Anyone one who punches tip ends

Do yours come out straight and even?

Like 3/10 comes even on both sides for me. I check the spacing on both sides and after I punch it. One side is longer on the edge and other further up and uneven.

I have to sit there with a blade and slice the other side to even it out so it doesn't look lopsided.

Some leather I can leave an impression in the leather and adjust the punch. Some textured leathers I can't and have to rely on eyeing the spacing on either side

Even built a tool with a fixed side piece and adjustable left piece to make sure the punch is straight. Problem is. Punch width is imperial and strap width is metric, so tool isn't of much use.

Anyone have a good method or just eye balling it?

Thanks

DON

I eyeball it. I've had lots of practice, LOTS! I still use a roundknife now and then to true one up.

Thanks. On smooth leathers I can leave an impression and adjust, but I also have leathers with certain textures which you can't see when you press on them

Should have punched this one from the back side. Smooth liner

O thick leather, I sometimes hammer the punch hard enough to break through the other side. I'm very careful aligning my punches so that the front and back sides are even. Before stitching, I use an inverse punch on the back side. I never use punches that make large holes, but prefer to use a stitching awl if the holes are a bit tight. That's a lot of work, but the results are much better.

I use a stitching wheel to roll marks for the holes. Then use a very small drill bit in a dremel and drill the holes. The drill bit is about the same size as the needles I use, so probably 1/32". I hold the sheath in one hand and the dremel in the other, line it up and drill by eyeball. They come out neat and aligned very nicely. I have tried punching, but that wasn't nearly as clean or straight.

Back