1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anyone rit dye dark gray g10 yet?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Trvrdgr1234, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Trvrdgr1234

Trvrdgr1234 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I just placed an order for the Para 3 in maxamet, now I am thinking how nice it would look with maroon/burgundy scales

I've never dyed scales before and the gray seems relatively dark so I figured I see about anyone else's experience good or bad

Thanks

2. JLeBlanc

JLeBlanc

May 13, 2019
    I have not actually tried rit dyeing G-10, but my understanding is that lighter (original) colors do best, while darker colors are more challenging. Although, if you're going for a maroon/burgundy, perhaps that is within the range of possibilities with a gray starting color? The "maxamet gray" is a rather dark gray though, darker than say, the "cruwear gray."

3. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    That grey is pretty dark but if your going to try for a dark maroon it may still work. I dyed a desert tan emerson. I was going for brown. I wanted a dark brown but ended up at with a dark greyish brown. It still looked good but wasnt the exact color I wanted. If you do it, go into it with no exact expectations.

Clean the scales before with dish soap.

4. Trvrdgr1234

Apr 29, 2019
    Yeah I will be okay with a pretty big range of color I just want some thing a bit more then grey for such an interesting steel

Is yours holding up well without wearing out?

Thanks I hadn't given any thought to pre cleaning yet some dawn should knock out any oil res

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for and hopefully it wouldn't just go strait to black because I would be dying and dark color with a dark dye

5. Trvrdgr1234

Apr 29, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Didnt go so well lol

Got some micarta for it