Anyone interested in a chef's knife "kit" trade?

Here's the deal: for a long time I've used almost nothing in the kitchen other than a Spyderco Santoku. Nice knife, but I want a real chef's knife. Any of you guys interested in a trade? As a part-timer I can obviously deal with just a heat-treated blade and slap my own scales on the puppy, do some of the finish work, etc. I have some production knives or could trade a custom for it. I don't know, just a thought! Thanks in advance! On a side note, if you could care less about hooking me up with a good kitchen knife, can you recommend a production knife for me to look at? BTW, I'm looking for probably an 8-10" blade, closer to 10", I think.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm confused as to what you're asking for......:confused:

Are you looking for a large chef's knife?

If you think you can go for one made of 1/16" thick L6, I'll be happy to work something out with you.

Sorry, it isn't very clear, is it!? I'm looking for a chef's knife or just the heat treated/partially finished blade that I can finish, handle, etc. I'd trade whatever for it. 1/16" is really thin for what I need. I'm looking for a traditional type of chef's knife, like 3/16" stock, probably? A 10" 1/16" blade would be a great sushi knife, though!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
3/16".....yikes! :eek:

some folks gripe about my 1/8" kitchen blades.....too beefy and not slicey enough....maybe now I'll threaten them with 3/16"....HA!

FWIW, my 10" chef's knife is right around 0.08"-0.09"

Sorry, Steve.....no blanks here....

Anybody else?

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Chiro,I've got a batch of chef blades getting ready for the to send to D"Alton Holder for HT.I would be glad to work out a swap.I use 3/16 ATS-34.Small chef is 7" and large is 10".Send me an e-mail and we'll figure this out.I also make sushi knives and Japanese chefs knives. - Stacy

Hey Chiro---I live pretty darn close to you, and if you want one that bad, I'll help you make it, just come on down.

Jason, yes, with the exception of 3 limitations:
1) I do 95% of my work with hand tools. It takes me hours and hours of hard physical work to grind the bevels on a 3-4" blade in 1" wide 1/8" stock, so you do the math.

2) I don't have the stock available and would have to order it.

3) I can't HT anything over 4-5" and then only 1084, 1095, O1, etc.

I wouldn't mind a little christmas present to myself ,and I've got a few different handle ideas i want to try out. Pop me an IM.
TIA
Jorge