Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bouddha0357, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HawkPilotUSA

HawkPilotUSA

Oct 7, 2013
    I don’t know what knives they decided to make in China, not in my lane as friend. I can state that the prototype SERE 2000 and Mini SERE flippers were manufactured in China..so I would assume with a defree of deductive logic- that they are going to be made in China. If I find later that I’m wrong, I will post an update. Side by side they absolutely rivaled the Japanese models. I was told the price points are going to be very reasonable.

2. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

Were they pretty much exact copies? Also were the thumb studs the same style?

What was the blade steel?

Thanks.

3. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Thanks for saving me the trouble. That’s pretty much exactly what I was going to ask. Depending on the steel and price, I’ll most likely try one.

If they use a bunk steel I’ll be sorely disappointed and I won’t be buying one. No point. The VG-10 in the Sere 2K I have is just fine with me, so I’m hoping they use that or better.

Pilsner and jeepin like this.
  4. jeepin

Jul 20, 2003

I love the Sere 2000 thumb studs. They are really unique.

jfk1110 and AntDog like this.
  5. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I do too. I always “dehorn” the one facing my right thumb but leave the other side alone. I think they look super cool.

I lost my original one long ago and had to write to Al Mar for a replacement. It took a few months and a few times bugging them with emails but they did send one.

jfk1110 likes this.
  6. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I'm so sad reading all of this. Al Mar was an iconic name when I was 15 in the 90's, the SERE was my Grail (along with Buck 110). Back then I didn't have the money, or even access to them in Europe. Now that I could get one, they are not what I want anymore.

7. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    There are still some Japanese SERE’s around. I got one after reading this thread, thanks to @AntDog and a few others. ;)

Gotta say, it isn’t just a ‘tactical’ folder, although I can see it would excel as a fighting knife. I’ve been really enjoying just using it! And there ain’t nothing wrong with Seki VG10. :)

Signed,

The Enabler. :D

EDIT: @FullMetalJackass I live in the UK, which is still in the EU for another few weeks, and the price very, very steep. However, as an enthusiast and collector, the SERE 2000 is an iconic knife. I have no regrets and lots of happiness having bit the bullet and bought it. It’s a knife for life.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    jfk1110 and AntDog like this.
  8. jeepin

Jul 20, 2003
    Any updates on these?

9. bouddha0357

bouddha0357

Jan 23, 2013
    If you go on Bladeshow's website and look at their exhibitor's list (link provided below) you will see that Al Mar is listed as "Al Mar Knives Edge Technology Engineering"

Maybe we will see their new productions then :)

https://bladeshow.com/exhibitor_list/

Hackenslash likes this.
  10. jeepin

Jul 20, 2003

Cool. Thank you for the info.

11. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Yes, thanks for this!

12. KJKeyserSoze

KJKeyserSoze

Jun 16, 2019
    We’re at the end of 2019. I guess the new Al Mar wants to get their knives right and not disappoint and not release anything new in their 40th year. Will wait while also try to score me an ultralight and a mini sere from Japan for now

13. 1234

1234 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 13, 2005
  14. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    jux t and 1234 like this.
  15. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    Five models? And, with the arguable exception of the entirely revamped Quicksilver, not a new design among them!

This really saddens me. I pulled a photo off of the Internet just to contrast what is with what used to be.

[​IMG]

The knives in this picture don't even represent a tenth of the number of models AMK offered over the years. I believe Al Mar would be embarrassed by what has become of his company.

-Steve

16. KJKeyserSoze

KJKeyserSoze

Jun 16, 2019
  17. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Nothing made in China is worth even touching IMO!

blanex1 and mdrgn79 like this.
  18. Forcite

Forcite

Aug 27, 2014
    1234 likes this.
  19. jeepin

Jul 20, 2003
    It pisses me off they turned the Sere 2000 into a flipper.

jfk1110 likes this.
  20. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    They will be displaying at SHOT this year. I personally like several of those new models. For better or worse, China is the future. Japan's day has passed as a cutlery maker. Most of us can also remember when lots of people proudly claimed "I would never carry a Japanese made knife!"