Anyone ever been to Costa Rica?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica. Has anybody ever been there and if so, do you have any suggestions on where to stay, what to do, etc.? It seems like there are a lot of options on activities, but they are all very geographically specific. As in, you can go to a rainforest, but if you want to do that you have to go to this part of the country. If you want to go to the beach, then you have to go to that part of the country. etc.

Also, am I allowed to bring some knives and other survival type gear with me? I know I can't carry it on myself, but if I check it all in my baggage, would I have any problems? We're planning on doing some hiking in the rainforest, rafting, horseback riding and other such activities, so it'd be nice to have some of this stuff.

Any information would be very much appreciated. Any ideas on where to search for additional information would also be great.

Thanks in advance!

Whatever you do, DON'T GO TO ISLA NUBLAR OR ISLA SORNA !!!

:D Do check with the Costa Rican authorities themselves for information on what you might bring. If you are really just starting to investigate the possibilities, I recommend reading through a list of search items like these on Ixquick.

If you are into rafting or kayaking, consider your plans made. Some great whitewater in Costa Rica.

I have a friend who goes 1-2 times per year and has a great time. His family has been going for a very long time, so it's home away from home for him. Definitely do a canopy tour of the rainforest.

Back