Anyone else used Eco-Flo Gel Antique?

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
I ordered three different colors of Eco-Flo Gel Antique from Tandy last week and tried it out for the first time today. It's different then the normal stain I'm used to but seems to be working okay.

Who else uses the stuff and how do you apply/use it? Thanks,

Heber

I got some of the Mahogany recently. Just use as directed and it works like a charm.. I much prefer it over the old style antique. :)

I bought some too, and although I'm a complete rookie I thought it " stained" or colored too much. I know its relevant to how much you use but too little And it came out blotchy.

Shawn

Did you seal the leather first? It tends to color deeper on unsealed stuff. The depth of color can be manipulated by your use of an acrylic finish. I use satin sheen because it tends to be more open to accepting the antique, this is based on the older antique but it does seem to apply to the new stuff as well.

If I want a simple high lighter I go for a nice thourough coat of the satin sheen, if I want a deeper overall color I go with a damp sponge to apply the sheen, this waters it down and allows more antique to penetrate the leather.

Now, if I am confusing lots of people I'm sorry, this comes from years of experimenting with the media and I dont have any sicentific results. I just do what works for me in practice. In college I did the same thing and it drove my professors nutty. I developed several techniques in printmaking that I cant produce on paper because its a "seat of the pants" thing.

Might have to see how some of those glazing techniques apply to leather, fun will ensue!!! :p

I am not familiar with the stains as I prefer to go with dyes. I have tried the eco type acrylics, though, and I can not say that I was impressed over the previous type. I believe that I will stay with Fiebing's acrylic for the time being. I assume that sooner or later they, too, will make the change. Sandy

Back