Anyone recognize this Made in Japan SOG?

KenHash

Gold Member
I discovered a Japanese Knifemaker named Tomoyuki Nemoto, who designs and makes tactical knives and
weaponry. He is a former Japan Ground Self Defense Force (their Army) paratrooper.
The knife is called the "Kinryu" with an overall length of 25.1cm (9.88"), Blade length of 13cm (5.11") and
a blade width of 4mm (0.157"). The material is Aus8A and the handles are Micarta, and the sheath is Kydex
with Tek Lok. He has a site but its not in English.
What surprised me was discovering information that he had made this knife at one time for SOG, as can be seen in the last photo. It certainly wasn't recently as it's the square SOG logo. Has anyone ever run across this knife? Was ever marketed in the U.S. and if so I wonder what SOG called this model.
Rather than some of "new" stuff they've introduced for 2015, if they brought this knife to market with VG10 or better,
I would buy it without much thought.

NemotoSP-04%20copy_zpspysqaxmx.jpg

NemotoSP-03%20copy_zpstyzq7i7y.jpg

20987-1%20copy_zpswrfawiep.jpg

Last edited:
Fasciniating, clearly not an "official" SOG model at all.
This letter from Chris at SOG explains it very clearly:

"Here is the story as I know it for the Nemoto knife. The knife is/was being made by one of our vendors in Japan. We never actually designed or approved the knife for production. Apparently they started making it and selling it as a SOG knife in Japan with out our authorization. That is why it is not technically available in the US. As for getting one, I will check here and see if we are getting any, because at onetime I heard scuttlebutt that we were going to get some here but I have not see any or heard any updates for quite sometime."
Thank You
Chris Cashbaugh
Marketing Director
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools Inc."

This makes the most sense. Al Mar had an identical problem with G.Sakai for a while.
The knife as the "SOG Version" is discontinued by seems to show up every now and then in auctions and
individual sales. Seems alot of Russian stores may still have them as old inventory. The odd background and controversy makes me want to pick one up (LOL). I think the design and use of as kydex/tek lok sheath amd micara handle far exceeds what SOG was generally offering back in 2004. SOG should have jumped on this one.

The post from 11 years ago are really interesting. Clearly some folks at SOG knew about this, and perhaps
they secretly wished it would be brought to market. The post suggesting that Kinryu is Nemoto's maker as well as SOG's fixed blades (other than the high endf Hattori ones) makes sense and I consider it likely.
SOG has used Hattori, G.Sakai and Kinryu as OEM makers. G.Sakai is still their Folder maker.Kinryu was making the fixed blades like Tsunami, NW Ranger, Seal 2000/ Seal Pup etc, until SOG dropped them for Taiwan production. Kinryu since then however makes the Aus8A SRKs and some of the smaller Sanmai's for Cold Steel.

Thanks for the forum links.

Given the complications of managing the company at that point of time, i figure the powers that be at sog knives were not too keen in expanding the product line with custom collaborations. Come to think of it, the nemoto was like a high tech starship when compared with standard sog knives products of that period. I m speculating that sog knives was at a situation in which it could ill afford to risk introducing such a radical departure from its known accepted designs. But seeing how things turned out designwise in sog knives today, makes it all the more like fiction...

Agree completely. This knife could sell today in 2015, 11 years later. SOG are you reading this? Kinryu is still making these, Nemoto is stll in business, and the Yen to US Dollar exchange rate is the lowest it's been in like 7 years. The Kinryu with it's Aus8A is retailing in the Japanese domestic market for about USD 130-140 equivalent. Just request VG10 be used on a limited run, bring to the US market at $300 retail and you could make heads turn towards SOG again. I normally charge for consuting. LOL. seriously.

Agree completely. This knife could sell today in 2015, 11 years later. SOG are you reading this? Kinryu is still making these, Nemoto is stll in business, and the Yen to US Dollar exchange rate is the lowest it's been in like 7 years. The Kinryu with it's Aus8A is retailing in the Japanese domestic market for about USD 130-140 equivalent. Just request VG10 be used on a limited run, bring to the US market at $300 retail and you could make heads turn towards SOG again. I normally charge for consuting. LOL. seriously.

It is a great looking blade. And you are right. Get a premium steel on it and make a quality kydex sheath and it would turn heads.

Back