Anyone get the mini horizon d?

Thanks for these TT. Confess I was reading those descriptions through a lens with a bit of wishful thinking installed. I, like Mo2, was hoping for a mini version of the Horizon D with full carbon fiber side. Gather that's not what's coming, now.

I wonder if the few complaints of voids with CF, were largely concentrated on the radiused edges of CF on models like the K1? By going to inlays, where there's no edge radius exposed, problem avoided - mebbe?

Have you seen the bronze and/or blue milled scale versions? Any chance they're going to have the cool color variation as was on the K2 milled bronze?

I wonder if the few complaints of voids with CF, were largely concentrated on the radiused edges of CF on models like the K1? By going to inlays, where there's no edge radius exposed, problem avoided - mebbe?

No, I don't think that's the reason behind the design. I had a K1 with marbled CF and there were a few voids on the flats. Later I got one with regular CF and there were no issues.
I've seen Spydercos where the CF splintered around the lanyard hole but that's a different issue.
Seems to me that Reate sourced some lower quality marbled CF. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Thanks for these TT. Confess I was reading those descriptions through a lens with a bit of wishful thinking installed. I, like Mo2, was hoping for a mini version of the Horizon D with full carbon fiber side. Gather that's not what's coming, now.

Have you seen the bronze and/or blue milled scale versions? Any chance they're going to have the cool color variation as was on the K2 milled bronze?

No full side carbon fiber version unfortunately.

Like AF said above, I don't think that's the reason. They have made all Liong Mah's full side carbon fiber knives with beautiful results - Warrior 1, KUF, Tempest, and the inlaid Lanny (one of my favorite knives) and GSD. I suspect it's probably a cost reduction measure. However, I wish they would put out a full CF side on some of their knives. There's no reason they can't get top grade CF from A&J Composites in WA and have it shipped to their factory like Liong does.

I haven't seen the bronze one yet.

Reactions: Mo2
Any chance they'll make some with Mokuti? Was really hoping for a mokuti Damasteel version.

Crickets, Johnny. Nothing listed from the big dealers or Knifenews.com. Maybe Reate is preloading anticipation for a grand deploy.

The Starboy might be ahead of this one too. Not sure.

Star Boy and Mini Horizon are shipping together. Any day now.

After that their schedule is the new Torrent in December then the Tashi designed Mini Machine in January or February.

Reactions: AF
Star Boy and Mini Horizon are shipping together. Any day now.

After that their schedule is the new Torrent in December then the Tashi designed Mini Machine in January or February.

Awesome. Has the Torrent been updated?

I really love the look, the only thing I'm not sure about is the clip, because it almost looks so shallow you could only really use it with dress pants? Or would it work ok with jeans or pants with thicker material? Would love to hear thoughts from owners. Thanks in advance!

Is the Star Boy smaller than Mini Horizon?

When is Reate going to make a 2.99 inch folder?

Is the Star Boy smaller than Mini Horizon?

When is Reate going to make a 2.99 inch folder?

Yes the Star Boy is smaller than the Mini Horizon. Blade is not by much though, only about 5mm.

2.99 inches? Not heard of them doing one that small. Are you in an "under 3 inch blade County" or just like a small blade?

Comparison shot

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
I really love the look, the only thing I'm not sure about is the clip, because it almost looks so shallow you could only really use it with dress pants? Or would it work ok with jeans or pants with thicker material? Would love to hear thoughts from owners. Thanks in advance!

I just tried it on a new pair of jeans and it is an easy in and out but I couldn't get it to move jumping up and down. So it seems to hold pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Back