ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS A DECENT KNIFE SHARPNER?

I was checking out the KME sharpener but it is not cheap. It seems that it will put an even angle on both sides and that is what I'm looking for. I am looking for a sharpener to put an exact angle on both sides of the blade. I am hesitant to put out that amount of money and find out I don't care for it. I had a few knives sent to Buck for the spa treatment and one was a full damascus blade and they took nearly 1/8 of material off just sharpening.

Last edited:
I own and use the following sharpeners:

Lansky diamond system.
Spyderco Sharpmaker.
Buck Tri-Stone sharpener
Wicked edge sharpening systems
Various whet stones

After several decades of use I find that I go to the Sharpmaker 99% of the time. I keep it set up on the kitchen counter and it does a great job touching up my kitchen cutlery and my EDC blades. Normally just a few swipes and I’m good to go. Now bear in mind I tend to keep my blades sharp and seldom do I work one to the point that it’s actually dull.

When I do have a blade that has gotten dull, taken some edge damage or perhaps I’ve decided it need reprofilied I use the Wicked Edge or perhaps the Lansky.

if I had to narrow it down to just one system I’d go with the Sharpmaker though I’d add a set of the Diamond sticks and the ultra fine stones. If you strop you could forgo the UF stones though I fond it’s easier to just stick in the UF stones than get out my strops and compounds. HTH.

I am like Badhammer, I think I have tried them all. My friend David Martin will only vote for a nice large bench stone(s) in several grits and types. And that is what I started with and could do well enough for my Scout knives. I have a worksharp and haven't used it in years. I kept gouging the blade lip at the bolster. I did better when took the guides off and just used the belts out in the open. I bought some of the polishing belts and could see myself in the blade angle. But I must confess, I seldom sharpen or repair really bad edges. I have enough carry knives for two people so I just use a 4 rod crock stick set-up to keep my 303's and small Vantages shaving hair. I have a couple of sharp hunting knives but am not sure I will ever get to draw blood from a deer or elk again. For birds a good shears and a small pocket sized knife is all I need. I will say to David that using a crock stick well takes some skill also.

To answer Joe, too much.

I was checking out the KME sharpener but it is not cheap. It seems that it will put an even angle on both sides and that is what I'm looking for. I am looking for a sharpener to put an exact angle on both sides of the blade. I am hesitant to put out that amount of money and find out I don't care for it. I had a few knives sent to Buck for the spa treatment and one was a full damascus blade and they took nearly 1/8 of material off just sharpening.

If you want a guided system that is cheap. Go to amazon and search for fixed angle sharpener kit. You will find edge pro apex style systems, sold under several different brand names, ranging in price from $25 to $50. I guess you could use the stones that come with it; but I would go to chefs knives to go, and buy his diamond plates for edge pro in 140, 400, and 1000 grit. Because it is an edge pro style system, there are many stone options available. The angle is adjustable for around 10° per side to over 40° per side.

O.B.

view

I love these. Coarse side and a smooth side. It pulls apart and stores in the handle.

The large handle keeps your hand safe from getting sliced.

Last edited:
Badhammer Badhammer what do you estimate that you have invested in knife sharpening systems?
No idea really. All were bought years if not decades ago. I’m pretty sure the Wicked Edge is much, much more expensive than when I bought mine which is the base unit they sold at that time. Wild guess I’d say $400 or there about. Might be quite a bit more if I bought them all today.

I prefer the DMT diamond stones myself I've had a set of the 2x6 for IDK 25 years and they are still going strong. Only thing about stones is there is more skill involved and that takes time and practice to become proficient.

I typically use a Lansky Turnbox and it does a stellar job. I wanted to get the Sharpmaker, but I would have had to buy it online and I hate to use a credit card if I can avoid it. The TB was less than 1/2 price of the SM anyway, and works in a similar fashion. I use it on my folders to keep them in sharp condition, along with a homemade strop made out of a belt and paint stir stick.

However, I also picked up an original WSKTS (on sale and at least half the price of the KO edition) to sharpen my dollar store kitchen knives and it really gets them sharp and I can do a dozen in minutes rather than hours. I sacrificed a knife to get the hang of it and now do a fairly decent job. It takes time and religiously following the instructions and I haven't lost a knife yet.

I will say though that the guides are definitely a hindrance, so I just free-hand on the WSKTS and I have gotten pretty good at it. I would ALMOST use it to sharpen my more dear knives if I had to.;)

Joe, if hand & eye coordination is a challenge then go with a guided system, spend the money and enjoy it.
The most economical is sharpening w/ hand stones. Norton's IB-8 stone, a coarse / fine cryostolon can be delivered to your door for 35$ and will last a life time. But you'll have a learning curve. Good luck, DM

Joe, if hand & eye coordination is a challenge then go with a guided system, spend the money and enjoy it.
The most economical is sharpening w/ hand stones. Norton's IB-8 stone, a coarse / fine cryostolon can be delivered to your door for 35$ and will last a life time. But you'll have a learning curve. Good luck, DM
that Norton comes pre oiled doesnt it, Sir? in other words one can use it dry, i mean, without adding oil to it? it can handle s30v and other more wear resistant steels?

I do woodworking as a hobby other than collecting knives and when would workers need to sharpen planes for for setting their wood or other things many many of them use wet dry find auto sandpaper on plate glass that way they constantly have fresh abrasive they control the grid grit
and there are little rollers that you can attach a knife to that a whole the angel but I found just using my finger on the glass and keeping the edge on the sandpaper I can get it sharp enough to sliced tomato and read the paper through it ...

I own a Ken Onion Worksharp but it takes off a lot of metal, which is a downside on using belt sharpeners. Most of my pocket knives get sharpened on an Arkansas stone covered in light mineral oil. Then polished on a leather strop. It's hand work and can be a little more time consuming, but if you really like knives you'll find that sharpening the old school way relaxes your mind. I can do this for hours and never get bored.

Last edited:
has anyone tried the Buck diamond benchstones? I'm tempted to try them out. prefer a bit coarser version though than the 325 grit.

Last edited:
Back