Anyone interested in a fairly cheap pipe hawk made from good steel?

Brody-
The only pipe hawks on that page sure look like they were cast by the same foundry that does Davis' wares. ??

As I mentioned earlier, I just haven't had time to work on my hawk, or really any of the many projects I have started out in the shop. So, I haven't gotten serious about finding a heat treater yet. Never heard back from Mr. Oates; I (or anyone that wants to of course) should probably just call him one of these days. I still may end up trying to heat treat it myself. Just rig up a heat source to get the thing hot enough, check it to see when a magnet dangling from a wire is no longer attracted to the hot steel, go just a little more, and quench in oil and temper with a torch.

ReturnOftheJD,

I'd just check with a local knifemaker, they should be able to do it easily.

If you're in Southern CA -- I found a nice guy in the Makers Forum, only a few minutes from me. I didn't ask him how much he would charge - but it should be cheap.

probably a dumb question but do you drill a hole in the wood below the pipe bowl after fitting it for smoke flow or how does that all work? thinking about trying one after christmas.

probably a dumb question but do you drill a hole in the wood below the pipe bowl after fitting it for smoke flow or how does that all work?

Yeah, once you get the head fitted to the handle, you just line it up and drill through the bottom of the bowl, to the pre-drilled hole in the handle.

Like others, I received mine in a timely fashion and I'm pretty pleased with the quality. There is a slight wave in the edge, I suspect that just happens sometimes with castings that thin. Should be easily hammered out. The detail on the decorative parts is really very good. I bought the whole kit (handle, book, pewter, nickel inlays), I highly recommend it.

I'll order from them again, no problem. Glad to see Tim added the 6150 "line", I hope he does good business with it. I told him too, that he should offer them, I think a lot of folks will be interested.

I just noticed a posting from Bladite on another thread in which he mentioned that "Ragnar" of www.ragweedforge.com has been known to heat-treat tomahawk heads. As that gentleman is known for trustworthiness and great pricing on his other stuff, those of you who are at a loss for where to send a hawk head for heat-treating might drop him a line. Just a thought.

I'm going to contact Ragnar right now about the HT. I think this would be best since he has experience with hawks not just knives...

I'll let y'all know what he says.

thinking about buying one and properly heat treating it was a concern of mine, please post about what he says. If Ragnar's heat treating is 1/2 as good as his sharpening skills its gotta be worthwhile.

I'm not too worried about the heat treat myself, this one will most likely be for display and an occasional "smoke" with friends, peacefully, mind you.

New guy here but why the heck aren't they heat treated when you buy them? Like buying a new truck with no wheels not?

Back