Anyone know about Neoxyn or why it disappeared

Anyone know about Neoxyn or why it disappeared from the market. Found an old bottle in the bathroom closet and it's about gone. If you don't know what it is/was, it was the best thing that I had ever found to stop the rash/itch of poison ivy, oak etc. It was sold by William H. Rorer INC. It seems that the parent company was sued over a patent infringement case by another larger drug company and lost (different product). Thus stuff is/was great. It really works - lightning quick. Maybe, it worked too good.

Thanks,

sarge :cool:

Read the ingredients, and try to match them up at the drug store. If you have an old fashioned privately owned pharmacy in your area, go there and ask the druggist about it. They usually know a good alternative, or maybe they can order it for you if it's still available. Bring the old container if you can.
A lot of these products that work well get stomped by their competition. Example was Quelidrine, an excellent cough medicine. It had a small amount of ipecac in it (usually used to cause vomiting) that in a small dose really helped clear up phlegm and stuffy chests. I haven't seen it in years. I always used it and recommended it when I worked in the pharmacy.
Good luck!

Never heard of Neoxyn, but to stop itch I like Martin's Burnaway Plus.

Where do you buy it? I didn't see any order information on their page. Following a website's recommendation, I looked for it in pharmacies and a medical supply store and got blank looks. Nobody had even heard of it. Very frustrating.

If click on the page I linked and scroll to the bottom, you'll find a button to order. They don't do online transactions, so you'll have to mail order the ole' fashioned way. I originally found the recommendation on http://www.equipped.org . I've used it on bug bites, sunburns, and rashes and it really does work.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, you should use Internet Explorer to view the George Townsend webpage.

Anyone know about Neoxyn or why it disappeared from the market. Found an old bottle in the bathroom closet and it's about gone. If you don't know what it is/was, it was the best thing that I had ever found to stop the rash/itch of poison ivy, oak etc. It was sold by William H. Rorer INC. It seems that the parent company was sued over a patent infringement case by another larger drug company and lost (different product). Thus stuff is/was great. It really works - lightning quick. Maybe, it worked too good.

Thanks,

sarge :cool:

Word I got from the company in 1982 was that Neoxyn was discontinued "for a variety of reasons" in 1979 and stocks were long-gone by 1982. In a personal conversation, it seemed that one woman reportedly had an adverse reaction to it and sued the company. Since it was a such a small part of their business, they decided to drop it rather than risk any more litigation. It was a shame because it was very useful to me, too. It came with some wooden popsicle sticks and Q-tips. You soaked the affected area using the Q-tip, soaked the popsicle stick in the solution, then scratched the hell out of the itchy poison ivy blisters until they all popped. Soaking again with a fresh Q-tip (so as not to contaminate the bottle), the hydrogen peroxide (nearly 10%; store solutions are 3%; industrial full strength is 35%) in the mixture caused the open skin to foam up. It felt great and, as the skin scabbed over, you were on the way to complete recovery without anymore spreading or itching.

Try jewel weed for poison ivy. If there is ivy around there is usually jewel weed also.--KV

Back