Anyone eperienced with ceramic blade ?

Could I have some comments about ceramic blades ?
Toughness, sharpness, resharpening ... ?

Thanks.

Kurdy

I have no experience with the Mad Dog "tactical" ceramic blades, but a lot of experience with a 4.5" Kyocera fruit knife that has been doing kitchen duty for me for years without needing any resharpening.

They're almost as hard as a diamond, and they just keep on cutting and cutting and cutting. It's a fairly rough edge that you don't want to try shaving with, but it slices vegetables and such very efficiently.

It's not as britle as glass or a china plate, but don't pry or twist with it, or you'll probably have a shorter knife than you started with. They don't make a good boning knife. Mine has survived a couple of drops onto linoleum, but that's tempting fate.

If you ever want it resharpened, ship it back to Kyocera in San Diego, CA, where they have specialized equipment. Or you can do it on a diamond stone if you have lots of time.
------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 23 August 1999).]

I've got the same knife as Jim and it is just great. I use it for skinning and removing excess fat from chicken pieces before cooking.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

What about that Boker that Cabelas sells? I have always wondered if they were worth a darn.

Kurdy :

[ceramic blades]

Toughness, sharpness, resharpening

Toughness is non-existant. Even the best can break just if dropped. Regarding sharpness, they can be sharpened just as any steel blade could to a nice thin edge, but since they are much more fragile then they would chop out excessively at that level. As for resharpening, while they are fairly abrasion resistant, they don't burr which is a huge advantage over steel.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 23 August 1999).]

RE Bokers.
I got to see one of their little tiny ceramic-bladed knives in a store. Hell of a sharp blade. I'll say that again. Hell of a sharp blade. Was it worth the 150$ (overpriced, I know) for a little 2" blade lockback, no.

I was looking pretty seriously at the Infinity, but since it has a liner lock, I somewhat lost interest. I like the looks of the delta a lot, but since it doesn't have a thumb stud or anything, I lost interest in that one too.

My feeling is that if you're going to be really nice to your knife, it's a decent investment. But a knife 'oops' could cost you your whole investment, whereas with a steel blade, your chances for recovery are much better.

My two cents.
chizpuf

During my trips across Nebraska I visited Cabellas many times. Especially their "Bargain Corner". Among other returns the vast majority of knives returned were ceramic blades. The prices were still quite high so I did not buy any. Now I would go for TALONITE or something similar if I wanted something else.
David

Back