Anyone have reviews and pictures of these???

Was looking through the Link Library tonite and came across some HI knives that I've never seen before in my year of drooling over HI products that really caught my eye!!! The R-6 Sarge and the R-4. What's the story behind these two knives? How did these designs come to be made by the Kami's? Do either of these ever come up in DOTD's or do they have to be special ordered? And Finally If anyone has one or both of them and wants to post a review with some pics that would be amazing. :) -Will

I don't remember what the R-4 looks like, but I have a much used and abused R-6 that I love. It's very much like a very beefy SARGE knife. I know a lot more about the history of the Sarge:

Basically, the Himalayan Imports SARGE is a small belt knife designed and crafted by our good friend Kismet. He made it out an old file, a spoon handle for the guard and some antler for the handle. It was dubbed the SARGE in honor of our forum friend and absolute good guy Silver Falcon (not spelled that way, but the exact name escapes me) who was a seasoned military man who went by Sarge to all of us lucky enough to call him our friend. Sarge is a Renaissance kind of guy when it comes to outdoors stuff. Kismet's SARGE seemed to not only be the kind of knife Sarge would use but would also be the type he would make for himself:) It's a handy enough design that even Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge makes his own version of the KPH:)

Yangdu had the kamis crank out some of their versions of Kismet's knife (which is also known as the Kismet Practical Hunter because even though HE won't take credit for it, it really is a fantastic design;)). Several small runs of the HI SARGE popped up for a couple of years. Not too long after that, the R series started to show up. There were a wide variety of designs in that family of blades. You'd see some that looked almost Finnish in design, some that looked like a Schrade Sharp Finger, and even one that looked like a Klingon's skinning knife. One of the more popular ones was the r-6. The R-6 took the basic blade shape of the SARGE/KPH and married it to a full tang chiruwa handle. It resulted in a knife that probably wasn't as graceful or Elmer Keith-y as the KPH, but it IS a stout as hell pry bar.

Very neat knife indeed:)

Unfortunately I also am not familiar with the R4, but from this review, it looks like a groovy little fixed blade with a neat curved handle: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...iew-and-Pictures-(pic-heavy)?highlight=review

I was fortunate to acquire one Sarge knife from Svashtar aka Norm for a brief period of time, made by no other than the Royal Kami himself, and with a beautiful antler handle. It really is a fantastic belt knife which I really did like, though I did later hand it over to Bruce sometime before he passed away. I also currently have one of the Fiddleback KPH's, which is a very worthy descendant. I would be all for a run of Sarge knives if there was enough interest.

The R-6 is exactly what Jake says it is, a stout as hell pry bar. Not quite my cup of tea, but if you're in a pinch and need that kind of knife, there's no doubt it is up to the task.

That's the review I stumbled upon last night that caused me to fall in love with the R4. That curvy finger grooved handle looks mighty comfy! I had no idea there was a whole series of R knives, I also like the R10. These must have been DOTD's at some point right? I've been looking for smaller knives from HI and these are just the ticket. What is the usual price tag on these R series knives?

Heres a couple;

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/865480-H-i-Sarge?highlight=sarge+knife
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/805764-Antler-handled-R-6?highlight=sarge+knife

And the entire line of "R" knives here:
The Missing Pages.pdf

Not that i don't want to help, but i don't have the patience or time to do vast searches for pics.
You may search yourself by using the "search forum" function located just under the page numbers at the top of the forum or you may search the entirety of bladeforums by using this:
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=011197018607028182644:qfobr3dlcra

Ah ha! thank you for the missing pages PDF Karda. I never did find the whole line. That should be a sticky...or on the HI website. And Steely, I forgot to Thank You for your post as it was very informative and was exactly what I was looking for when I said "the story behind these knives". for the R6 at least. I didn't mean for anyone to waist their time searching for HI pics that I could and have already searched for myself. (although thanks again Karda) I was hoping to find some owners of these fine two knives who would be gracious enough to post some new and never before seen pics for all of us to enjoy. :)

Back