Anyone experience vertical play on an SnG?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rockandrollrabbit, Dec 13, 2010.

1. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit

Apr 13, 2010
    It seems to be a function of the framelock, i.e. if I hold the lock tight in my hand with the knife open, I get no play. The lock is functioning properly as my hand holds closed tighter.

But without holding it, I can "look for" play in the lock-up, by wiggling, and damn if I don't find it. The lock-bar moves a tiny bit and makes little noise, and the blade wiggles almost imperceptibly.

Should I take issue with this? Is this standard behavior for a framelock? When I move my thumb and forefinger back and forth on the jimping, the blade moves ever so slightly (but like I said, not when my hand is gripping the handle tightly.)
    What do you guys think? Should I send it in to Strider?

2. wongKI

wongKI

Jul 9, 2009
    Try opening it with a little more force-that should help.

3. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Yeh, and the touted strider break in period.

4. Midget

Midget

Jun 1, 2002
    i've found that this occurs with every new SNG that i get -- after it has started to develop a significant amount of vertical blade play (after break-in), i send it back to strider. they replace the stop pin with a thicker one, which takes up the slack. this was done to my most recent SNG, which i've been carrying for 4 years since, vertical-play free.

5. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I had that problem with a SMF. I sent it back to Strider and they took care of it.

6. red1965

red1965

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a PT that does this. If I push the lock just a little deeper, it solves the problem. If it bothers you , send it in. I have heard so many different stories about Strider service that its not worth the hassle to send it in for myself.

7. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Try cleaning the lock bar face and the bottom of the blade tang with some q-tip dipped in alcohol. Fixed mine.

8. SIFU1A

SIFU1A

May 12, 2001
    i have had a bit of play on a couple of new SnG's and it always went away after break in, if yours doesnt send it back.