Anyone heard of Aus10Co steel?

KenHash

Gold Member
This Aus10Co steel is mentioned on a few Russian sites. But I find nothing on the Aichi Steel site, the maker of Aus6, Aus8, Aus10, etc.
Perhaps someone knowledgable about Russian knives may know? Who makes it, composition etc. Thanks.
M2RHjA.jpg

Last edited:
This Aus10Cos steel is mentioned on a few Russian sites. But I find nothing on the Aichi Steel site, the maker of Aus6, Aus8, Aus10, etc.
Perhaps someone knowledgable about Russian knives may know? Who makes it, composition etc. Thanks.
Are you sure it's Cos in Russian ?

Are you sure it's Cos in Russian ?
Sorry,iIt's actually "Aus10co".

Also found a reference on that Ali site.
But nowhere else.

OK, never mind, riddle solved. It seems,

Aus10co is a Chinese steel. No idea why they chose the Aus designation,
Composition listed as:

Chemical composition of steel AUS-10Co​

• Carbon 0,97%
  • Silicon 0,33%
  • Manganese 0,68%
  • Phosphorus 0,029%
  • Sulfur 0.002%
  • Chrome 13,8%
  • Molybdenum 0,22%
  • Vanadium 0,11%
  • Cobalt 0,23%

OK, never mind, riddle solved. It seems,

Aus10co is a Chinese steel. No idea why they chose the Aus designation,
Composition listed as:

Chemical composition of steel AUS-10Co​

• Carbon 0,97%
  • Silicon 0,33%
  • Manganese 0,68%
  • Phosphorus 0,029%
  • Sulfur 0.002%
  • Chrome 13,8%
  • Molybdenum 0,22%
  • Vanadium 0,11%
  • Cobalt 0,23%
Simply
because chinese AUS10co is superior to Japanese AUS10

Simply
because chinese AUS10co is superior to Japanese AUS10
Don't know anything about superiority or inferiority. Especially a steel type that most people have never even heard of.
But from the prices I'm seeing on Kyzlar knives using this Aus10co steel, I don't get the impression that it is an expensive steel. And most "superior" steels tend to be more expensive. Still mysterious as to why a Chinese company would name it like a known series.

Don't know anything about superiority or inferiority. Especially a steel type that most people have never even heard of.
But from the prices I'm seeing on Kyzlar knives using this Aus10co steel, I don't get the impression that it is an expensive steel. And most "superior" steels tend to be more expensive. Still mysterious as to why a Chinese company would name it like a known series.
Is it really mysterious why they would do that?

That amount of cobalt could be explained by the use of recycled steel and might not even be intentional. When the steel was shipped someone might have looked at the composition test results provided and decided to make it seem more special than it really is for marketing purposes. I'd have to look at a few other batch'es test results of Aus 10 to compare. I'm not sure how advantageous that amount of cobalt would be to that steel. I have seen steel that made specs as one steel which it was sold as have extra stuff in it from recycling . Copper is a common example of elements in steel using recycled steel and they try to keep it at low levels.

That amount of cobalt could be explained by the use of recycled steel and might not even be intentional. When the steel was shipped someone might have looked at the composition test results provided and decided to make it seem more special than it really is for marketing purposes. I'd have to look at a few other batch'es test results of Aus 10 to compare. I'm not sure how advantageous that amount of cobalt would be to that steel. I have seen steel that made specs as one steel which it was sold as have extra stuff in it from recycling . Copper is a common example of elements in steel using recycled steel and they try to keep it at low levels.

You may well be right. Zknives asked me to see if there's any info on the Aichi Steel site and I had to tell them no.
I guess we'll see if anything further comes out.

Chemical composition comparison​

AUS-10Co (Steel Import Co. China) Aus10 (Aichi Steel, Japan)​

• Carbon 0,97% Carbon 0.95-1.10%
  • Silicon 0,33% Silicon 1.00%
  • Manganese 0,68% Manganese 0.50%
  • Phosphorus 0,029% Phosphorus 0.04%
  • Sulfur 0.002% Sulfer 0.03%
  • Chrome 13,8% Chrome 13.00-14.50%
  • Molybdenum 0,22% Molybdenum 0.10-0.31%
  • Vanadium 0,11% Vanadium 0.10-0.27%
  • Cobalt 0,23% Nickel 0.49%

You may well be right. Zknives asked me to see if there's any info on the Aichi Steel site and I had to tell them no.
I guess we'll see if anything further comes out.
It looks like regular Aus 10 which normally includes the nickel which is standard across the Aus line. I note the elements are given a high and a low spread which is normal on steel specs for that steel type but the cobalt and nickel are just given one number which is what you get with the material sheets which have the as tested results for that batch . The Steel Import company of China might be just trying to show a difference in their products by including cobalt while hoping people think that amount of cobalt makes it special. I'm pretty sure it doesn't though.

Good luck finding out the truth Ken. These things can be deliberately obfuscated when they aren't being just plain lied about. :)

Back