will scratch the blade when it is put in,even when the blade is clean. If you are in the field and you put away your blade dirty,sandy,dusty whatever,it will scratch even more. It's the nature of the beast. But, thats what makes it so good for hard use sheaths, waterproof,won't fall apart from getting wet/dry and wet again. Solvents don't for the most part effect it. And it keeps it shape for life. Come out of the woods and wash it out and let it dry and your ready to go again.
I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking the reason the sheath is tight is the snap and strap is secondary for keeping the blade in the sheath, the first is the tight fit on the blade itself from the kydex insert. Don't like scrathes,don't use knife,don't mind scratches,enjoy the small details that go into a great knife and sheath system. It's not all that often that you cane get a good sheath with a good knife, most of the times you have to buy a after market sheath to come up even to a good blade, Strider's done it both for you.

At customer point of view ....who wants purchase a brand new car with a scratch on it ?????

why tight Kydex sheath ? because you can wear the knife upside down without drop the knife when you release the snap and strap

.....must have some trade off

the stone wash finish is good for field use and it's better then the BB finish I think

jMHO

jonny

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=122449&a=9534318&p=34334405&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail

</A>

Looks to me like you still have some scuffing of the flats on that blade.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

A. We don't make cars.
B. We don't like tumbled finishes on TRUE tactical knives. (stonewashed for you buzz word guys)It is still far too reflective.
C. If you are unsatisied with the scratches, send the knife back to us, we will reblast it and you can obtain any carry system you see fit. All this costs nothing but return postage fees for US Priority or Global, insured, restricted delivery.

A knife is a weapon and a tool. The sheath eventually "wears in" and any scratching will stop. The scratches are very shallow and cause no negative side effects to the functionality of the blade.
STRIDER builds weapons for warriors. Warriors do not care how a weapon looks, only that it will effectivley kill their enemy. I have put my STRIDER through more abuse than most of you will ever have a chance to, and it has come out looking the same as when I bought it four years ago.
If you are concerned with how it looks, buy a little display case for it, hang it on your wall, and pretend that you are the type of hard chargin' killer that might actually use one.

OUT

Mr_Joshua!

Would you please be so kind to post a picture of your used (abused) Strider?
I like to see worn knives (tools) quality tools wear in a special way
smile.gif
(somewhat erotic...
wink.gif
)

Thanks!

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"May all your detonations be expected"

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

[This message has been edited by 2Sharp (edited 02-12-2001).]

If you want a nice shiny dress knife, go buy some other knife. If it wouldn't be bad for Strider's business, I think that all you folks that just collect these knives shouldn't be allowed to own them. Come on people, these are user tools. Use the hell out of them, but quit whining about some damn kydex marks that an SOS pad will remove. If you think that it is cool just to play like GI Joe, then good for you! Just shut the hell up when you get a "real tool" that isn't as shiny and fancy as you wanted.

May be I am missing something here, but I don't see a reason why the question about scuffmarks caused such harsh responses from some fellow forumites here?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr_Joshua:</font>
A knife is a weapon and a tool.
Totally agree, except the order, IMHO it's the other way around, a knife is
a tool first and then a weapon, unless otherwise specified.

STRIDER builds weapons for warriors
Strider builds very good knives, some of them I like (MH is a #1 for me), others don't, but I didn't see "warriors only" stamped anywhere on the knife, and I don't see why those fine knives are strictly for "warrior use"?

Warriors do not care how a weapon looks, only that it will effectivley
kill their enemy

So if one cares, he's not a warrior anymore
smile.gif
and the other way around, if
one doesn't care he becomes a warrior, is that the case?

And one more time, knives, especially the combat knives primarily are
intended to be the tools, not the weapons. Not that I claim to be a warrior, but that's
the word out there
wink.gif

I have put my STRIDER through more abuse than most of you will ever have
a chance to

Wouldn't that be great if you'd write us a review of your knife and those trails
smile.gif
Would be a nice contribution to knife society.

and it has come out looking the same as when I bought it four years
ago.

2Sharp - Posting a picture of his knife wouldn't give you anything. As Mr_Joshua says, it does look the same as 4 years ago.
Interesting it is
smile.gif
Doesn't it need at least sharpening?

If you are concerned with how it looks
Is there anything wrong with it?

buy a little display case for it, hang it on your wall
Most collectors do so.

and pretend that you are the type of hard chargin' killer that might actually use one.
Now what does that have to do with anything?
Why do you address all the knife collectors with despise?

According to you everyone who's got a Strider has to be chargin' the enemy with it?
Pardon me, but I think that's not the best idea. For many reasons.

KnifeBomber - with all due respect, but you are wrong on this one just as Mr_Joshua is.

First of all, if you read the messages carefully nobody was complaining,
there was a question if those scuff marks wree caused by the sheath and if that was avoidable. Mick answered that.

I think that all you folks that just collect these knives shouldn't be
allowed to own them

Terrific! Anythign else you have in mind for mere collectors and others who don't exactly match your standarts? Switchblades are already prohibited for civlians, apparently based on the same motivations. Why not to take our guns as well? Using that logic even stamp collectors would be eliminated you know.

If you think that it is cool just to play like GI Joe
I don't really understand this, why you or Mr_Joshua or someone else would
assusme that buying a Strider knife means the buyer is playing GI Joe. Does it ever crossed your mind that that person may simply likes that knife or needs it?
I got my first Strider knife last week, and let me assure you I had no intention to play GI. The only reason I got this knife is that I liked it plus Strider's reputation.

Just shut the hell up when you get a "real tool" that isn't as shiny and
fancy as you wanted.

a) Nobody was complaining, the question was asked, donno why do you guys
need to get aggressive on that...

b)Interesting, what would you say if a programmer would tell you - Shut the
hell up & say thanks because you are allowed to use computer and that soft
with it, as an answer to your comment regarding the software or the comp?

P.S. I am not trying to flame here. However, overall tone & idea "shut up
because you're a collector and not GI" expressed in some messages doesn't do any good here. That's my IMHO.

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

Right you guys, but I forgot to explain more last time:
Actually we just "feel" the contact between the edge and the kydex will make the knife dull easier but we have never tested it.
I dont mind the scratchs on my blades personally and I believe half of my customers don't mind either. But some of them do mind the cutting marks inside the kydex sheath.
I know they use another method to make their IWB sheath or other sheaths for smaller knives and that kind of kydex sheath won't contact the sharpened edge. So we wonder if Strider Knives can adjust or use another way to make their rolled kydex/cordura sheath.
I believe everyone looks forward to seeing their excellent knives come with excellent sheaths.

[This message has been edited by james chuang (edited 02-13-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gator97:
2Sharp - Posting a picture of his knife wouldn't give you anything. As Mr_Joshua says, it does look the same as 4 years ago.
Interesting it is
smile.gif
Doesn't it need at least sharpening?
</font>
Ah! didn't think about that, thanks for pointing it out
smile.gif

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"May all your detonations be expected"

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

In my humble opinion, your opinion that I am wrong, is just that. An opinion. You, sir, would be the one that is wrong in this case for thinking that your opinion is more correct than my opinion. Therefore, you cancel out good argumentative points by assuming you are better than us. No opinion is more or less correct than any other, so the only wrong here is that you consider yourself the penultimate opinionator, I guess. Were you in the debate team, by the way? Nice use of quotes!

------------------
Ryan Renuart
Aerial Gunner
"That Others May Live"

[This message has been edited by KnifeBomber (edited 02-13-2001).]

Back