Anyone know what coating is on CRKT Hawks?

19-3ben

Gold Member
A while back, when there was a "too good to pass up" deal, i grabbed a CRKT Woods Kangee. I want to strip off the cheesy silvery coating from the head and do a proper patina.

Left the head sitting in Citristrip all day today and nothing... nada.. zip... zilch. Coating is still there. Any idea what it is and tips on removing?

Not sure what the coating is but I'm sure your best bet for removal will be to sand it off.

Based on pictures, I believe this is just the finish of the steel which appears to have been casted.

Called CRKT. There is definitely a coating.

The person who would know best is out of office, so I am awaiting a return call. Customer Service as well as the Warrantee departments don't know.

When I get an answer, I'll update the thread.

Update:
CRKT hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I tried KleenStrip paint brush cleaner on it, and either the fumes are getting to me, or it seems to be working. I was able to get the dull bare metal with KeelStrip on some steel wool.

It's soaking now. I'll let it go for another 3 hours or so and update with my results. Hoping to remove this chemically and keep sanding to a minimum. Trying to work smarter, not harder.

Update:
CRKT hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I tried KleenStrip paint brush cleaner on it, and either the fumes are getting to me, or it seems to be working. I was able to get the dull bare metal with KeelStrip on some steel wool.

It's soaking now. I'll let it go for another 3 hours or so and update with my results. Hoping to remove this chemically and keep sanding to a minimum. Trying to work smarter, not harder.
Well I'll be damned, it really looked to me like a pure cast steel finish.
Definitely smarter to let chemicals do the work on this one, waiting to see your end results.

Looks like a clear powder coat on mine. I powder coat everyday at work. It’s a bear to media blast for removal. Paint strippers work the best.

Back