Anyone had prob with a LMF firesteel with carry-on an airplane?

two weeks ago carried a light my fire, striker, smith sharpener and fenix flashlight all tethered together on cordage and suspended in a carry on side pocket with carabiners. no one seemed to notice nor care...domestic flight

two weeks ago carried a light my fire, striker, smith sharpener and fenix flashlight all tethered together on cordage and suspended in a carry on side pocket with carabiners. no one seemed to notice nor care...domestic flight

:thumbup:

Ive flown a handfull of times with one in my pocket. Never an issue. If you can carry a lighter and matches, no need to worry about your firesteel getting taken.....However, some of these guys make their own rules. TSA ya know....:jerkit:

i have a hotspark on my house keys and have flown with it multiple times. no questions asked.

just gotta take off the Leatherman micra. :rolleyes:

Ive flown a handfull of times with one in my pocket. Never an issue. If you can carry a lighter and matches, no need to worry about your firesteel getting taken.....However, some of these guys make their own rules. TSA ya know....:jerkit:

Exactly my thinking, but yeah, you never know...

Good stuff, thanks all :thumbup: I think I'll just leave the LMF in the kit and the hotspark on my keychain.

I've flown with my LMF scout before without issue. The last time I got searched they wanted to take apart my candle lantern because there is a spring inside under the candle.

I've never heard of anybody have it confiscated. It shouldn't be an issue.

no problems here. But then My nanostriker doesn't look like much when its hanging on a keychain:

kf60wx.png

exotac-nanostriker-fire-steel.jpg

Off the top of my head, last time I checked the list, firesteels/ferro rods were not verboten. Therefore, regardless of what the badge wearing high school dropout with he wand says, they can't take it from you. When in doubt, take the list because dollars to doughnuts those morons dont know whats on it either.

If you don't assert your rights folks, no one else will.

Well, the problem is it really does come down to the discretion of the TSA agent. Here is the response to an inquiry I made a little while ago:

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.

Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like this into the sterile area of the airport.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

My flight leaves tomorrow, and I'm going to take the firesteels (and the list, of course). If I lose em, oh well. I will still have a lighter and matches.

Thanks rksoon. That letter is an interesting reply. Good luck on your flight. Let us know how you go when you get back.

I've flown multiple times with mine (both a scout and army model in the same pocket of my pack), in addition to the mini mag/ferro rod on my keychain that came with my Izula.

I've been stopped and scanned before because of my Guyot bottle and my space blankets, though they either didn't notice or think to question the Dovo shavette I had in there, too. I took the blade out of it, but how could they know? :confused:

I think if questioned, I'd describe my firesteel as "a flint... you know, like in a lighter" because that's a clear, honest, but nonthreatening explanation.

So I got through with no problem :thumbup:. I had a LMF army firesteel and GoingGear striker in a tin in one of the exterior bottle pockets on my pack (along with a lighter and REI stormproof matches w/ striker), and I had my BSA hotspark w/ striker on my keychain in my pocket. Zipped straight through, no questions :thumbup:

Will do :) Vacationing back home in hawai'i, I'll get some pics up in W&SS when I get back.

I had a LMF confiscated by US TSA last February while enroute to Mexico.
It had previously flown to Europe & the Middle East many times.
I didn't notice til later that there was a 2nd one in the same bag that escaped detection.
Does that fill you with confidence or what?

Last month CAA China liberated the Bic lighter that I had been carrying for many flights.
Didn't have a LMF on that journey...

Well, the problem is it really does come down to the discretion of the TSA agent. Here is the response to an inquiry I made a little while ago:

My flight leaves tomorrow, and I'm going to take the firesteels (and the list, of course). If I lose em, oh well. I will still have a lighter and matches.

Yeah, the "agents" make it up as they go along. Airport security is an absolute joke. No keychain SAKs, but a 6" screwdriver? O.K.!

Back