anyone notice the blade steel???

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
  2. RIP Dequincy Jynxie

RIP Dequincy Jynxie Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2020
    it's a BEAUTIFUL handle + blade shape combination

if I didn't have to deal with paying medical bills and buying all these darn fruitcakes, you can bet I'd take it to pair with my 26c3 Horsewright Cowboy (similar knife, the two would make a killer combo - one in SS one in carbon - just because it's necessary :))

then again, I'd also buy the filet knife they have in 1095 (if it's still there, that's one of the most exciting blades I've seen in a while, and sadly one of the few I can't find a way to justify right now either :()

edit:

35 is a nice steel

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Yes actually, the day it listed and every time I've went to the site and lusted after it since... wishing I could afford it and one of Joey's smaller chef knives for a cook book I've been slowly working on for a while now, Covid hasn't exactly been my friend...

RIP Dequincy Jynxie likes this.
  4. James River

James River Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2019
    I have been watching that one for a while... also the one on New Rivers website.

5. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    That is CPM154CM steel.

6. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    WTF???

someone needs to be fired or at least reprimanded!

7. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I noticed it was cpm154..... put on your glasses. :D It is s nice knife......and steel.

Fiddleback, B Griffin and Bmurray like this.
  8. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    CPM 154 with its hint of eutectic carbides paired with a strong showing of retained austenite combine on the palate with the bold body centered cubic vanadium in just the right proportion to pop! The added chromium and and silicon only make it all the more complex. Makes S35V seem like a saltine cracker with margarine by comparison.

Bmurray, consider this your formal reprimand. Also, isn't it interesting that Bmurray becomes blurry with autocorrect. Coincidence? I think not.

9. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    English please. :eek:

RIP Dequincy Jynxie likes this.
  10. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    whatever. you know they changed it.

B Griffin likes this.
  11. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Even better, that's the same steel Joey usually uses for his chef's knives, so they'd match :D

Fiddleback likes this.