Anyone ride a bike?

I know this is a little off topic but I got a new bicycle and I'm pretty darn excited.

I saw a thread a while back about mountain bikers and there seemed to be a lot of them. I have a decent mountain bike, a Raleigh M60, but I just bought a Lemond Reno. I have never owned a road bike before and its a very different feeling but man does it fly down the road.

Here is a pic of it.
prod_08lemond_reno.jpg

I have been riding my mountain bike on a 10 mile loop but hopefully I will be able to go alot further on this bike. I might even to a 150 mile ride later this year.

Anyone else ride a skinny tire bike?

wow man sweet bike.

i have a roadbike that i ride everywhere within 10 miles, and quite a few places outside of those limits. the nice thing about a bike is that there is no insurance, no gas and no car payments of course. also nice and quiet and you get to see what's going on around you a bit better.

of course when you are riding down the road breathing hard and inhale a bug that's no fun. i did it twice in one week last spring. some protective goggles/glasses are a good idea by the way.

Some people have payments as those bikes can cost as much as a used car:p Great looking bike. I mountain bike myself but I am looking to get a Off Road Go Ped for riding trails.

I was out on my mountain bike sat. only my 5th ride since getting the screws removed from my leg. I'm having to relearn to ride. I have an older Raleigh Lemond also very fast, but I like my GT mountain bike better.

I really do love the feel of skinny tires pumped up hard and how they feel with smooth pavement humming beneath them. It's a simple pleasure and one that helps me burn off extra calories to boot!

Your bike looks pretty slick! It must weigh next to nothing. Right now I ride an old lugged steel Bridgestone with moustache bars. It's comfortable for me and the frame and wheels are stout enough to ride on cinder trails (old regraded train beds) and even a bit of mild off-roading. Fun stuff!

Anyone else ride a skinny tire bike?

No..... they are for dorks.

Just kiddin'. As soon as I have the money, I want to get a set of skinnys for my mountain bike, that way I can switch back and forth.

Nice looking bike by the way.

Last edited:
I prefer to bike pretty much everywhere. My main transportation. As with knives, I'm not much of a bike snob. No derailers for the most part. All alley rats. The regular rider is an old Huffy three speed converted to fixed gear. The shopping bike is a Worksman three speed. Built like a motorcycle, but never lets me down. Lately, I've been riding a two speed kickback equipped Schwinn from 1970. My mountain bike was a singe speed coaster brake conversion. But I gave it away to someone who needed a ride, and I rarely do serious mountain biking. Any bike can do the fire road stuff, anyhow, which is the most dirt i do anymore. No aluminum frames around here. Barely any aluminum cranks. Just simple, reliable bikes.

I've been thinking about making a motorized bicycle lately. I've seen a few around town lately, and was very impressed with the pickup and speed. Bicycles retrofitted with a small internal combustion engine. Street legal around here, with some caveats. They're basically like really ancient motorcycles. Remain ridable as bicycles if the engines give up the ghost. Seem like a really fun projects, or serious transportation.

nice bike man...:thumbup: i have only recently started road riding.. i love it... i scored a nice older canonondale from a friend of mine..

i have been a mtn. biker for going on 16 years now..

road riding is great.. the doc recomended it, after 2 knee surgeries in the past 5 years, i used to ride a lot of singlespeed mtn. bikes...

here's my trusty steed.. an 8 speed SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON .. this thing rips...:D it's an over-grown BMX...

IMG_1991.jpg

I ride bike for going to and comming back from job.
On weekend, sometimes go riding mountain terrain winding road.
Its hard but very much fun. Sometimes I crash and ouch! ;)
Also it helps me to prepare for winter climbing.

I used to mountain bike (1990 ROCKY MOUNTAIN custom Blizzard, still ahve it) a LOT, every day, most nights, did some road racing and long distance riding on a Lightspeed road bike and TT bike. Did lots of charity rides for good causes. Crashed HARD in the mid 90's, screwed up my body pretty good at high speeds, sustained several concussisons and mouth & speech damage, not mention all the knee damage.

no w i ride a 1956 Schwinn Typhoon single speed cruiser.

Congrats!!! I own a few bikes, all worth more than my car :)

Lemond makes a great bike. Try and keep the rubber side down, and remember, car v. bike....car always wins!!

I got a 1996 Schwinn/Yeti racing Mnt. Bike that gets heavy use. I used to race norba when i lived in NY. Now in the lowcountrty just taking it it easy and covering a lot of ground.

The up side is its good to keep in shape and also discover places really quick.

The downside is you dont get to take in all that nature when you are moving and more importantly you need to remember that when you "ride" in it takes a lot longer to "walk" out

Great looking bikes. I bought a beat up mens 26" Sears & Roebuck "Free Spirit" single speed w/coaster brake (diamond frame) circa 1970,from the local salvation army store. Took it home stripped it down,cleaned up the parts I decided to re-use. Replaced the wheels with Schwinn rims and a Bendix coaster circa 1960. Replaced the pedals,seat and handle bars (chopped a couple-o-inches off the bars.)Repainted the frame with Krylon satin black and painted the first few inches of the fork leg Krylon gloss white for a little two tone effect. Looks and rides great, I use it for exercise around the neighborhood.

**EDIT** If you're into bikes,new,old or homebuilt google "RAT ROD BIKES" lots of info and family friendly too.

Last edited:
That is a nice looking bike you got yourself. I've never been a road rider, but I got my first fat tire back in '86. I'm lucky to live only 15 minutes from the best trail in the state.

Jeff

I got a 1996 Schwinn/Yeti racing Mnt. Bike that gets heavy use. I used to race norba when i lived in NY. Now in the lowcountrty just taking it it easy and covering a lot of ground.

The downside is you dont get to take in all that nature when you are moving and more importantly you need to remember that when you "ride" in it takes a lot longer to "walk" out

One thing about being a knife/gear guy, you can fix a ton of stuff. when my buddys break crap, they just wait for me to fix it. It's kind of stupid really. I should start playing dumb.

Congrats on the new bike, Lemond makes some quality products.

I have 4 bikes in the garage and ride at least 3 of them every week. My latest is a Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike. I mostly mountain bike but I also commute to work. The cyclocross allows me to hit some dirt trails on the way home and still go almost as fast as my road bike on the road.

I'm not really into bikes (not enough money) but very into cycling / mountain biking. My road cycle is a vintage 60's or 70's Schwinn, from back when Schwinn was good and it is my preferred method of getting around. Your bike looks like a much lighter and nicer ride! I hope you find plenty of time to get out and ride. Hurtling down hills at 35mph with a road bike and skinny tires between your legs is quite a different feeling from tackling MTB trails indeed!

Originally Posted by grateful_fred View Post

One thing about being a knife/gear guy, you can fix a ton of stuff. when my buddys break crap, they just wait for me to fix it. It's kind of stupid really. I should start playing dumb. [end quote]

Yeah it helps being a knife/gear guy and able to tinker on our bikes. Also if we go really far and run into some problems with our bike or the weather; we are more prepared to deal with a day or more in the woods. I would to see a pink spandex wearing Lance wannabe handle a cold night in the woods :D A friend of mine use to ride his bike everyday to work and during the years he also suffered some hits and crashes. When he went to his Chiropractor for the first time; he was easily identified as a bike rider:p I have never suffered a bad injury while on a bike but I have felt tension in my knees before and question whether or not I should ride. So now I'm looking to "Go Ped" out there. It's easily transportable in your car and at 50lbs it can be wheeled out if necessary. Heck even hidden/buried then retrieved later if that is what you needed to do. They take some skill and knowledge to fix. But since my RC car is powered by a two stroke I am gaining more knowledge on these motors and feel that soon enough I should buy one and hit the trails.

I just got back from taking one with the kids. We try to get out every day. I would be embarrassed to even post a picture of our bikes but for recreation it is just fine. I have a Schwinn mountain bike with a "boinger" front shock that works fine for cracks and divots in the road and it cost me $169. :D I am in the big time now!

dodgeem33

Gold Member
I ride a Motobecane Vent noir road bike. I've got one stinkin narrow bridge between home and work that people fly across otherwise I'd ride to work.