Anyone ever hear of Bob White?

Last night, I stopped at a local auto parts store, getting some torx drivers to take my knife apart. After getting some help from the store owner, we started talking about knives. Long story short, he said that he has several knives from a man named Bob White. He showed me a little folding knife, and it had red bone handles and what looked to be brass bolsters and liners. It also had a pretty neat button lock on the pivot pin. The only marking on the knife was "White" etched into the blade. The guy said Mr. White made many traditional knives over the years, but he didn't know if he was still living.

I figured this would be as good a place to ask as any.
Has anyone heard of Bob White, or have experience with his knives?

Thanks for looking.

Have a look at this post over at AAPK. Sounds like they may have been SFO's from Queen.

Also, AZCK has a listing for a Bob White (but no images or bio info about the maker.) You may want to write Julie and ask her if she has any info in case it's an actual custom maker as opposed to a production knife commissioned by an individual or dealer.

Thanks, I had already googled him, and didn't see anything.
He etched his name into this knife similar to how Michael Morris does, not a stamp of a quail or bobwhite.

Bob White used to live in Illinois, and attend shows held by the AECA in the Chicago area. I have no clue if he is still alive, but do remember he had a son (I think his name was Bob too), who also made knives. He made fixed blades and folders.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-quot-marked-knife-looking-for-info-and-value

Yep, that's gotta be him. He said that Mr. White's son made those "weird" knives and they sold really well. I think the one in your link is one of his son's knives.
Apparently Mr. White went to big knife shows up in Knoxville for a long time and almost always sold all of his knives.
He must be/have been a really old school knife maker, because I couldn't find any references to his knives online.
He also mentioned that Mr. White had made a couple guns for him, so this is definitely the same guy.
Thanks.

Hi, brand new member here looking for anyone else that may know Bob. Yes, he's still alive; he still makes the occasional knife thought he spends much more time building 1,000 yard rifles or wildcat single-shot "cat control" rifles for locals. He's about 90, give or take a couple; he lost his good friend and supplier Gil Hebard of Gil Hebard Guns in Knoxville IL about a year ago. I suppose he'll just sit down and not get back up from the old nail keg that he has for a seat in his workshop; my kids and I each have knives that he built for us. His son "Butch", also Robert White, makes knives as well; he did a bit of Damascus work in the past but the trip-hammer method simply took too much time. Bob and his wife were big factors in Metallic Silhouette shooting in years past; he made a couple of .50 cal single-shots that were sledgehammers! Wildcats, not .50 BMG! Gotta get back to work now!

I have two Bob White sodbusters and I'm certain they were made by Queen. Everything about the knives are identical to Queen's sodbusters with exception to the etching and stamp, which coincidentally is a Quail.

Bob has built knives for all 3 of my sons and I over the past 27 years; he does much more custom wildcat rifle /cartridge work now, and 1,000 yard guns. Butch, his son, builds knives, uses a slightly different stamp on the blade. Bob is around 88-92 years old, has lost his likely best friend, Gil Hebard of Gil Hebard Guns, Knoxville (google him sometime). He's a great guy, and his wife is a good shot, too; they used to compete together in metallic silhouette.

Last night, I stopped at a local auto parts store, getting some torx drivers to take my knife apart. After getting some help from the store owner, we started talking about knives. Long story short, he said that he has several knives from a man named Bob White. He showed me a little folding knife, and it had red bone handles and what looked to be brass bolsters and liners. It also had a pretty neat button lock on the pivot pin. The only marking on the knife was "White" etched into the blade. The guy said Mr. White made many traditional knives over the years, but he didn't know if he was still living.

Thanks for looking.

I worked with Bob at a local Machine shop, He was a Great tool maker and fun to be around, He was gun smith also And Butch (his Son did Make knives as well) Butch made damascus style and yes they were buites.
Bod made folders and as he called them "Boot Knives" also " Under the table Stock" Switch blades For the big city market. He would go to Chicago and sell everything he took.
As said before he was also a gifted Arms builder. He once made a Bolt action 50 CaL. pistol that you did not want to shoot as if you were loosy goosy with your grip, you might ware the piece in your hair.
Bob was always interesting to go and visit with at his little shop and drink a few a beers with. I once brewed Home brew beer and I would take a few cases and have a great day shooting at targets.:p Bob has passed on now and will be missed.
Hopes this helps.
Smokinporter

Hi guys. First post here. Just to let everyone know - both Bob and his son have passed. They lived in rural Gilson, Illinois and both made amazing knives. Bob passed in a nursing home and his son , Butch, died in an auto accident.
Their personalities and talents are sorely missed by those who knew them!

I just came across a Bob White Queen Made knife. Trying to get my hands on. So I wanted to see who he was and of tended up here. Reason #27 Why it's good to be a member on here...Find almost anything you are looking for.

Thanks for looking.
Yes, I knew Bob and his family personally. He used to work for me as a tool & die maker. I have 5-6 of his handmade knives. They are considered some of my most prize possessions.

Have a look at this post over at AAPK. Sounds like they may have been SFO's from Queen.

Also, AZCK has a listing for a Bob White (but no images or bio info about the maker.) You may want to write Julie and ask her if she has any info in case it's an actual custom maker as opposed to a production knife commissioned by an individual or dealer.
Bob was a custom maker, one of the best. I have a bunch of his knives.

Hi guys. First post here. Just to let everyone know - both Bob and his son have passed. They lived in rural Gilson, Illinois and both made amazing knives. Bob passed in a nursing home and his son , Butch, died in an auto accident.
Their personalities and talents are sorely missed by those who knew them!
I'm really sorry to hear this. Bob used to work for me as a toolmaker. I really loved the guy and his wife was awesome. A great lady.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Bob used to work for me as a toolmaker. I really loved the guy and his wife was awesome. A great lady.

Bob was married to my Grandmother’s sister and we grew up spending time around them as kids. He was a great guy and use to show off his newest knife or these cool .50 cal custom guns he would make to us which to a couple of little boys playing army was about as cool as it got. Unfortunately he had some serious health issues and passed a few years back. His son also made custom pieces but passed in an auto accident as well.

Back