Anyone know anything about insulation in boots? 200g of THINSULATE Vs 600g

I know people up north think that we dont have winter down here, and we dont,,,,,,,,,,, compared to yall. But we aint used to that stuff, and a 15deg day aint no tater down here especially with our high humidity. .
Also, its not that it gets so cold here, but I work outside a lot, and can be out there for as long as 12hrs.

Danner is about to replace a pair of boots for me, and im debating on how much insulation would be to much.
I have 2 other pair of Danners with 200g of insulation in them. Which does not seem to be to much for the warmer months, and usually suffices in the colder (Louisiana winter) months.

I am looking at the Ft Lewis model. However, one model has 200g of insulation, whereas the other model has a ANSI rated composite toe, which I like, BUT, the only way that model comes is with 600g of insulation.

Id really like to get the model with the ANSI rated toe, but...
Im wondering if the 600g will be to hot in the moderate winter (40deg) Id like to be able to wear them in warmer months, if need be, without my feet sweating like crazy.
So, how much difference (beside the obvious 3x) is there between 200g, and 600g of Thinsulate??

Im in a 70deg office right now with my 200g Rain Forests on, and they are quite comfortable, not to hot. Its 22deg outside, and if I were working outisde today, It would be more than tollerable, but after 8hrs out there, they would be a little chilly.
I wouldnt HAVE to wear the 600g ones, as I have other boots, but I dont want them roasting me in the moderate months.

They need to be pretty versitile, my job changes by the minute. One min, im in an office, the next, ill be outside working with the aircraft, or driving a truck, or working on a deck.

Im not trying to get them to pull double duty between cool, and cold days.

What im asking is, with Louisiana winters being what they are, (cold days average from the high teens-mid 30s,) would they be more than I EVER need in Louisiana?

Last edited:
I dont know about the 600 grain boots. Im in missouri and I wear 200 grain Irish setters in spring , fall ,and winter . For short hikes in the winter they are plenty warm, with a pair of wool socks.

I have no experience with Danner boots other then their reputation for being well made good boots.
The only thing to consider with the ANSI toe(I assume you are referring to a steel toe) is that it does not warm up like a regular boot the steel stays cold so if that is the way you want to go then a warmer, read more insulation, is a good safe bet.
I hope that was helpful

Craig

I have no experience with Danner boots other then their reputation for being well made good boots.
The only thing to consider with the ANSI toe(I assume you are referring to a steel toe) is that it does not warm up like a regular boot the steel stays cold so if that is the way you want to go then a warmer, read more insulation, is a good safe bet.
I hope that was helpful

Craig

Its not steel, but meets the same impact requirements as any capped toe boot.

Basically, they were made for airports so they would not set off metal detectors. (I work at the airport is why the toe appeals to me)

But yes, I have been wearing ST boots for a while now, and if not made well, they will FREEZE your piggies off in the winter.

I'm guessing here based on my experience with hunting boots.
If I were going to be stalk hunting (walking a lot), I'd go with the 200 gr. Otherwise my feet would be sweating all the time.
If I were going to be stand hunting (sitting a lot), I'd go with the 600 gr. Otherwise my feet would be cold all the time.

I think those 600 gr. would not translate well into an office environment, especially in Louisiana.

You might try the 200 gram boots with (a) a good poly liner to wick away sweat, covered by (b) a quality wool sock.

I wear all leather Danners with 400g rating. When on the move, such as bird hunting, I can handle temps down to what you will encounter. However, if I'm stalk hunting in a blind, 400g leaves me with cold feet down in the 20's. I do it a lot, but just not optimum. The key is whether you will be moving or not in those 12 hours outside. The 600g will feel a bit bulkier too.

bladz, how do you stalk hunt in a blind? Do you mean stationary hunting (what I was calling stand hunting)?

Totally agreed that you need more insulation when you're just sitting. But sweating is not good either--one reason I like the poly liners under my socks. When I stand hunt, I pack in my coveralls with my stand. If I wear them in, I get to sweating, and even with poly underwear, the sweat makes it harder to keep warm once you settle in.

I've used 200 gr boots for active hunting in snowy Montana Novembers. For sitting still in such weather, I prefer some 800 gr Meindls. I'll bet the 200 gr. would be adequate for your area with appropriate socks.

DancesWithknives

I wear Super Rain Forests with 200g up here in Montana. I would find 600g too much for office work or warmer temperatures.

I have a pair of redhead 1000g boots that I wear hiking. I just got them in the fall and only wear wool socks with them. They are very warm. My socks are usually sweaty by the end of the day but thats the same as my non insulated work boots that I wear wool socks with year round. My feet are never cold when I hike. I would go the highest insulation you can for winter and get a non insulation for summer.

I did some training for Danner and they gave me an extensive tour of their factory. This was when they were family owned before the merge. Anyway, I learned a great deal and have adjusted my boots around what I've learned.

For summer I wear their uninsulated boots. The 200g is designed as a compromised insulation meaning nothing wrong with the integrity of the insulation but rather it is designed for the person who only wants one pair of boots for both summer and winter. It is designed as the one weight boot for all year. For those who generally have warm feet it will be fine for winter but hot in the summer. For those with cold feet it is probably fine for summer and a tad cool in the winter. That is the idea behind the 200g.

The 400 is much better as a true all around winter/cold weather boot. I wear 400 all winter.

I don't own a 600 but do own a 1000g Danner for high Cascade hunting. I can tell you I had to go up one full boot size because the added insulation does take up interior space. The 1000 is a lot of insulation and my feet sweat like crazy unless it is extremely cool. Myself I find the 400 is ideal for 50 to 20 degrees no problem. I bought a boot once size wider and half a size longer so I can wear thicker or thinner soaks without a great deal of discomfort.

CAVEAT...try before you buy because the insulation will affect fit.

I agree with Guyon. For slow work or sedentary activity in winter the 600 gram boots would be best. If you are hiking, your feet would be much too warm and the 200 gram boots would be better.

I have owned and wore out Danners with both weights. I found that on the coldest days (in and around Missouri) the 600 were slightly better. At that time I was wearing black Ft Lewis boots and working a lot of rail and truck missions, so I would spend all day on a hardstand.

But, come summer I wouldn't wear them at all; they got too hot.

Currently I have three pair of Arcadia's with the light insulation. They have served me well (since the black boots are no more) to include two deployments. Even in the snow my feet have been warm. (Although the snow has been rarely more than a couple inches).

As for myself,I do not like any if the boots are gore tex.I had a pair once with 800 Gram and gore tex.No matter how cold it was when wearing them they burnt my feet up.Last time I wore them was a fishing trip,temp was around 15 and windy.I ended up unlacing them to let my feet dry some from the sweat.
Best pair I have found for myself is Cabelas trail lite hikers in all leather.

Here in upper Michigan, it's fairly cold and I find th 600's too be too warm for anything shy of ice fishing in sub-zero weather. Even at -20F, the 200's keep my feet toasty warm when active.

The secret to warm feet is dry feet, that is what felt liners are for, (absorbs moisture.) Try Canadian Sorals with felt liners, or cheap snow machine riders boots (felt liners.) Would work great for a blind or still hunting.

Back